The Great British Literature Adventure Ride

Princess Leia

Original Poster
This is something that I posted in the UK ride rumor thread. It would be located on the UK pavilion (plus a little bit of the space where the giant 'tent' is now).

Imagine that you're walking down the UK pavilion, and at the end of the road is an old library, styled like Oxford University's Bodleian library.
oxford-library_1886228b.jpg

You go through the winding queue of library shelves, stacked with books of all ages (but all have English, Scottish, Welsh, and N. Irish authors). You see names like Chaucer, Austen, Shakespeare, Dickens, Conan Doyle, Bronte, Orwell, Travers, and Lewis; their stories you are about to discover. You keep walking, but are the books becoming larger or are you getting smaller?

You turn a corner and see the loading platform. The ride vehicle is a semi-open book. You hear The Librarian (voiced by Julie Andrews) tell you that you will be going on a journey through some of the most beloved tales of the United Kingdom. You step into your (trackless) vehicle, and off it goes, turning the corner around several large books (or it could be a book that opens for you).

The Librarian introduces "The Knight's Tale" from "Canterbury Tales". We see a brief scene from the tournament, and go through another book.

"Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?" To our left the balcony scene from Romeo & Juliet is taking place... on a stage. We see the play's audience to our right. The Bookmobile turns another corner, and from here, there are sections to distinguish different genres of literature.

Tales of Love
The sound of rain patters around us. "In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.'' The proposal/rejection scene from "Pride and Prejudice" occurs as The Librarian mentions how important Jane Austen would be for women in literature. We go through another book and to our left we see Heathcliff haunted by Catherine, and Mr. Rochester being comforted by Jane Eyre to our right. George and Lucy from "A Room with a View" are also represented before we see that...

Tales of Horror are around the corner, The Narrator warns, and we see Dr. Jekyll turn into Mr. Hyde (if Disney can turn a skeleton into Jack Sparrow in Shanghai, they can manage this). Frankenstein's monster is thrown out by Frankenstein (does Universal have the rights to the story or only the film?) and Bram Stoker's Dracula lurks nearby (I know Stoker was Irish, but technically Ireland was part of the UK in his lifetime). We are surrounded by ominous screens and white noise, courtesy of Big Brother (I figured this was probably the best way to include Orwell). We escape through an open book to...

Tales of Adventure
Robert Louis Stevenson is again included with "Treasure Island". We pass a scene of Moby D*** and the whale. Scenes from Beowolf and Robin Hood are seen before we see H.G. Well's The Time Machine, which transports us to...

Tales of Mystery

Agatha Christie's "Murder on the Orient Express" is represented, and we see Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson discussing a case at 221B Baker Street (since Cumberbatch and Freeman are both involved with Disney via Marvel, maybe they could even provide the voices). The Librarian tells us that while she loves all of these stories, we have yet to visit her favorite genre...

Tales of Fantasy

The first thing that we see is young Arthur pulling the sword from the stone. Merlin makes magic, and our Bookmobile turns in circles as we enter the next scene, mirroring Alice falling through the Rabbit Hole. Alice waves to us as she falls. "Faith, trust, and a little bit of Pixie Dust"- Peter Pan flies next to us, and 'sprinkles' glitter on us (not really), and the Bookmobile begins to feel like it's flying. Ebeneezer Scrooge flies next to us with the Ghost of Christmas Past. Jane, Michael, Mr. Wigg, and Mary Poppins have a tea party on the ceiling. We slowly begin to sink back to the ground and see a group of royals next to a lamp post. We follow the dimly lit pathway into a wooded area, seeing that it slowly turns into a wardrobe. And from the wardrobe we arrive at the end of the ride as the Librarian tells us that we are always welcome to revisit these stories.

We exit the "library" into a store, packed with books.

TheDuke

I would love a ride like this, it would probably immediately become one of my favorite attractions, but unfortunately I do not think it goes with the current direction of the WS. They seem to want as much as possible to be branded.

I have lots of UK attraction ideas. I'm a big enough anglophile where I'd enjoy an entire UK themed park.

StevenU

This is something that I posted in the UK ride rumor thread. It would be located on the UK pavilion (plus a little bit of the space where the giant 'tent' is now).

Imagine that you're walking down the UK pavilion, and at the end of the road is an old library, styled like Oxford University's Bodleian library.
oxford-library_1886228b.jpg

You go through the winding queue of library shelves, stacked with books of all ages (but all have English, Scottish, Welsh, and N. Irish authors). You see names like Chaucer, Austen, Shakespeare, Dickens, Conan Doyle, Bronte, Orwell, Travers, and Lewis; their stories you are about to discover. You keep walking, but are the books becoming larger or are you getting smaller?

You turn a corner and see the loading platform. The ride vehicle is a semi-open book. You hear The Librarian (voiced by Julie Andrews) tell you that you will be going on a journey through some of the most beloved tales of the United Kingdom. You step into your (trackless) vehicle, and off it goes, turning the corner around several large books (or it could be a book that opens for you).

The Librarian introduces "The Knight's Tale" from "Canterbury Tales". We see a brief scene from the tournament, and go through another book.

"Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?" To our left the balcony scene from Romeo & Juliet is taking place... on a stage. We see the play's audience to our right. The Bookmobile turns another corner, and from here, there are sections to distinguish different genres of literature.

Tales of Love
The sound of rain patters around us. "In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.'' The proposal/rejection scene from "Pride and Prejudice" occurs as The Librarian mentions how important Jane Austen would be for women in literature. We go through another book and to our left we see Heathcliff haunted by Catherine, and Mr. Rochester being comforted by Jane Eyre to our right. George and Lucy from "A Room with a View" are also represented before we see that...

Tales of Horror are around the corner, The Narrator warns, and we see Dr. Jekyll turn into Mr. Hyde (if Disney can turn a skeleton into Jack Sparrow in Shanghai, they can manage this). Frankenstein's monster is thrown out by Frankenstein (does Universal have the rights to the story or only the film?) and Bram Stoker's Dracula lurks nearby (I know Stoker was Irish, but technically Ireland was part of the UK in his lifetime). We are surrounded by ominous screens and white noise, courtesy of Big Brother (I figured this was probably the best way to include Orwell). We escape through an open book to...

Tales of Adventure
Robert Louis Stevenson is again included with "Treasure Island". We pass a scene of Moby D*** and the whale. Scenes from Beowolf and Robin Hood are seen before we see H.G. Well's The Time Machine, which transports us to...

Tales of Mystery

Agatha Christie's "Murder on the Orient Express" is represented, and we see Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson discussing a case at 221B Baker Street (since Cumberbatch and Freeman are both involved with Disney via Marvel, maybe they could even provide the voices). The Librarian tells us that while she loves all of these stories, we have yet to visit her favorite genre...

Tales of Fantasy

The first thing that we see is young Arthur pulling the sword from the stone. Merlin makes magic, and our Bookmobile turns in circles as we enter the next scene, mirroring Alice falling through the Rabbit Hole. Alice waves to us as she falls. "Faith, trust, and a little bit of Pixie Dust"- Peter Pan flies next to us, and 'sprinkles' glitter on us (not really), and the Bookmobile begins to feel like it's flying. Ebeneezer Scrooge flies next to us with the Ghost of Christmas Past. Jane, Michael, Mr. Wigg, and Mary Poppins have a tea party on the ceiling. We slowly begin to sink back to the ground and see a group of royals next to a lamp post. We follow the dimly lit pathway into a wooded area, seeing that it slowly turns into a wardrobe. And from the wardrobe we arrive at the end of the ride as the Librarian tells us that we are always welcome to revisit these stories.

We exit the "library" into a store, packed with books.
Impressive!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom