The Greatest Trip, lucky 13th!!

Great Trip of Trips 12/26--1/3

Dec. 26--Friday

My two parents, my 19yo sister, and my 20yo self left our home on the beaches of NJ at 230am Christmas night. The temperature was in the mid 20s. I fell right asleep in the backseat of our Jeep Grand Cherokee Loredo and did not awaken until crossing into North Carolina, which was about the time when the sun was shining bright. I95, as I was told from my parents who switched on and off, was empty and that we were "making good time." When driving, we have very minimal rest stops, and everyone must go so there are no unneccessary stops. Anyway, we made it to S. Carolina and got stuck in so much traffic for no apparent reason--we'd get caught up, drive 10mph, and then go back to 70 with no signs of construction or accidents. S. Carolina was awful, Georgia was easy, and Florida was bad. Much construction on I95 AND I4, so we took some back rodes--I dont really know the numbers. There was no construction, but the speed limits at some points went down into the 30s. Regardless, we arrived at the Yacht Club Resort at around 10pm. It was one of the worst drive downs ever--out of 11 (we flew once)--b/c of incessant traffic. It was, however, my 21st birthday all car drive down, so that lightened the mood somewhat.

We arrived at Yacht Club and had a very swift check-in. When we went to our room, which we got with an AP discount for 180/night, we were pleasantly surprised to see we had an upgrade to lake view. We overlooked Crescent Lake, saw Epcot, Stormalong Bay in the distance, the BoardWalk area by ESPN, and the wedding gazebo from the 4th floor. We were so excited we did not even see that our room had not been cleaned from the previous vacationers. The beds were made, but that was all. So we called down, they apologized, and gave us a comp dinner for ESPN to use whenever.

The room was amazing, 2 queen beds and a daybed, which I slept on. Much larger and much more storage in closets with doors and many chests with drawers than our favorite Caribbean Beach. We were so very tired that we unpacked and went to bed.

Dec 27--Saturday
On our first full day, we awoke at 8ish, got ready, and went to BoardWalk Bakery. The food was quite good and fluffy. I later went for a run--3 miles--and my sister and I went to Stormalong Bay which was jsut asgreat as we remembered it, though we've never stayed at Yacht Club before, go figure??!! :animwink: My parents went to the quiet pool and sunned themselves and they happened to run into fellow teachers they work with, so they all had a good time talking. My sis and I checked out some other pools in the Epcot area. It was in the mid 70s all day. We had our comp meal at ESPN, the buffalo wings were exceptional, and my steak was good. We had a great time, then went back to our balcony to watch IllumiNations. Watched some Disney Resort TV, which annoyed my parents, and we went to bed. The next days are all at the parks, and more fun to write about!! haha

surfsupdon

Original Poster
The rest of it!!

December 28th--Sunday

Our first day at the parks!! We awoke at 645 viewed a wedding in the gazebo as we got readied, had breakfast in the Yacht Club lobby, and marveled at the decorations. The lobby itself was very elegantly appointed, as was the room. They had a huge Christmas tree in the middle with many a white light on it, and a village underneath with a working train. The balconies were adorned with wreaths and were draped and decorated with greenery and lights.
We walked to MGM and got there a little after opening at 8. The park was nicely empty and we went on ToT and RnRC multiple times. The new seat belts added a great feel to the elevators. We went on each four times, and when the waits reached 25 mins, we FP'd ToT. We then explored other parts of the park, had a very funny encounter with Carlotta Diamond at the Tip Board, got my picture with her, then rode Star Tours and Great Movie Ride with little to no waits. Went back to the Tower, had a great ride, and left the park to go back to the pools for sunning as the weather was in the 70s again.
We had lunch at poolside at Hurricane Hanna's and laid around for a bit, swam, played tennis, and relaxed.
That night we went to Magic Kingdom by bus at 6ish and he park was more packed than we ever expected--we waited 30 mins for Pirates and decided that we had to leave. We took a monorail to Grand Floridian to take some Christmas pictures and it was beautiful. From there, we walked back over to Polynesian b/c this was the night of the surprise dinner me and my sis had for our parents at OHANAS for them being the best parents and thank yous for all the trips. The PS was for 810, we sat at 832, but did have the window seat I requested so it was okay. The food was delicious, entertainment fun, and we watched WISHES from our table. My mom got teary eyed and my dad said this whole evening was great. The turkey and pork were so tender, and the fresh pineapple with warm caramel for dessert was delectible. This was our best meal of the vacation!!
Afterwards, my parents went back to our room and me and my sis went back to MK, now 1015. It was snowing on Main Street and the park was like a different park--completely empty. We went on all the Mtn rides with waits under 30 mins, and walked on Haunted Mansion which previously had a 70 mins wait. We got back to the room by midnight and went to bed, but not before telling our parents they prolly missed the best night at MK b/c of the short waits and snowy skies.

December 29th--Monday

We slept in till 830 b/c we had a PS for Chef Mickey's at 945, which was our very first character breakfast. This was also the prearranged day it was decided that we would celebrate my birthday b/c a car ride all day on your birthday stinks, and if you turn the '6' around it makes a '9' so we celebrated my 21st bday on the 29th in lieu of the 26th. We got seated right away at the Contemp. and were in one of the smaller rooms with 5 tables in the back at the window overlooking the Castle and Space Mtn. The food was great and the characters paid very good attention to us. We got great pictures and our waitress had all the characters come over at once for my bday and we got a group shot. Chip even fed me my birthday muffin and Minnie motioned Mickey has yet to give her a wedding ring and she needed a guy, a tall guy like me. Very funny and cute.
Afterwards, we went to Caribbean Beach for the afternoon to check it out. It's a great place that we love, having staying there 11 times prior. As much as we loved it--and still do--we realized that the Yacht Club is much better, but we would stay at CB again if YC was not available. We shopped and had lunch there, and went to our old room we ALWAYS get, 5257!! I got all teary eyed b/c the memories there are so strong and it really is a beautiful place. Of course I was still wearing my birthday hat all day and living it up!! Back at Yacht Club, we saw another wedding with Mickey and Minnie in attendance and a live violinist.

At night, we walked to Epcot and saw CandleLight Processional with Gary Sinese. It was amazing and powerful and really made us think of the real meaning of Christmas and to stop rushing around and appreciate everything. We ate footlong hotdogs as a family--its a DisneyWorld Epcot tradition to do--as we waited in line, 45 mins prior to the show. Well worth the wait!!!! After the show, we went to Mission Space and were dissappointed to see a 180 mins wait. As I was walking back to tell my family the bad news, a girl CM, about my age, yelled Happy Birthday and we started talking for a good 5 mins. When it was over, she said Happy Bday and gave me free tickets for TT and MS. I could not believe this!!!! We went right on MS and it was absolutely one of the best rides I had ever ridden. My sis got a bit disoriented, but we all liked it a lot. Amazing I think, especially when you bypass the line completely!! And Gary Sinese was very well casted! I regret badmouthing the ride even before I rode it...never have I ever felt a sensation like that, with the visuals and g forces. I already wrote a letter on behalf of that excellent CM!! At Test Track, I met Kenan in person for the first time and we had good conversation for awhile. He's a great guy and a really good friend. Thanks Kenan!! He of course picked me out b/c of my birthday hat which I never took off the whole day! We had some good laughs and then I left, but every time I was atEpcot, I made it a purpose to find Kenan and talk--we had a good time. Later that night, we then walked around Word Showcase, always spending most of the time in Norway b/c of our heritage, and got some cool pictures and awesome gifts! We walked back to our room, went for a quick swim, and then into bed!

December 30th--Tuesday

We awoke and went to MK and went on all the big rides with very little waits if at all. We were there till about noon, left and went back to the pool. It was our first cloudy day so me and my dad drove to RonJon (which still is not like "The Original" here in Jersey) and checked out the beach and store. Very different than the beach right outside my doorstep, but just as beautiful. We got back to Yacht Club and me and my sis went out to Epcot for more MS and TT passes that the friendly CM girl gave to me, and more Epcot rides like Imagination, HISTA, etc, and we had a great night. I talked to Kenan some more but he saw me first this time. I also met many more Test Track CMs who were so funny and high energy. We happened to run into our parents in China, and we stumbled upon the Julenissen in Norway who still brings presents to us each Christmas. We got a picture with him. A great day, just cloudy weather, but went on good rides many times and talked with Kenan again and had some fun with my parents' friends' kids. We went to MGM at night for our first ever viewing of Fantasmic which we had always wanted to do, but never had the time. Needless to say we were a little dissappointed, it's a good show, just not as slam bang as we expected! We went to Tubbi's for dinner at the Dolphin b/c their pizza is very good.

December 31st--Wednesday

We awoke early, had breakfast at the Resort, and then went to MK at opening and went on a whole bunch of rides. It was not as crowded as we expected early on, but we did have to leave by 11 b/c it just got out of hand. We then went on ToT at MGM and walked back to the pool to tan and swim, and my parents like it there b/c their friends are there as well and they have kids that are my age. Played more tennis, worked out, and swam a lot. That evening, we walked into Epcot and had a PS at Biergarten in Germany for 645. My mom and I danced on stage, the food was good and plentiful, and the atmosphere was perfect for New Years Eve. We were even there when Germany celebrated their New Years actually in Germany and the place went nuts!! It was a really good time. We went on MS and TT again with more tickets that we had from the sweet CM, and went on Imagination again. I'm pretty sure I hung out with Kenan again at TT. The park was crowded but managable. We spent the evening from 930 on at the Japan pavilion at the video dance party. Me and my sis were on the big screen a lot of the time, and my parents had a good time with their friends. Me and my sis danced a lot, met some nice 20somethings who were funny and we rang in the New Year, even if it was a few minutes late at Epcot that night. The fireworks were amazing, made the entire ground shake, and left the thickest cloud of smoke. It was unbelievable, something unforgettable. We danced a bit more after, then walked back to our Resort at 1245. Best ever b/c we dealt with NO TRAFFIC!! Last year taking the bus to Caribbean Beach was pretty bad! We had a great New Years!

Jan 1st--Thursday

We slept in till 930ish, had breakfast downstairs, and worked out in the morning, walking, running, and tennis. All day, we relaxed at the pool with temps in the lower 80s. It was downright HOT. For dinner, we ate at Olive Garden at CrossRoads and had an excellent meal. I love fake Italian food so much more than hardcore Italian!! We went to bed early, only after watching the fireworks from our balcony again.

Jan 2nd--Friday

Our last day. We awoke early at 645 and went to MK. We went on all the rides we hadnt riden before, Fantasyland and the other more children rides. My dad brought with him a picture of Snow White and him from 1973 on the steps of City Hall, in hopes of showing someone and being able to recreate it. We just laughed at him and never thought he'd be able to get it. We asked at Guest Relations and they told him she'd be meeting for photos in Toontown. While waiting for her, my dad struck up a conversation with a CM, not wearing the traditional clothing but much more professional, and she said "I'll make it happen." She makes a few phone calls and comes back saying to meet Snow on the steps of City Hall at 245. We got so excited, but we had time to kill. We went on many rides now that the park was much more empty, Fastpassed the big stuff, did Tom Sawyers, TTA, all of Fantasyland, Adventureland, more mountains, jsut had a great time--I even got a picture with Cruella DeVille, my absolute favorite whom I can never find. It was getting close to meeting time, so we made our way to City Hall as the parade was going by. Someone must have told Snow about the meeting right after b/c she looked over on the steps of City Hall, where we were waiting, and my dad raised his picture up real high above the crowds, she noticed it, waved, blew a kiss, mouthed seeya soon, and got all excited. Not 5 minutes later, Snow walked out of City Hall, gave my dad a big hug, he kissed her hand, she said she's missed him all these years and remembered the picture she had taken with him, haha, and that neither of them ahve changed one bit. The lady CM who made this all happen was there and roped the area off so we had a private photo session with Snow. We took pictures, talked to her, took video, and had a great time. She kissed us all, and was being very affectionate and touchy and played the part GREAT! It was the best experience ever at Disney. She must have been with us for a good 10 mins and a huge crowd gathered and couldnt believe what was going on, nor could we. We spoke to the CM again, got her name and some contact info, and talked with her for a while, she was super and said it was her pleasure.

We left the park and took a monorail to Epcot to go on MS and TT for the last time, Fastpass style. MS was still a super ride 4 rides later, its really unbelievable. But I dont know if thats b/c we really ever waited in the full line--maybe if we waited 180 mins we'd feel different. TT is great as well as long as the wait is kept to a minimal.

We then hopped over to MGM for more ToT and RnRC and went on them many more times. We left MGM at park closing and went to MK for the remainder of the night and did all the mountains, especially Space Mtn, and waited very little in line. Watched SpectroMagic, went on some more slower rides, did Big Thunder again, and ended the vacation with a spin on TTA, one of the best rides I think, haha. We left the park by bus and of course I got all choked up. Whenever I know its my last time at a park, I always turn around and mouth "bye and thank you" to it b/c I do have an amazing time.

We got back to the room, went to bed, had already packed earlier in the day, awoke at 330am and checked out of Yacht Club. It was a great vacation!

SUMMATIONS

-The weather was beautiful this week--upper 70s to lower 80s mostly, with only one day of clouds.
-The crowds were bearable for us--we'd leave the parks by 11ish generally and return to them after 530, laying at the pool all afternoon.
-All restaurants and meals were super, Ohana def. standing out as the best, but was upset b/c I didnt eat any hamburgers b/c of the mad cow thing, just to play it safe, but i love WDW hamburgers!!
-New Years was super and amazing--yet the Osborne Lights were HIGHLY missed.
-Character meals are fun even if you are 21!
-WDW gets better and better the older I get as I appreciate more and more...our 13th trip was the best!!! Caribbean and the then named Dixie Landings really are nothing like Yacht Club!! But I love 'em all!!!
-Yacht Club was amazing and we wont be staying elsewhere for a while, the view, the overlooking of 5 weddings, the pool, the quiet pool, and the decorations and elegant atmosphere all added up to soemthign we had never expected!!!!

Well, if anyone read this, thank you. At the very least I wrote it all down somewhere for my easy reference. And I really hope that your vacations are jsut as good as mine, and that we ALL get to go again sometime very soon!!!:xmas:

Grumpy56

So glad you had an outstanding trip! Yacht Club really does spoil you for anything else. Next time check out the character breakfast at the Beach Club. The food is excellent, lots of character interaction and a bit more mellow than some. (And they have Krispy Kreme donuts on the buffet, be forewarned!) Your description makes me want to take a trip after Christmas this year. Thanks for the trip report!

surfsupdon

Original Poster
Youre right Grumpy, and thanks for the reccommendations. After all, it was your trip report that I read and it calmed my fears about the unknown of staying at a Resort that was not Caribbean Beach. Youre report was the one to get me way excited and painted the Yacht Club in such a wonderful picture. Woohoo!!!!!:xmas:

surfsupdon

Original Poster
I did mean to write that the trip, like all others, ended with my dad on the final day and car ride home saying that we would ..."never be going to Disney again. Let's go someplace else, like an island or Belize--I'm just tired of it."

And every end of trip that upsets me, BUT i have already heard my dad telling friends, family members, and coworkers that he would like to go back for New Years with relatives for a Magical Gathering! But he doesn't know that I know so "shhhhh.";)

And my new avater is a glimpse of our private photo session on the steps of City Hall with Snow White recreating a pic with my dad from 31 years ago. But ths pic is me starting my own Snow White tradition to be redone 30 years from now, haha.

DouglasE

Thanks for writing up your experiences! You had some incredible moments on this trip didn't you!?!

I find it funny how you live at the Jersey shore and you go how many miles for a recreation of Cape May? It's ok. I grew up in South Jersey and spent part of every summer at the Jersey shore and where will I be staying this June? Beach Club Villas! Hahaha!

The more things change the more they stay the same.

I love the picture with you and Snow White. Did you post any more pictures from your trip?

surfsupdon

Original Poster
Hey!

Thanks for reading my experiences!!

It truly was a great time, all members involved voted it at the top of all vacations for the extra special things that happened. Next year we may even be taking the Grandmothers....:sohappy:

The house styles where I live evoke feelings of Yacht and Beach Club, haha, and we have our own Yacht Club and lighthouse right down the rode.

Though we had 9 rolls of film, Snow White was the only picture that I have scanned in. Sorry.

You have a great time at Beach Club, and enjoy all of it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom