'The Force' of Star Wars will trump 'Frozen Frenzy' on 09/04/2015

Are you looking forward to Force Friday on 09/04/2015

• Yes. Shut up and take my money, Disney!

Votes: 66 55.5%
  • No. I just want to see the movie.

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 10.1%

• Total voters

AndyS2992

I like the Star Wars movies, not a huge fan though. I will watch the movies and ride the new attractions but I don't like it enough to own any merchandise other than the blu rays of the movies.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Apparently, there is no escaping 'The Force' that is Star Wars -- so, get ready for the next decade of Star Wars.

ekop34.jpg

The Washington Post is reporting that a massive Star Wars marketing blitz that has already been dubbed as 'Force Friday' will saturate the market with all things Star Wars on 09/04/2015.

So if you've had enough of 'Frozen Frenzy' then brace yourself for 'The Force' marketing machine -- or not, if you're among the most devoted of Star Wars fans.

Bonus - @lentesta, who is a member here at WDWMAGIC was interviewed for this WP article. Kudos!

With the force of 'Star Wars', Disney tightens grip on toy universe

Disney chief Bob Iger recently announced his media-and-merchandising juggernaut would soon be launching one of its biggest theme-park expansions in history: A “jaw-dropping new world,” sprawled across Disney’s parks in Florida and California, exploring the Big Mouse’s newly purchased mega-franchise, “Star Wars.”

He didn’t say when the elaborate 14-acre expansions would open, but analysts agree it hardly matters. In recent years, Disney’s theme parks have set new records for attendance and profit every quarter — and the final “Star Wars” trilogy, and its big-budget side anthologies, are planned to release in theaters once a year through at least 2020.

The world is in the first hours of what Disney hopes will be Star Wars’ infinite, imaginary empire, its blockbusters and theme parks fueled by (and helping fuel) the Big Mouse’s store-conquering merchandising machine.

Even before Disney assumed control over the “Star Wars” brand in 2012, the $180 billion behemoth was the strongest merchandising force in the galaxy, with Marvel, Pixar and box-office giants like “Frozen” helping bring the company billions of dollars in revenue every year.

But with the help of the Jedi knights and decades-old grandeur of the “Star Wars” universe, analysts said, Disney has set its sights even higher, eyeing world domination of theme parks, toys and beyond, for potentially decades to come. Said Len Testa, co-author of The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World, “The canon is big enough that they can spin off stories for the rest of time.”

The “Star Wars”-themed lands, at Disneyland in Anaheim and Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Orlando, will include “a never-before-seen planet, a remote trading port and one of the last stops before wild space,” Iger said Saturday at D23, a Disney fan expo.

The expansions will include two new attractions: one riding through a secret mission aboard the Millennium Falcon, Han Solo’s ultrafast smuggling ship, and another involving a “climactic battle between the First Order and the Resistance.” Construction on the Disneyland park will start in 2017, though no date was given for the Disney World start.

Disney won’t share a price tag for the expansion, though some analysts suspect it will cost $2 billion, a staggering total in line with how much it has spent on other parks. Disney spent more than $1 billion in 2012 expanding its California Adventure Park, and next year it intends to open the Disney Shanghai Resort in China, for about $5.5 billion.

During the construction, Disney will profit from “Star Wars” through a few smaller moneymakers: Star Wars Launch Bay, a courtyard of costumed characters and film props, opening later this year; Season of the Force, a limited-time event starting early next year with themed space-food offerings and fireworks shows set to the Star Wars score; and even a remodeling of the famed Space Mountain roller coaster, which will soon be Hyperspace Mountain.

The few announced rides, analysts said, will largely serve as attraction points for park visitors. From there, they will shepherded between interactive areas (like the Mos Eisley Cantina, the “wretched hive of scum and villainy” made famous in the first film) and mega-stores, where all employees (including those at the register) will be expected to stay in intergalactic character.

The hype over Disney’s theme parks lands only a few weeks before “Force Friday,” when Disney’s stores, online shops and global retailers will open at 12:01 a.m. on Sept. 4 to unveil its new apps, books, collectibles, toys, “lifestyle accessories” and other goodies.

Disney is already showcasing lines of “Star Wars” merchandise, including a $399 “Return of the Jedi” poster and a $149 R2-D2 built-to-scale model with its own swiveling arm and drinking glasses — both of which you can buy with your "Star Wars" credit card.

But “Force Friday” has been made into its own consumer spectacle, along the lines of a Black Friday; fans have even kept countdowns Disney has also announced collaborations with seven mega-brands — Covergirl & Max Factor, Duracell, carmaker FCA US, General Mills, HP, Subway and Verizon — that have developed their own marketing campaigns.

“Every lightsaber, every action figure, every LEGO set tells a story for generations of ‘Star Wars’ fans,” Josh Silverman, an executive of global licensing at Disney Consumer Products, said in a statement.

Disney’s “Star Wars” roll-out will likely best even that of “Frozen,” the cheeky princess tale that became both the highest-grossing animated movie in history and Disney’s 11th franchise to drive more than $1 billion in annual retail sales a year.

Disney Cruise Lines will run eight daylong “Star Wars” cruise in the Western Caribbean next year, including meet-and-greets with characters like Chewbacca. Even the way visitors get into Disney’s parks, via the wrist-worn MagicBands, have been given the Star Wars treatment: Limited-release bands with Luke Skywalker and a stormtrooper sell for 24.95.

“Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” the franchise’s seventh film and the first of its new trilogy, premieres in theaters in December, and Morgan Stanley analysts this summer projected it would make more than $2.3 billion in ticket sales worldwide, making it the second-biggest box-office seller in history, between “Titanic” and “Avatar.”

Star Wars holds unprecedented cross-generation appeal — many viewers of the 1977 original are still mega-fans today — and a virtually unstoppable media powerhouse. Even the trilogy that launched with “Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace” in 1999 — which, with its interstellar trade embargoes and Jar Jar Binks, was widely panned by critics as a disaster — grossed $2.5 billion worldwide.

And it was very true what Mel Brooks said in the “Star Wars” satire “Spaceballs,” in 1987: “Merchandising, merchandising, where the real money from the movie is made.” “Star Wars” toys have brought in $12 billion in revenue over the lifetime of the franchise, more than its total box-office, DVD and video game revenue, combined.

But Iger has said the “Star Wars” marketing machine comes with its own risks, including burning out a nation of toy buyers. As he told Bloomberg Businessweek in 2013, “I don’t want to over-commercialize or over-hype this. It’s my job to prevent that.”

Drew Harwell is a national business reporter at The Washington Post.

Some Star Wars goodies.

xf9lrq.jpg

Star Wars Luggage

Limited Edition Darth Vader Playstation Bundle(s) - 11/17/2015

And then, there's the fashion...

May The Fashion Be With You.

Star Wars Adidas

1z2eibp.jpg

R2D2 is on the tongue. Too cute!

2qd3044.jpg

Storm Trooper Adidas

xbwj2x.jpg

OMG, the back of these sneakers will destroy all your haterz..

ae62hd.jpg

M. Flóvent's 'Star Wars in Suits' feat. Boba Fett & Darth Vader

Star Wars inspired clothing dominated the catwalk for Fall 2014.

2vw8ms9.png

tasbcy.png

313232a.png

Diane Von Furstenberg, Julien Macdonald and various designers.

w9zn9s.jpg

Gareth Pugh

wcmir9.jpg

Preen Fall 2014

21wjrd.jpg

Preen Editorial

24q5kqc.jpg

Julia Roberts in Preen

2zsbdbn.jpg

2ngy71i.jpg

Rodarte' Fall 2014

2l94d4h.jpg

Kirsten Dunst at Met Gala 2015

jr65ms.jpg

Covergirl's Limited Edition Star Wars Collection is comprised of six galactic looks - 3 light side and 3 dark side.

2vds392.gif

This is the most stylish Stormtrooper ever. I totally *love* the chrome Stormtrooper! It's like Star Wars meets The Devil Meets Prada.

33tta2p.jpg

And Disney, where are my designer Star Wars stilettos?!?

If there was any doubt about the next SW movie being a two hour toy advert, Well that doubt has been removed with this announcement which makes me want to upchuck.

Question is will it be watchable ie does it make 2bil or 500m???

raymusiccity

I've always gone out of my way to avoid reading any reviews of a movie that I really wanted to see and enjoy, without any spoilers. One of my pet peeves is every reviewer being compelled to describe each character and plot detail in their 'review' of a movie. Why can't they just review if it was true to the source material, cinematography, etc. !?

Matt_Black

If there was any doubt about the next SW movie being a two hour toy advert, Well that doubt has been removed with this announcement which makes me want to upchuck.

Question is will it be watchable ie does it make 2bil or 500m???

Even if this movie does poorly in the states, it will CRUSH in foreign markets, I'd wager. It makes at least a $1 billion, faster than Jurassic World or Furious 7.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Even if this movie does poorly in the states, it will CRUSH in foreign markets, I'd wager. It makes at least a $1 billion, faster than Jurassic World or Furious 7.

It needs to be FUN to do that, If it's simply a ad with 'tie ins and synergy' it will do poorly abroad as well. IF it's a FUN movie it could have the biggest box office ever, If not... Say buh-buy to SWL and the sequels.

prberk

I am old enough to remember the FIRST round of Star Wars madness. It really was a craze, with nearly as much merchandising (considering the actual products made). It was everything from lunch boxes to food back then. There WAS a backlash. Mostly the love-it or hate-it variety.

Star Wars was everywhere, similar to how Frozen is today.

But it has now become so ingrained in the culture that I believe it will survive whatever reviews the new sequel gets -- but I do agree with @ford91explorer that it will be an amazing tail wind for it if the new film is actually fun. That is what really gave the originals the jump to hyperspace.

"Laugh it up, fuzzball." I hope so. And Disney will smile all the way to the bank.. even more!

Figments Friend

The build up for the new merchandise is unreal.

I work part time for a Disney licensee and we are doing a tie in with the new film this fall and into the X-mas season.
It is so 'top secret', what the product and the new related characters look like, that anyone seeing even photos of the items risks losing their job.
It's been ages since we have had a property come through that has had such strict restrictions.

This should be interesting to see unfold.

Siren

Original Poster
Have the announced anything for Force Friday at Disney Springs?
I haven't heard anything about Disney Springs -- just the Disney Store and the website says to check back for more details.

Disney Store - Force Friday

Target - #sharetheforce

Walmart - Force Friday

Amazon - Force Friday Countdown

Toys R Us - Force Friday Countdown

Thanks!

The reporter, Drew Harwell, also wrote the June article "How theme parks like Disney World left the middle class behind". It's a great read.

I also did an interview with the Orlando Sentinel on the same day. Both of these came about because the NY Times quoted us the day before saying that DHS wasn't worth the cost of admission. Apparently that level of candor wasn't expected in a WDW guide bo

Both reporters were really interested in how much Disney was taking from the Harry Potter playbook for Star Wars and Avatar. Almost none of that got put into the article, so I expect follow-up articles from them.
I really enjoyed the article -- but, when I saw your name, I was like -- "OMG! It's Len Testa!" And immediately, I knew that the writer had done his homework. LOL.

The Disney middle class article was quite insightful and also sparked a lot of debate and discussion among readers. I like how the reporter is not afraid to tackle controversial topics. I hope to see the other articles, too.

1z2eibp.jpg
i'll take 2..does it come in red?
I sure hope so. Red sneakers are bold & unconventional. LOL.

My apologies for the glaring omission of Star Wars toys! Here's the one mentioned above. The BB-8 is expected to be the hottest Star Wars toy. It's rumored to cost $150.00 and will be the size of a Granny Smith apple.
ic5rwg.jpg

Awww, it's so cute! If you really want one, it may be best to join the BB-8 mailing list at the link below..
--->This Is The Droid You're Looking For <---

ETA: Every little kid is going to want one of these BB-8 toys. I just hope there is a cost effective diffusion line BB-8's in the works. It should be plastic and the size of a soccer ball with wheels underneath or something.

Last edited:

Siren

Original Poster
I find the overtly imperialistic tone of that article....kinda disturbing.
Well, it is "The Empire." LOL.

I have the Star Wars vans from last year.
Nice.

27x4308.jpg

Adidas is going after the casual sneaker guys, too.

You actually can customize your own pair of Star Wars shoes. Droids, Vader, Stormtroopers, and all sorts of colors and designs. For only $100 which is pretty cool.
Yes. Adidas - Star Wars
fm8lz4.jpg

1zyet8n.jpg

34qa2w3.jpg

It's a shame how I have no Star Wars inspired shoes to discuss right now. Even the Transformers Movie inspired Balenciaga to design these iconic shoes that will be forever known as the "Transformer Shoes."

152kpjc.jpg
4jkgu1.jpg

These are the cheap knock off Transformers shoes by Steve Madden.

21bm1pd.jpg

And, these are the original Transformers Shoes by Balenciaga and everyone had to have a pair.

So, hopefully some Star Wars inspired shoes will come out after the movie release.

Go to a deserted island and get rid of all technology and you will be alright.
LOL. Funny but true.

It's the only movie I've checked to see if I could buy tickets for five months ahead of time. I think it's gonna do OK.
I can't wait to see this movie. I have to see this in IMAX 3D, so I will be reserving tickets in advance. There is nothing like having reserved seats at the movies, especially on opening weekend, lol.

@ford91exploder - Morgan Stanley has predicted that Star Wars will rake in $2.3 Billion.

Thanks everyone for voting!

Last edited:

prberk

I can't wait to see this movie. I have to see this in IMAX 3D, so I will be reserving tickets in advance. There is nothing like having reserved seats at the movies, especially on opening weekend, lol.

That is one thing I will not be doing. I think J.J. Abrams made a point of filming it on actual film rather than digital media, with the intent that it have the organic feel of the original trilogy, which packed a punch without the contrivances of 3-D. I am hoping that the new film will work in that vein as well - a great fun film to see that blasts off the screen and takes us through a fun, thrilling adventure, with some lighthearted moments for balance, all for everyone and not relying on the cheap gimmick of 3-D to be worth seeing.

(Let me be clear. I am not really knocking 3-D. I am instead talking about how the original Star Wars movies did not need it in order to take us on a bold adventure and make us feel a part of their world. And in some cases like that, 3-D can be a distraction.)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Well, it is "The Empire." LOL.

Nice.

27x4308.jpg

Adidas is going after the casual sneaker guys, too.

Yes. Adidas - Star Wars
fm8lz4.jpg

1zyet8n.jpg

34qa2w3.jpg

It's a shame how I have no Star Wars inspired shoes to discuss right now. Even the Transformers Movie inspired Balenciaga to design these iconic shoes that will be forever known as the "Transformer Shoes."

152kpjc.jpg
4jkgu1.jpg

These are the cheap knock off Transformers shoes by Steve Madden.

21bm1pd.jpg

And, these are the original Transformers Shoes by Balenciaga and everyone had to have a pair.

So, hopefully some Star Wars inspired shoes will come out after the movie release.

LOL. Funny but true.

@ford91exploder - Morgan Stanley has predicted that Star Wars will rake in $2.3 Billion.

Thanks everyone for voting!

Of course Morgan Stanley would put it second to the all time highest gross film, They want Disney to do business with them... Avengers 2 would have made a lot more money without all the Synergy BS and the unecessary deaths - in short it was an unsatisfying film, JW was not a 'Great' film it was a FUN film which is why it easily moved past Avengers 2. GotG was also a FUN film. This is what the suits miss and filmmakers generally do not the suits think there is a 'formula' to making a successful film just load it with the right Stars, 'product placement' , 'Brand Synergies' and the proper ad campaign and you will have a billion dollar film. There is indeed a formula for success and it's called making a FUN film to watch but it's hard and unpredictable.

If the upcoming SW movie is not fun but is larded up with 'brand synergy' BS it will not do well, It will do OK probably even make it's budget back.

Matt_Black

Of course Morgan Stanley would put it second to the all time highest gross film, They want Disney to do business with them... Avengers 2 would have made a lot more money without all the Synergy BS and the unecessary deaths - in short it was an unsatisfying film, JW was not a 'Great' film it was a FUN film which is why it easily moved past Avengers 2. GotG was also a FUN film. This is what the suits miss and filmmakers generally do not the suits think there is a 'formula' to making a successful film just load it with the right Stars, 'product placement' , 'Brand Synergies' and the proper ad campaign and you will have a billion dollar film. There is indeed a formula for success and it's called making a FUN film to watch but it's hard and unpredictable.

If the upcoming SW movie is not fun but is larded up with 'brand synergy' BS it will not do well, It will do OK probably even make it's budget back.

Actually, from what I've heard, Joss had a good deal of freedom with A2- the issue was the length, not the content.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Actually, from what I've heard, Joss had a good deal of freedom with A2- the issue was the length, not the content.

His CONTRACT gave him lots of freedom, The suits thought otherwise (ie your contract says what WE say it SAYS no matter the language) and Joss would have ended his career if he walked off the set, That's why there was a very public 'burning of bridges' between Joss and TWDC. The potential was there and the FIRST Avengers was once again a FUN movie with lots of stuff which showed the cast had fun making it, The Shawarma scene was one example, Hulk and the 'Puny God' scene was another.

PhotoDave219

I haven't heard anything about Disney Springs -- just the Disney Store and the website says to check back for more details.

Disney Store - Force Friday

Target - #sharetheforce

Walmart - Force Friday

Amazon - Force Friday Countdown

Toys R Us - Force Friday Countdown

I really enjoyed the article -- but, when I saw your name, I was like -- "OMG! It's Len Testa!" And immediately, I knew that the writer had done his homework. LOL.

The Disney middle class article was quite insightful and also sparked a lot of debate and discussion among readers. I like how the reporter is not afraid to tackle controversial topics. I hope to see the other articles, too.

I sure hope so. Red sneakers are bold & unconventional. LOL.

My apologies for the glaring omission of Star Wars toys! Here's the one mentioned above. The BB-8 is expected to be the hottest Star Wars toy. It's rumored to cost $150.00 and will be the size of a Granny Smith apple.
ic5rwg.jpg

Awww, it's so cute! If you really want one, it may be best to join the BB-8 mailing list at the link below..
--->This Is The Droid You're Looking For <---

ETA: Every little kid is going to want one of these BB-8 toys. I just hope there is a cost effective diffusion line BB-8's in the works. It should be plastic and the size of a soccer ball with wheels underneath or something.

Hashtag nation? Disgusting. I hate marketing people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom