Trip Report The Griswolds go to Orlando!! Live trip report...or something like it. Pictures on page 11 !!

Alright, I'm to give it a go at doing a live trip report. This way it will be easier for me to remember what we do. Hold fast folks, I might not be able to add photos until we get back but I'll try.

As some of you know, we had a 7 hour flight delay yesterday which nixed any chance of park time but we muddled through it. We ended up getting our APs via guest services at CityWalk which was convenient.

Day One: Universal.

Diagon Alley.......Holy crap. This place is amazing. The details are to top notch and there's no denying what they've done here. The ladies did Gringott's and they loved it. The train crossing into the other park was awesome. The only let down was Cat in the Hat. I must have missed the memo but it has almost no spinning now.

So, right now we're waiting on the girls to finish the Hulk and then it's chow time at Mel's. More to come!

draybook

Original Poster
Had a pretty good day at the Studios. It was busier than normal and hot, but enjoyable. This was our first time dining at Mama Melrose and probably our last. The food was good but the service was slow.

Now we're at Walmart....yay.

GeekDad

I forgot to mention that I peeked at the bounce back offer and there was no mention of Free Dining. I had heard one of the front desk ladies say to a guest that POFQ wasn't going to be included next year but if that was the case then the brochure would have had the resorts excluded.......So take that for what it's worth.

Both Port Orleans resorts were excluded from the public free dinning offer for this Fall. I was a little surprised by Riverside being excluded but FQ is small and seems to be very popular so I'm sure that is being looked at by Disney as a reason to not need to offer free dining there anymore.

I'm not surprised that they are excluding it from the bounce back offers for next year if they are no longer going to include it in the regular public offerings.

draybook

Original Poster
What has me befuddled is that even with Free Dining I would say that the resort is at about 45-50% capacity. That's just based on the amount of open windows showing empty rooms that we see so it's not an exact science of course.

Guess it's a good thing that we planned on renting DVC points next year.

stevehousse

What has me befuddled is that even with Free Dining I would say that the resort is at about 45-50% capacity. That's just based on the amount of open windows showing empty rooms that we see so it's not an exact science of course.

Guess it's a good thing that we planned on renting DVC points next year.
I'm sure based on the fact that they weren't included in the free dining promotion this year, equates to lots of empty rooms. I know lots of people who initially had a reso here for their stay, changed them over to CSR and CBR because of the promotion exclusions.

DisneyGigi

We booked the bounceback when were there. There were no exclusions on our brochure, other than campsites and 3 br villas Even says Port Orleans Resort under the moderate category picture.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
We booked the bounceback when were there. There were no exclusions on our brochure, other than campsites and 3 br villas Even says Port Orleans Resort under the moderate category picture.
Looking at the pic now, it does say Port Orleans Resort but the pic is of Riverside so maybe FQ is excluded.

draybook

Original Poster
Nope, just looked again and it's only the room discounts. But, since we have APs now and the TiW card we're not worried about it too much. Just seems odd to not have the offer there.

Then again, after the fiasco we've experienced here this year I think we needed a break from this resort.

draybook

Original Poster
Today has been a good day. So far we've barely needed the fastpasses and most waits are 20 minutes or less. Justin and I have combined for about 12 or 13 Galactic Hero buttons from Buzz. We've come up with an almost foolproof method to maxing out both of our scores each ride. He always gets it and if I don't then I still end up around 600-700k.

Tonight is the last MNSSHP for us, but we still have 8 days to go. Luckily, the sky has been cloudy, so even with the humidity the sun hasn't been beating down on us. Plus, I picked up a small spray bottle and that has been a huge factor in keeping me cooled off.

One observation though; does anyone remember when the little airplane projection last worked in the EPCOT model on the Peoplemover?

We're sitting here at BoG for the third time this trip, you jealous? Pardon me while I consume this delicious steak!

draybook

Original Poster
@draybook since you need a break from that resort you should do cbr we are in Jamaica and we got a renovated room! It is so nice and quiet!

Yeah, it looks like we're planning to do two trips next year, according to my wife. I think each one will be for a week. We're thinking of trying the last week in August and the first MNSSHP, and then the other trip in the beginning of December. I think she said that we're gonna do AKL for the December trip so we'll take a look at CBR. How is the bus situation from CBR to the MK? I know that we don't plan on driving there anymore if we can help it, the bus system is way better for that park if the resort is nonstop.

Tinkerbella16

Loving the live report!!! Sorry for all of the mishaps at POFQ! I love that resort but I am praying we have none of those issues when we stay there in Nov. It is good to branch out and stay somewhere else for a change. I have been checking wait times since the beginning of this month and I am almost swayed on going the 1st week of Sept next trip because.. Well I have never seen Soarin and Test Track with a 10 minute wait EVER! The most I saw 7DMT was 40 minutes during that week too! I am just torn because of the heat/humidity/rain during that time. That is the only thing stopping me. I am spoiled by the near perfect weather in November.

Enjoy the rest of the 8 days you are there!!!

Disneydreamer23

Yeah, it looks like we're planning to do two trips next year, according to my wife. I think each one will be for a week. We're thinking of trying the last week in August and the first MNSSHP, and then the other trip in the beginning of December. I think she said that we're gonna do AKL for the December trip so we'll take a look at CBR. How is the bus situation from CBR to the MK? I know that we don't plan on driving there anymore if we can help it, the bus system is way better for that park if the resort is nonstop.
. The bus system has been so nice! We have been here since Saturday parks every day and no issues also is raining a little hope the headless horseman came out for u today!!

draybook

Original Poster
. The bus system has been so nice! We have been here since Saturday parks every day and no issues also is raining a little hope the headless horseman came out for u today!!

Yeah, he trotted through. However, the silo float broke down so they had to pull it with a tug. That put them a few minutes behind so the cowgirls and boys weren't dancing and the villains were rushed through.

FlaggNL

Love the live report! Makes us wanna go even more and more! Hope we have a lot of good experiences as you describe! Enjoy the rest of your trip and keep us posted :) Today it's a month waiting time left for us!

draybook

Original Poster
So we overslept a bit today. We made it to Animal Kingdom around 9:30. By the time we got tthrough the turnstiles it was about 9:45 so I canceled our FPs and made new ones that were even better. It was raining when we left the resort but it tapered off and thank goodness, because we did the Safari first and the rain brought out the animals, including the growingly elusive lions.

As a matter of fact, the male was out roaring while the 3 females were laying around. I don't think we've ever seen all of them out at once like today. Now we're finishing up our lunch at Pizzafari and back to the rides we go. Have a great day folks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom