The "Found It on Netflix" Thread

Cosmic Commando

Original Poster
I always think one of the hardest parts of Netflix is actually finding the good stuff on there that you'd want to watch! For anyone who has Netflix but hasn't heard of instantwatcher.com, go there right now. It's what the searching and browsing on Netflix's website should be like. It's amazing.

Anyway, I wanted to start this thread so that we could all alert each other to Disney movies that we stumble across on Netflix. Here's one that I just found today:

70115549.jpg

The Reluctant Dragon - 1941 expires 1/31/2016
"Actor Robert Benchley tours Walt Disney's studio, watching animators, voice actors and musicians at work. The behind-the-scenes action segues into the animated short "The Reluctant Dragon," which follows a boy's meeting with a not-so-fearsome beast."

Last edited:

Genie of the Lamp

Aren't Disney and Netflix on a new deal now that by 2016 majority of Disney films will be on Netflix or something? Don't know the full deals of their contract but I thought I read something like this end of last year-beginning of this year. A hidden gem I will abuse to my advantage.

Cosmic Commando

Original Poster
Aren't Disney and Netflix on a new deal now that by 2016 majority of Disney films will be on Netflix or something? Don't know the full deals of their contract but I thought I read something like this end of last year-beginning of this year. A hidden gem I will abuse to my advantage.
You know the hierarchy of movie releases, right? Theaters, cheap theaters, PPV, premium cable (Starz, HBO), basic cable, broadcast. Netflix at one time got their Disney movies secondhand from Starz. When Disney's contract with Starz ran out, Netflix bid on it directly, beating out other premium cable channels. Beginning with movies released in 2016, Netflix will take over the "premium cable" slot in the release schedule for Disney. About the same time that the 2016 deal was announced (December), there was a bunch of Disney stuff posted on Netflix... Pocahontas, Aristocats, Nightmare Before Christmas, etc. I didn't hear any details of the terms of those movies or how many will be posted eventually or when they're coming, but there have been some more things trickling in since that intial batch. Reluctant Dragon was only released onto Netflix on 2/1.

Cosmic Commando

Original Poster
60021957.jpg

Atlantis: The Lost Empire
- 2001 available until 3/1/2016
"A rare Disney foray into PG-rated animation, this action-filled tale follows the exploits of a group of adventurers led by museum researcher Milo Thatch as they journey thousands of leagues under the sea to the fabled kingdom of Atlantis."

I think this movie gets unfairly lumped in with some stuff like Treasure Planet and Home on the Range, but this is actually worth a look. As the rumors go, this movie was at one point supposed to get a big E-ticket (Adventureland?) in MK.

Last edited:

Cosmic Commando

Original Poster
A slew of Disney TV available today! Don't be fooled by it being lumped in with little kid shows here, Tron: Uprising is supposed to be in the "Clone Wars" mold of suitable for adults and kids. My kids are going to flip out when they see Jake on Netflix.

70275375.jpg

Tron: Uprising (animated series) available until 12/31/2099
"Inside the computer-generated alternate world of the Grid, young Beck is poised to become the next Tron, determined to free his friends from evil Clu. Training to fight and light cycle with Tron's guidance, Beck becomes the leader of a revolution."

70200276.jpg

Jake and the Never Land Pirates available until 12/31/2099
"This animated spinoff of Disney's beloved Peter Pan features young Jake and his friends sailing for treasure in Never Land on their flagship, Bucky. There's plenty of music and adventure on board -- as well as the trickery of their foe, Captain Hook."

Handy Manny, Special Agent Oso and JoJo's Circus are also supposed to be coming per this article, but are not available yet.

Last edited:

Cosmic Commando

Original Poster
70155552.jpg
70275948.jpg
70275949.jpg

Handy Manny, Special Agent Oso and JoJo's Circus have all made their appearances on streaming, as promised. I think I have now seen every episode. :eek:

Lots of new stuff today! My queue bloats more and more... :oops:

First up, there are some DVD transfers of classic Disney animation. Each volume shows up as its own series on Netflix streaming; the first "episode" is play all, then each short is listed individually. I'm skimming these synopses from Amazon reviews of the DVDs, because the official descriptions are only about the "main" short... hopefully they don't lead me astray.

70271616.jpg

Disney Animation Collection 1: Mickey & Beanstalk (2009)
"Mickey and the Beanstalk"--a re-telling of the classic story of "Jack and the Beanstalk", but this time with Mickey, Donald, and Goofy as the heroes. This short was originally planned as a feature film, but due to budget constraints was shortened and included as part of the 1947 movie FUN AND FANCY FREE. This version of the short doesn't include the live action narration with Edgar Bergen, but the animated storytelling of Ludwig Von Drake and Herman the Cricket from the 1963 television airing of the short. "Mickey and Beanstalk" isn't just worth watching because it's a good story, but because it's also the last cartoon that Walt Disney himself did the voice of Mickey Mouse.

"The Brave Little Tailor"--of all the Disney shorts I watched as a kid, "The Brave Little Tailor" was my favorite. Mickey stars as the Tailor. The village he lives in is all worried about a giant. Meanwhile, oblivious to the giant worries, the tailor is trying to work but is pestered by a group of flies. He kills seven with one blow and shouts it out his window just after a peasant asks aloud, "Say, did you ever kill a giant." Thinking he means seven giants and not flies, they bring him to the king who promises the tailor the hand of Princess Minnie if he defeats the giant.

"Gulliver Mickey"--first released in 1934, "Gulliver Mickey" is a black and white cartoon that features Mickey retelling part of the story of Gulliver in Lilliput to his nieces and nephews. This short was later featured as a segment in KINGDOM HEARTS 2.

"Thru the Mirror"--first released in 1936 Mickey falls to sleep while reading THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS and has a dream where he enters the looking glass, dances with a pair of gloves and a pack of cards, and is eventually attacked and chased by those same cards.

"Mr. Mouse Takes a Trip"--first released in 1940. Mickey and Pluto need to get from Burbank to Pomona, but dogs aren't allowed on the train as conductor Pete makes perfectly clear. Mickey sneaks Pluto on the train in his suitcase, but Pete finds out and chases them throughout the train.

70271617.jpg

Disney Animation Collection 2: Three Little Pigs (2009)
"Three Little Pigs" - (8:51) A 1933 Silly Symphony animated short about the classic story of the "Three Little Pigs" who live in their own homes but a big bad wolf who wants to eat the pigs starts blowing the homes of two of the pigs down. Will the third pig's home be strong enough to prevent the wolf from getting to them?

"The Big Bad Wolf" - (9:30) A 1934 Silly Symphony animated short features the return of the three little pigs in a new story that involves Red Riding Hood who comes to visit her grandmother (featuring the wolf in disguise). Will the pigs be able to protect Red Riding Hood from the big bad wolf?

"Three Little Wolves" - (9:30) A 1936 Silly Symphony short featuring the three little pigs and the big bad wolf, who is training his three children how to go after the pigs. Directed by David Hand.

"Lambert the Sheepish Lion" - (8:26) A 1952 animated short about a stork who mistakenly delivers Lambert, a lion to a flock of sheep. The mother accepts Lambert as one of her own and raises it like a sheep but as Lambert grows up, he feels he may be different from the others. Directed by Jack Hannah and written by Bill Peet and Ralph Wright.

"Chicken Little" - (8:56) A Technicolor animated short from 1943, Foxy Loxy wants to eat chicken for dinner and convinces Chicken Little that the sky is falling. When he spreads the news to the chickens, the information proves to be false. But when Chicken Little sees the cloud actually falling, the chickens are reluctant to believe him. Foxy Loxy goes after the chickens.

"Three Blind Mouseketeers" - (8:53) A 1936 Silly Symphony short about three blind mice who are musketeers. Their nemesis a cat sets many traps in order to catch the mice. Directed by David Hand.

"Elmer Elephant" - (8:43) A Silly Symphony 1936 animated short about Elmer the Elephant who attends the birthday part of his friend Tilly Tiger. But all the animals at the party make fun of Elmer's trunk. When a fire breaks out in Tilly's treehouse, Elmer may become the hero who can save the day. Directed by Wilfred Jackson and written by Earl Hurd. Based on a story by Bianca Majolie.

70271618.jpg

Disney Animation Collection 3: Prince & The Pauper (2009)
"The Prince and the Pauper" - (25:32) This Disney animated short from 1990 about a pauper and a crown prince who look exactly alike. The two decide to switch identities and experience each other's life. The pauper as a prince learning about his reponsibilities and the prince as a pauper learning how his Royal Captain of the Guard has been taking advantage of his power. Directed by George Scribner and screenplay by Gerrit and Sam Graham.

"The Pied Piper" - (7:37) A Silly Symphony animated short from 1933. The people of Hamelin has their town being overrun by rats. They will offer gold to anyone who can get rid of the rats and a piper takes on the job. Directed by Wilfred Jackson and based on a poem by Robert Browning.

"Old King Cole" - (7:33) A 1933 Silly Symphony animated short featuring a party thrown by Old King Cole and invited are all the Mother Goose characters. Directed by David Hand.

"Ye Olden Days" - (8:25) A 1933 black and white Disney animated short about Princess Minnie who is arranged to marry Prince Goofy. Minnie refuses to marry him, so her father, the king locks her in the tower. Minstrel Mickey then tries to rescue her. Directed by Burt Gillet.

"A Knight for the Day" - (7:06) A 1946 Disney animated short featuring Goofy as Cedric who has the opportunity to become a knight for a day. Featuring a story directed by Jack Hannah and written by Bill Peet.

70271620.jpg

Disney Animation Collection 4: Tortoise & The Hare (2009)
"The Tortoise and the Hare" - (8:40) A Silly Symphony animated short from 1939 featuring the popular tale of the race between the tortoise and the hare.
Babes in the Woods - (7:45) A Silly Symphony animated short from 1932 about two children and dwarfs who go against a wicked witch who has captured and turned children to animals.

"The Goddess of Spring" - (9:36) A Silly Symphony animation from 1934 featuring the Goddess of Spring who is captured by the Devil and with her capture has turned the world into Winter.

"Toby Tortoise Returns" - (7:32) a Silly Symphony animation from 1936 featuring another animated short starring Toby Tortoise and the Hare who are in a boxing match.

"Paul Bunyan" - (17:07) a 1958 Technicolor animated short starring the tall lumberjack Paul Bunyan.

"The Saga of Windwagon Smith" - (13:32) A 1961 Technicolor animated short featuring a Western animation about the adventures of Windwagon Smith.

Last edited:

Cosmic Commando

Original Poster
70271620.jpg

Disney Animation Collection 5: Wind in the Willows (2009)

"Wind in the Willows" - (34:21) A 1949 Technicolor animated short which is over a half our long compared to the other shorts that are ten minutes long. In this short, Mr. J. Thaddeus Toad has gotten in trouble after buying fancy cars and dealing with bad company and now he risks losing his home. His friends Ratty, Moley and Angus MacBadger try to help him and hopefully change him along the way.

"The Ugly Duckling" - (9:02) A 1938 Technicolor animated short based on the popular story of the "The Ugly Duckling". A duck egg hatches late and unlike the other chicks which are yellow, this one is white. And the family rids itself of the white duck and the white duck is now left alone. Will anyone come to appreciate this duck?

"The Grasshopper and the Ants" - (8:27) A 1934 Silly Symphony short that was featured on the "a bug's life" 2-Disc DVD Collection in 2003 and is featured in the fifth volume of the "Walt Disney Animation Collection". A grasshopper who likes to play his violin but ends up getting stuck in the middle of bad weather and during the bad weather, he is rescued by a colony of ants.

"The Golden Touch" - (10:06) A 1935 Silly Symphony short about the greedy King Midas who has the golden touch and all he wants is gold and will learn an important lesson of how gold is not all that's important in this world. This is one of the few "Silly Symphony" shorts that have actual dialogue.

"The Robber Kitten" - (7:50) A 1935 Silly Symphony short about a kitten named Butch who wants to be a thief, he encounters a real thief named Dirty Bill and wants to be his sidekick but learns an important lesson that crime doesn't pay.

"The Wise Little Hen" - (7:44) A 1934 Silly Symphony short that introduced the Walt Disney character Donald Duck. A hen wants Donald Duck and a pig to help her plant some corn but the two pretend they are sick. So, the hen decides to temp the two by cooking corn dishes in hopes they would help her plant her corn.

Also....... two movies recently added that I've found:

1171557.jpg

Hercules
"In Disney's animated take on Greek mythology, the heavenly Hercules is stripped of his immortality and raised on Earth instead of Olympus, where he's forced to take on Hades and assorted monsters."

26656173.jpg

An Extremely Goofy Movie
"Goofy's son Max heads to college, eager to experience independence. But when Goofy loses his job, he gets sent back to school himself, ending up at the same college as Max. Can their bond survive mortifying social embarrassments and a generation gap?"

Not quite a Disney movie, but the final battle of Escape from L.A. takes place in a post-apocalyptic version of Disneyland, starting at about 1:18:00... just added on streaming.

Last edited:

Cosmic Commando

Original Poster
Another month, another cool crop of Disney movies available!

60027274.jpg

Who Framed Roger Rabbit - 1988
"Director Robert Zemeckis seamlessly mixes live action with animation wizardry in this cinematic groundbreaker featuring Bob Hoskins as gruff gumshoe Eddie Valiant, who agrees to take the case of Roger Rabbit, a zany cartoon star framed for murder."

14607635.jpg

Mulan: Special Edition (I don't know what makes it a special edition) - 1998
"Disney brings an ancient legend to life in this animated tale of the brave Mulan, a tomboyish girl who disguises herself as a young man so she can fight with the Imperial Chinese Army against the invading Huns."

70017870.jpg

Mulan 2 - 2004
"Courageous heroine Mulan and her hilarious luck dragon, Mushu, are back in this sequel to Disney's smash hit. But Mushu frets when Mulan gets engaged, fearing he'll lose his cherished role as her guardian."

60022496.jpg

The Hunchback of Notre Dame - 1996
"Inspired by Victor Hugo's classic novel, this Disney film brings to life the adventures of Quasimodo, Notre Dame's gentle, crippled bell ringer. Rescued by fellow outcast Esmeralda, Quasi soon finds himself battling to save the city he loves."

60020961.jpg

The Hunchback of Notre Dame II - 2001
"Disney brings back the all-star voice talents from their 1996 animated feature for this charming new story in which Quasi falls in love with Madellaine, the enchanting assistant to a sinister magician."

60027754.jpg

Atlantis: Milo's Return - 2003 (first movie also available)
"Harnessing the power of the crystal of Atlantis, explorer Milo Thatch and the rest of the team set out to defend their underwater kingdom against dark forces that threaten from sand, sea and snow."

70217913.jpg

The Avengers - 2012
"An all-star lineup of superheroes -- including Iron Man, the Incredible Hulk and Captain America -- team up to save the world from certain doom. Working under the authority of S.H.I.E.L.D., can our heroes keep the planet at peace?"

Last edited:

Cosmic Commando

Original Poster
Thanks for this. Sometimes I think I should cancel Netflix steaming because I can never find anything, but these are great and I will definitely have something to look for now.
Watching this thread!

Definitely go to instantwatcher.com! It is an awesome resource for combing through Netflix, and worlds ahead of Netflix's own searching.

There are other Disney movies that were already on Netflix before I started this thread, too. I had already "found" them before I started keeping track here, but I'm looking to catch up sometime so there is a complete list here.

threeyoda

Here's some more I've found:

Pocahontas - 1995
"History comes to life in Disney's animated tale about love and adventure in the New World. Pocahontas, an American Indian woman, is supposed to marry the village's best warrior, but she yearns for something more -- and soon meets Capt. John Smith."

Tarzan & Jane - 2002
"This engaging Disney-animated tale follows Tarzan and his new wife, Jane, during their first year in the jungle together. Outsmarting prowling panthers and surfing down molten lava are among their many adventures."

Alice in Wonderland - 1951
"Disney's animated, musical retelling of Lewis Carroll's whimsical tale follows young Alice as she falls down a rabbit hole and enters a strange and wonderful world that is home to the Mad Hatter, the Cheshire Cat and the terrifying Queen of Hearts."

The Crimson Wing - 2008 (Disneynature)
"One million crimson-winged flamingos battle for survival across the breathtaking backdrop of Lake Natron in northern Tanzania in this sumptuously photographed Disney documentary, a directorial debut for filmmakers Matthew Aeberhard and Leander Ward."

The Fox and the Hound - 1981
"Everyone knows foxes and hounds don't get along. But no one told that to orphaned fox Tod and bloodhound puppy Copper, who become fast friends as youngsters, only to see their instincts drive them apart as they grow up."

The Fox and the Hound 2 - 2006
"In Disney's animated follow-up to the 1981 classic, Tod the fox and Copper the hound see their friendship put to the test when Copper finds fame with a howling country-and-western dog band -- and jealousy strikes Tod."

Brother Bear 2 - 2006
"After waking from a long hibernation, Kenai and his bear buddy Koda set off on a life-changing mission to help their human friend, Nita, get married in this sequel to the animated Disney adventure Brother Bear."

The Aristocats - 1970
"When Madame Adelaide Bonfamille leaves her fortune to her prized cat Duchess and Duchess's kittens, her butler plots to steal the money and kidnaps the heirs, leaving them out on a country road."

The Nightmare Before Christmas - 1993
"Tired of scaring humans every October 31 with the same old bag of tricks, Jack Skellington, the spindly king of Halloween Town, kidnaps Santa Claus and plans to deliver shrunken heads and other ghoulish gifts to children on Christmas morning."

Ariel484

Thanks for this. Sometimes I think I should cancel Netflix steaming because I can never find anything, but these are great and I will definitely have something to look for now.
Watching this thread!

Yeah, the search could be better. It would be nice if you searched for "Disney" and it took you to the section with all of the Disney movies...or something.

Thanks for listing out these titles @Cosmic Commando and @threeyoda ! Much appreciated. :)

Cosmic Commando

Original Poster
These have been on Netflix for a while, but will be of special interest to the members here if you haven't found them. These specials were produced for Disney by an outside company (for the Travel Channel maybe?). They're more or less like the planning DVDs, but maybe without some of the "pep" that get on people's nerves. They probably won't tell you anything you don't know, but they're still fun. :)

Disney Parks: Ultimate Disney World - 2010
"Walt Disney World Resort has plenty of wild action for kids as well as adults. Discover all the speed and adrenalin-pumping fun Disney has to offer in this program, which explores a cool space flight, a 13-story elevator plunge and more. For those who want to "accelerate" their park experience, take a ride on one high-speed roller coaster that journeys into the dark or hop on another that moves backward."

Disney Parks: Disney's Animal Kingdom - 2010
"This documentary offers a look at the Walt Disney Co.'s revolutionary Animal Kingdom theme park in Orlando, Fla., which presented unique challenges to the project's designers in combining theme park rides and live animals in the same environment. The program features a fascinating backstage glimpse of the park, including its Dinosaur attraction, as well as the Tree of Life and spectacular Expedition Everest and Kilimanjaro Safari."

Disney Parks: Undiscovered Disney Parks - 2010
"Take an in-depth look at some of the lesser-known attractions of the world-famous Disney theme parks -- features that go beyond the well-loved rides and restaurants to offer an alternative view of the Magic Kingdom. At the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, Calif., you can go on a walking tour of some of Walt Disney's own favorite spots, and at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Fla., you can drive a race car, go on a safari or even learn how to surf."

Disney Parks: Disney Cruise Line - 2010
"If you've been to the Disney theme parks but still haven't explored the wonders of the Disney Cruise Line, this virtual behind-the-scenes tour offers a sneak peek at what you're missing -- including Disney's private destination island, Castaway Cay. Once you're aboard, you'll visit the ship's amazing Animator's Palate restaurant, with a décor that gradually changes from black and white to color, among other highlights."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom