The Force Awakens

erasure fan1

Another question is, will either of these beat Avatar.
I'm not sure but if I had to guess, I would say probably not. I don't see either of the 2 movies getting a boost like 3D did for Avatar. Also, I just think a fair share of people won't go see Star Wars or Avengers just because. I do think that Star Wars will end up higher than Avengers, but it will be a close race.

fractal

The Disney Blog has a post with their box office predictions for each Disney movie next year. There estimate is $595 million domestic for Avengers and $765 million domestics for Star Wars. I also think Star Wars will be the bigger of the two.

http://thedisneyblog.com/2015/01/05/2015-disney-movie-slate-predictions/

Another question is, will either of these beat Avatar.

I think SW has a shot if the film is more like the original trilogy than the prequels ( and it's seems that's what they are going for ). I would be surprised if JJ Abrams does not make this a very fun film, but will it be able to "hang" with TESB and NH? If it can than it's over $1billion.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think SW has a shot if the film is more like the original trilogy than the prequels ( and it's seems that's what they are going for ). I would be surprised if JJ Abrams does not make this a very fun film, but will it be able to "hang" with TESB and NH? If it can than it's over $1billion.

I don't think it will have any problem breaking $1B world wide. Episode 1 did this 16 years ago and it's widely considered to be the worst of the movies.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Original Poster
More possible TFA news...

It appears that Warwick Davis has posted a selfie from the set of TFA, I wonder who this is behind him?
force-awakens-spoiler-pic-15116-2.jpg

Link below:
http://www.inquisitr.com/1759483/wh...e-just-give-away-a-huge-force-awakens-secret/

Another cool image, not really a spoiler but cool nonetheless.
star-wars-episode-vii-force-awakens-lead-15116-665x385.jpg

erasure fan1

Boy would I like to see this happen. Well, only if they are 100% done of course.
the telegraph said:
JJ Abrams is considering releasing his heavily anticipated Star Wars: The Force Awakens this summer, according to unconfirmed reports from Ikwiz and Movie Pilot. The film has a current release date of December 18 2015.

According to Movie Pilot, the director is losing patience with the constant stream of plot and image leaks from the Star Wars set, and believes that shifting to an earlier release date will mean the film isn't "ruined" before fans can see it. The Ikwiz article states: "Disney is reportedly taking Abrams’ request very seriously, and is looking at a possible summer release."

Avengers and star wars in the same summer, awesome. Of course I really don't see Disney going for this in the end but it would be interesting.

MerlinTheGoat

I'm skeptical about that rumor. Early on prior to filming it was buzzing around that JJ was actually unhappy with having to rush it to completion for a 2015 date. He wanted a summer 2016 release apparently from what i've heard. Disney put their foot down and demanded a 2015 release however, so they settled on December. I do wonder whether this deadline has already affected the quality of the film, but we'll see if it's any good. But i'd be very surprised if JJ changed his tune and decided to further push for release in the summer. From what I hear they've already finished filming the live action scenes at least several months ago, but i'm sure there's plenty of visual effects, editing and other post production elements to finish. There's also probably even a fair amount of smaller scale model and puppetry as well given the emphasis on using as many practical effects as possible. I don't want the quality of the movie to be compromised to get it out quicker, this happens quite often.

If they do this, i'm sure they'll want to spread it out considerably from Avengers 2. The two movies might interfere with one another if released in the same month, something i'd imagine Disney would be wary of doing. So they could either release Episode 7 in July or August, OR even move Avengers 2's release date to a later date instead. It is interesting to note that all 6 prior Star Wars movies have all had summer releases, in the month of May as well. If the rumors are true of a summer release, I have to wonder if they'd look at the franchise's May tradition for a decision on when to release it...

But again this sounds a bit far fetched. I can see Disney wanting to release the movie as soon as possible, but i'm skeptical that JJ Abrams would approach the company with the offer to do so. Given that he lobbied heavily for considerably more time than the December date to begin with. And even Disney I would think would want to consider the financial consequences of releasing the movie too close to Avengers 2 (or even possibly Pixar's Inside Out). There have been a lot of "leaks" online, but a lot contradict one another. Some may be true, but most are probably wrong. The plot still seems pretty well hidden from the public.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

If they do this, i'm sure they'll want to spread it out considerably from Avengers 2. The two movies might interfere with one another if released in the same month, something i'd imagine Disney would be wary of doing. So they could either release Episode 7 in July or August, OR even move Avengers 2's release date to a later date instead.
I could see them moving Antman to a later date and putting star wars in that spot but I can't see them moving avengers. I also think this really doesn't hold any water but I can see Abrams wanting it if he knew the film would be 100% with no compromises. The reason being is he is so crazy about being secretive that releasing early could be a "Ha I win!" for him. The article does say he talked about it at the award ceremony he was at but who knows the context that it was said in. But it sure is a intriguing thing for us crazy star wars nerds. ;)

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Original Poster
I don't believe they will move SW to summer at this point. With principal filming really just completed the arduous task of special effects, editing, secondary shoots, sound, etc. will take quite a while and the December date was really rushed to begin with.

Personally, I would love to see it tomorrow but would rather wait until it is ready and exactly what JJ Abrams wants us to see and not a minute earlier.

Tony Perkis

Interesting interview with JJ. Not a whole lot of groundbreaking information but still cool. I really didn't pay attention to the fact that he is still involved in trek. I thought he had completely cut ties with it.

Producer's credit most likely. Like Burton with Batman Forever, Columbus with Potter 3, Favreau for IM3.....

Arthur Wellesley

Interesting *possible* spoilers going around as of lately. Read if you dare...
Are Kylo Ren & Rey brother & sister...children of Han & Leia? And does Kylo kill his own father?
In spoiler form...tell me what you think. I don't believe anything until I see it, so take it worth a grain of salt.

And who's ready for trailer #2!! Soon. Very soon. :D

G00fyDad

Interesting *possible* spoilers going around as of lately. Read if you dare...
In spoiler form...tell me what you think. I don't believe anything until I see it, so take it worth a grain of salt.

And who's ready for trailer #2!! Soon. Very soon. :D

Yes. That's been all but confirmed..

FoozieBear

Bleh. Really have no interest in watching some Lucas butchered version of the movie. If it were the original versions, I'd buy them in an instant.

erasure fan1

Star Wars Movies will be released digitally on April 10th but it seems they are the Special Edition ones.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/06/star-wars-saga-become-available-digital-downloads
I wonder how well this will do. I know I have bought so many copies of the movies that until an original release comes out, I won't be buying any other versions. And at this point anyone who really wanted them digital, has already ripped them. But who knows, it will probably sell millions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom