Trip Report The Great 40th Birthday Bash! [live-ish]

So we're here now, in our hotel room and I'll remind y'all of who is on this trip:

Who: Me and my spouse (whom I'm calling SurlyHobbit or The Hobbit)
When: September 17, 2017 for a 5 night stay
Where: Port Orleans French Quarter

Our flight was uneventful, our room was ready before we arrived, and our Magic Bands weren't working properly when we got to our assigned room, but they got that fixed right away. The Hobbit is bringing the rest of our bags up and then I'm going to walk over to the main building to pick up my ECV. I'd gotten a message from lostpro9het saying that they were over at the Nomad Lounge at AKP. Alas, my Hobbit only got 90 minutes of sleep last night and slept almost the whole flight. He needs at least 2 more hours of sleep before he's even presentable to company other than me.

Picture of the morning: My "Flying to WDW" outfit
eG9hleG7nWdgjUge2

Last edited:

Trisha Lynn

Original Poster
It's Monday morning and I was the first one awake, waking up even before my alarm. Flattening down my impressive post-evening-shower bed head, I made my way over to the main building to find a place to write this and to wait for the hot breakfast (other than just beignets) options to be ready. I took some pictures along the way as well as some video that will be making it to my vlog of today and settled in. While I wait, my phone is backing up my photos to my Google Photos bin and I'll be adding to the Album I've created just for this visit. Once I get back home, I'll be updating this actual trip report with embedded pictures, for those of you who don't want to open the album in another window or tab.

Sitting here in the pre-dawn dark with the sounds of lazy Dixieland sounding a little tinny, as if it was being played on an old-fashioned radio feels just perfect, you know?

Last edited:

Trisha Lynn

Original Poster
Late lunch was too late and we weren't hungry enough to justify the Y&Y dinner reservation. After getting back to our hotel and picking up two drinks from Mardi Grog's, we decided that I would venture forth to bring food back to the room from Sassagoula's and we'd call it a night. And I'm totally okay with that. Gotta conserve energy for the big F&W day tomorrow anyway. ;)

Sorry, @lostpro9het and @imahistorygeek for pooping out again tonight... this being a first-time WDW traveler thing is tough on the stomach and system!

Last edited:

lostpro9het

Late lunch was too late and we weren't hungry enough to justify the Y&Y dinner reservation. After getting back to our hotel and picking up two drinks from Mardi Grog's, we decided that I would venture forth to bring food back to the room from Sassagoula's and we'd call it a night. And I'm totally okay with that. Gotta conserve energy for the big F&W day tomorrow anyway. ;)

Sorry, @lostpro9het and @imahistorygeek for pooping out again tonight... this being a first-time WDW traveler is tough on the stomach and system!
You are on YOUR vacation! Have an awesome time, don't sweat anything, and have a fantastic time!

Trisha Lynn

Original Poster
Have an awesome time, don't sweat anything, and have a fantastic time!

We totally are, but the thought of meeting up with Internet friends is kinda fun for me because most of the "real world" friends I have are due to Internet connections on forums, mailing lists, and stuff. Still, you are right. We're on our vacation, and we are totally happy with having fun on our own. Also, drinking all the things.

Last edited:

Trisha Lynn

Original Poster
It's Tuesday morning, and I'm not sure if it was supposed to have rained last night or what, but the streets of the French Quarter were damp in places, not damp in others. The Sassagoula was completely still, making me wish I'd brought my phone with me so I could take a picture of it. There is always tomorrow morning, of course.

The photos from yesterday are in the album and I did decided to upload one of them here for now:

DAK_Landscape_20170918.jpg

There's this photographer I follow on Twitter named Andrew Ferguson, who had been doing a livestream of him editing down pictures from the Desert Bus 10 charity telethon for Child's Play. He was talking about the "rule of thirds" and how when you edit photos, there are some times when you want to make sure that your composition fits within the thirds; that is, it's a way to make sure that the viewer's eye is drawn to and sees that the picture is perfectly centered and composed. I Tweeted this picture at him yesterday to ask if I'd done the thirds correctly and he said that I did. I feel so pleased.

The other is an animated .gif, and the forums won't allow me to post it, so here's the link:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Hpt5Q3DpPzxPGtxp2

There are these chains in the road that the Kilimanjaro Safari trucks drove over at certain crossings. What are they for? To alert animals that there's going to be a truck coming around the corner?

Last edited:

Trisha Lynn

Original Poster
Pro-tip: Since Chase is no longer sponsoring the F&W festival, if you need to charge an ECV or device that requires AC power, at Epcot there's a pillar near the restrooms at the Liberty Bell that has a grounded outlet. The more you know!

Last edited:

Trisha Lynn

Original Poster
It's Wednesday morning, and the morning of my birthday. The Hobbit was very brave and ventured forth longer into the night and saw a beautiful fireworks show, but he met with calamity at Weathertop and has to have a bit of a lie-in this morning so that he can continue his Long Journey tonight.

OR:

The Hobbit has some court paperwork to file (again) this morning and because he was tired from all the walking yesterday, he needs to have time to work this morning. After I head to MK by myself, we're going to meet up at Epcot for more F&W shenanigans before my character dinner at the Garden Grill.

PIck whichever narrative you like the most as the theme for today. I know which one I've chosen.

(Also: The Album is updated again with images from last night and this morning's scoot over to the Riverside resort.)

Favorite picture from yesterday:
Epcot_Mariachi Conversation_20170919.jpg

These mariachi are having a great musical conversation. They were so good!

Trisha Lynn

Original Poster

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom