The Force Awakens

TyTrap

Everyone needs to read that trust me this will make you
That one is pretty far fetched to me.
if you think about it from a religious standpoint it makes sense.

1. Anakin was born via immaculate conception
2. Anakin as Vader sacrifices himself to save his son (as well as the galaxy) from the emperor darth sidious.
3. The resurrection/reincarnation would be the next logical thing to do.

If you think about it no one will see that coming at least from a casual movie goer stand point. Also why would anyone leave their young child on a planet without proper care? Even Luke and Leia were left in good hands. Rey's parents must've been real scumbags just to leave her there with some junk dealer. Why would Luke, Leia, or Han leave their kid in that bad situation. It doesn't seem like it would be in their character to do something like that.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Everyone needs to read that trust me this will make you

if you think about it from a religious standpoint it makes sense.

1. Anakin was born via immaculate conception
2. Anakin as Vader sacrifices himself to save his son (as well as the galaxy) from the emperor darth sidious.
3. The resurrection/reincarnation would be the next logical thing to do.

If you think about it no one will see that coming at least from a casual movie goer stand point. Also why would anyone leave their young child on a planet without proper care? Even Luke and Leia were left in good hands. Rey's parents must've been real scumbags just to leave her there with some junk dealer. Why would Luke, Leia, or Han leave their kid in that bad situation. It doesn't seem like it would be in their character to do something like that.

We don't know what the situation was like when she was left. Not to mention the fact that despite the harsh environment she turned out pretty good. Somewhere along the lines she learned a lot of skills, we know she can pilot ships, has mechanical skills, speaks multiple languages and has good fighting skills. Also remember that it's possible Like, Leia and Han had nothing to do with it, or even knew of the existence of the child.

TyTrap

So? Does everyone that hugs you is also related to you?

Stupid theory. At no point does Rey yell "Yippiee!" or "Wizard!" However I think she says "Noooo!" once.
its logical if you think about it. Luk
We don't know what the situation was like when she was left. Not to mention the fact that despite the harsh environment she turned out pretty good. Somewhere along the lines she learned a lot of skills, we know she can pilot ships, has mechanical skills, speaks multiple languages and has good fighting skills. Also remember that it's possible Like, Leia and Han had nothing to do with it, or even knew of the existence of the child.
its because she was born with those skills. She just had to discover she had the ability to do those things and how quickly she used the force and was skilled with wielding a light saber. It all just leads me to believe she is the reincarnation of the chosen one. We witnessed the birth and death now we just need the resurrection to complete the story. Any other outcome with Rey would disappoint me.

doctornick

More money coming in... #1 for the fourth week with $41M domestically this weekend brings it to $812M and it seems lots of legs left.

$53M in China looks to be a good start too.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4143&p=.htm

The legs internationally (esp Europe) are better than in the US where it tended to be more front loaded. The domestic/international split is shifting more towards international box office.

China was apparently low today. I suspect it won't be all that big there, maybe end up around $150M or less. Not that surprising given the amount of nostalgia that has helped propel the film (which is absent in China).

Obviously, there was a significant drop off this past week, which is to be expected with the end of the holidays and people back at school or work. How the film ends up among the all time box office will depend on the holds in the next few weeks. If it continues to draw like it did this past week, we could be looking at $1B domestic, but if it falls off, then it will settle in with "just" $900M+

Unless the movie does unexpectedly well in China and has crazy holds elsewhere internationally, it looks like Avatar's WW record is safe. I still think Titanic will fall, though, and TFA will end up #2 worldwide. If it's close to any significant benchmark, I wouldn't be surprised to see a theatrical re-release in the near future, perhaps as a lead in to Episode VIII in 2017.

erasure fan1

If it's close to any significant benchmark, I wouldn't be surprised to see a theatrical re-release in the near future, perhaps as a lead in to Episode VIII in 2017.
This is what I was thinking. I didn't think it would beat Avatars world totals based on Avatar having 2 releases. It would make total sense to have a re-release before 8 and then it has a chance. It might have had a shot if it was a summer release. I know I would have seen it a couple more times if the kids were not in school.

doctornick

In a move that shocks no one, The Force Awakens only received Oscar nominations in the technical categories: Film Editing, Original Score, Visual Effects, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing.

But, hey, that's better than MCU films did -- I don't see any nominations for them. I mean, Ant-Man featured a guy shrinking and growing but couldn't even get a Visual Effects nod.

Animaniac93-98

In a move that shocks no one, The Force Awakens only received Oscar nominations in the technical categories: Film Editing, Original Score, Visual Effects, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing.

Did it really deserve more than that? I think even "best original score" is somewhat generous (that, or the Academy just gives noms to Mr. Williams out of habbit).

I mean, Ant-Man featured a guy shrinking and growing but couldn't even get a Visual Effects nod.

That would have been a better choice than The Revenant, which got nominations for all kinds of awards (production & costume design, best make-up etc) at the expense of pretty much everything else.

doctornick

Did it really deserve more than that? I think even "best original score" is somewhat generous (that, or the Academy just gives noms to Mr. Williams out of habbit).

"deserve" is a loaded term. I actually don't think TFA merits Best Picture type talk (though it was out there). However, I don't think a Best Actress nomination for Daisy Ridley would have been undeserved.

So, my bigger issue is that "popular" films generally get overlooked for consideration for "above the line" awards just because they are well liked by the public. The Academy is just silly like that.

That would have been a better choice than The Revenant, which got nominations for all kinds of awards (production & costume design, best make-up etc) at the expense of pretty much everything else.

I just have a personal beef with how the MCU films are always overlooked. I mean, we are talking about a film studio with multiple very popular movies which are consistently well received by the public and even with critics. Even ignoring that they'll never win (or even be nominated for) Best Picture, there's no actors or actresses that ever warrant consideration? Not for the screenwriters? Hell, The First Avenger didn't get considered for Costume Design and the Academy falls all over itself to recognize period pieces there. There's basically a bias that prevents these films from even being looked at objectively on their own merits because "Hollywood" hates how superhero films have taken over the attention in the business.

(Yes, I know that such films do get some technical nods and even occasional win, but they seem under-represented.)

Phroobar

Star Wars was up for best picture back in 1978 but lost to Annie Hall.

There are obvious biases in the selection of Best Picture winners by the Academy. (Biases related to acting roles or characters are discussed in the Best Actor and Best Actress sections.) Films not considered to have the stature of a Best Picture are often not nominated. And in addition, most foreign-made or foreign-language potential nominees for Best Picture have been relegated to the sole Best Foreign Language Film category. [Note: Since 1973, only three foreign films - as of 2012 - earned a Best Picture nomination: Life Is Beautiful (1997), Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000),and Amour (2012).]

Most Likely to Be Nominated (or Win) For Best Picture: Serious dramas or social-problem films with weighty inspirational themes, biopics (inspired by real-life individuals or events), or films with literary pretensions are much more likely to be nominated (and win). Glossy, large-scale epic historical productions with big budgets (of various genres) have often taken the Best Picture prize. Likewise for studio pictures with big stars - they are much preferred over quirky independent films.

Least Likely to Be Nominated (or Win) For Best Picture: Action-adventures, family-oriented animation, popular "popcorn" movies, suspense-thrillers, science-fiction, superhero films, horror, comedies (including teen comedies), Westerns, foreign-language films, and spy thrillers are mostly overlooked, as are independent productions and children's films (although there have been a few exceptions).

Other Factors That Make it More Likely For a Film to Receive a Nomination: The release date of the film (late in the year is best), whether or not it was distributed by a major studio, and whether the actors, writers, and directors of the film have previous Oscar nominations. Another factor is the theme or content of the film -- which is represented by the film's genre and its major plot keywords (such as "Pulitzer Prize-winning" or "family tragedy" or "race relations").

Animaniac93-98

So, my bigger issue is that "popular" films generally get overlooked for consideration for "above the line" awards just because they are well liked by the public. The Academy is just silly like that.

Except this year two of the three most nominated movies were popular sci-fi films (Mad Max and The Martian) and Ex Machina got nominated for screenplay. For once the genre was well represented and anyone complaining about Star Wars not getting more just comes across as silly to me.

Now havng said that, I'd take a nomination for Daisy Ridley over Jennifer Lawrence (again) for a movie most people were just meh about.

doctornick

Except this year two of the three most nominated movies were popular sci-fi films (Mad Max and The Martian) and Ex Machina got nominated for screenplay. For once the genre was well represented and anyone complaining about Star Wars not getting more just comes across as silly to me.

Now havng said that, I'd take a nomination for Daisy Ridley over Jennifer Lawrence (again) for a movie most people were just meh about.

I've been pleasantly surprised by the nominations for Mad Max. I feel like some of that attention might be to recognize George Miller in a sort of lifetime achievement manner.

I'm not sure I would consider The Martian a genre film in the same way though -- it's more akin to Gravity than Star Wars. Not all sci-fi is the same, especially when it is "realistic" versus "fantasy" versions of the genre.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not really complaining about The Force Awakens not getting more or different nominations. It was a quality popcorn movie, but not really remarkable as a film production. I did think the acting was generally excellent though and that's where it could have warranted some attention but it's not a big deal. I actually thought people citing it as a Best Picture nominee were kinda crazy.

Wendy Pleakley

It was a quality popcorn movie, but not really remarkable as a film production. I did think the acting was generally excellent though and that's where it could have warranted some attention but it's not a big deal. I actually thought people citing it as a Best Picture nominee were kinda crazy.

I agree with this.

I'd also say a directing nomination for J.J. Abrams would have been deserved as well.

He used a good mix of practical and digital effects with results that felt real.

He got good performances out of the cast. You felt that the characters were really feeling their moments, not easy to do when you're performing in front of a green screen and not actually dodging laser blasts in a tie fighter. I think that speaks to the quality of the acting and directing.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
So, my bigger issue is that "popular" films generally get overlooked for consideration for "above the line" awards just because they are well liked by the public. The Academy is just silly like that
Similar to how the Academy typically overlooks animated movies...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom