The GMR (just my opinion on the reason for the hat)

MajinBuu

Original Poster
I just think they are taking some scenes out and putting in new ones, bang out a new script for the guides and updating the end film. They have updated the film once... could be more but im not sure. The last time I rode it... about a year and a half ago, my all time favorite horror villian Freddy Kruger was in it (albeit a second or two). Whatever reason for closing it, I hope its to update it.

Mattore

GMR is not currently closed, despite the fact that the hat is in front of it. There is also no substantial evidence (other than the hat) that it will be closed anytime in the near future. The finale film has been updated multiple times, most recently to include such films as Shakespeare in Love. In addition, many small changed have been made in the last year, including a new lighting scheme for many of the scenes, some changes to the Alien scene, and others. There is more information on this in previous posts about this subject...

Smee

There will always be a GMR. It may get periodic updates, upgrades, scene changes, etc, but the base ride concept will always be there. Why??, because it is the main ride about the movies in a park primarily about the movies.

I still question the placement of The Hat directly in front of GMR. I always thought the view down Hollywood Blvd was one of the most memorable vistas in WDW. Very much like MK and Main Street.

But I suppose any memorial to Walt takes precedence over all other considerations. WDW was his vision and long before Walt was in the theme park business, he was making movies. With the exception of Epcot, much of the rest of the WDW parks are connected to the Disney movies.

So in some way the placement of The Hat is appropriate, right in the middle of a place all about the movies. Walt, the consumate movie man, would approve.

NowInc

The hat is just there because it is the center peice of the 100th year celebration. They wanted it to seem iconolisitc in its placment...so they put it as the first thing u see when you walk into the park.

The GMR isnt going anywhere...and the hat in front is not a means of distraction for any type of rehab on the ride (thta would be a BAD strategy...you would want to put a distraction as far AWAY from the attraction as possible if that were the case)...

The Good tihng about this whole ordeal is it finally puts a little interest into MGM..which means they may actually start doing stuff with the sound stages...we can only hope...

HBK

The real story about the BAH

The real reason for the hat and it's location are this. Disney apparently owns one of the other theaters in Holywood...and actually has invested quite a bit of money into it.

Guess who owns Ming's Theater?

Universal.

Ei$ner is apparently against giving the competition free advertising, so what's the answer?

A Big A$$ Hat errected in front of the theater.

NowInc

Re: The real story about the BAH

Originally posted by HBK
The real reason for the hat and it's location are this. Disney apparently owns one of the other theaters in Holywood...and actually has invested quite a bit of money into it.

Guess who owns Ming's Theater?

Universal.

Ei$ner is apparently against giving the competition free advertising, so what's the answer?

A Big A$$ Hat errected in front of the theater.

I serioulsy doubt thats the case....I mean disney has ads from other movie companies all over the studios (Fox - Star tours, Indiana jones - Paramount)...it isnt a matter of free advertising..it is a symbol that everyone recognizes...they never ONCE used the theater as a trademark for the park...

HBK

I mean disney has ads from other movie companies all over the studios (Fox - Star tours, Indiana jones - Paramount)
The Star Wars & Indy series attractions are the result of the previous professional relationship Eisner & Lucas shared (although rumors are it's cooled). Fox is just the distributor of the Star Wars films....they are lucas's best (i.e. most lucrative) bridge to the theaters. The have no other input other than getting the movies into the theaters...thus the Disney connection.

Many of the other movies in the studios are MGM owned (as a matter of fact, most of the movies in the GMR are MGM). When the Studios was first opened, Eisner didn't feel that Disney's film portfolio could stand on it's own. Thus the MGM deal. Notice that Disney Studios Paris does not have the MGM tag line.

I got it on a VERY reliable source that the main reason the BAH was errected where it was is in response to the GMR's facade. It wouldn't shock me if they at minimum tear down the facade and replace it. It also wouldn't shock me if GMR is ripped out completely for something new (although I don't think this will happen for many years). It would disappoint me since I really like GMR but the writing appears to be on the accountanteers spreadsheets.

they never ONCE used the theater as a trademark for the park...

It was the first thing you saw as you entered the park, and along with the Earful tower it was considered one of the parks main "calling cards". It was on postcards, promotional videos, it was the ICON streetmosphere photogs used for their pics. It was the ICON....until the BAH came along.

P.S. My source is mainly posts by Another Voice on the DIS BBs. He's got quite a bit of insight to the inner workings of the Disney company and he's always a great read. Check it out some time.

NowInc

I have learned from past expereinces that most "reliable sources" are really the exact opposite....

In my opinion the hat was not put tehre to hide the theater...and they will CERTAINLY not tear down the facade..it is a world renouned landmark (both the real thing and the remake at MGM) adn to get rid of it would be a bad buisness decision. It would be similar to if they decided to take away the Epcot Ball or the Castle from MK...I realize that they are trying to replace the WATER TOWER with the hat..but thats just because the hat is a more recognizable symbol.

Only time will tell...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom