The Force Awakens

G00fyDad

Not sure how that would be possible as of right now. Obi-Wan had no family shown in any of the previous movies.

I know. But the fan theory I read said something about Obi-wan getting together with someone between episodes 3 and 4. He was not with the Jedi anymore after all. Remember, he talked to Luke in ep 4 about the old Jedi, and how they used to be around. He might now have been so attached to their ways once he was out from under the eyes of the Jedi Order. He was in that desert a very, very long time.

I agree. Not likely, but interesting theory.

erasure fan1

Well we just saw it for the 2nd time today. I have to say, seeing it a 2nd time made a huge difference in my opinion of the movie. I liked the movie a lot more after seeing it again. I guess without all the expectations and trying to figure out what was going to happen I was able to just sit back and enjoy. And man did I enjoy it!

Phroobar

I too saw the movie again this morning. This time I paid a lot of attention to the dialog and what was in the background. There is no dialog that hints at Rey being either a Skywalker or Solo. No one ever says it out loud and Leia doesn't know who she is. She is someone new that has force ability. She might have been at Luke's academy when she was young but she isn't a Skywalker. Someone that is untrained but very strong in the force can do amazing things if they tap into it. For most people it takes training but others are just good at something from the start. We see people all the time have a special talent or skill without formal education. I also noticed Yoda and Obiwan's voices during her force vision. I like how the force vision showed both the future and the past. I think we are going to see a lot of the Knights of Ren in the next movie.

G00fyDad

I too saw the movie again this morning. This time I paid a lot of attention to the dialog and what was in the background. There is no dialog that hints at Rey being either a Skywalker or Solo. No one ever says it out loud and Leia doesn't know who she is. She is someone new that has force ability. She might have been at Luke's academy when she was young but she isn't a Skywalker. Someone that is untrained but very strong in the force can do amazing things if they tap into it. For most people it takes training but others are just good at something from the start. We see people all the time have a special talent or skill without formal education. I also noticed Yoda and Obiwan's voices during her force vision. I like how the force vision showed both the future and the past. I think we are going to see a lot of the Knights of Ren in the next movie.

There actually is a comment in the movie that alludes to her being a Skywalker. Watch the movie again when you get a chance and listen to Maz Kamada. She states that the lightsaber once belonged to Luke Skywalker and his father before him and now it belongs to her.

Phroobar

There actually is a comment in the movie that alludes to her being a Skywalker. Watch the movie again when you get a chance and listen to Maz Kamada. She states that the lightsaber once belonged to Luke Skywalker and his father before him and now it belongs to her.

That doesn't mean she is a Skywalker. All the means is now the lightsaber belongs to her. That doesn't necessarily mean an inheritance. Also, why wouldn't Leia & Han know who she is? You would think they would know their own niece at least through the Force.

G00fyDad

That doesn't mean she is a Skywalker. All the means is now the lightsaber belongs to her. That doesn't necessarily mean an inheritance. Also, why wouldn't Leia & Han know who she is? You would think they would know their own niece at least through the Force.

I agree, that's why I said it alludes to it. By saying it belonged to Luke and Luke's father yet now it belongs to her it kind of makes it seem like she's Luke's daughter or at least related to him somehow.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Original Poster
It is quite obvious when watching trailer #2, the dialog was cut from the movie itself but watch it again.

Phroobar

I agree, that's why I said it alludes to it. By saying it belonged to Luke and Luke's father yet now it belongs to her it kind of makes it seem like she's Luke's daughter or at least related to him somehow.
Maybe from a certain point of view. She could be a new hope for the Jedi since Luke failed at training Ben Solo.

doctornick

It is quite obvious when watching trailer #2, the dialog was cut from the movie itself but watch it again.

To be clear, that is lines that Luke said in ROTJ (the "you have it too" was referring to Leia), somewhat re-ordered for effect for the advertisement.

I think that it's all misdirection though. The obvious guess after watching the movie is that Rey is Luke's daughter, but it seems like a typical Abrams setup to make something obvious and do a twist where it's not true at all. I'm really thinking that Rey is not related to the rest of the clan, but we'll see in Ep VIII.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

This is the non-spoiler thread so ....

Han spent the most time with her in the movie and we know he is not Force sensitive. Rey was very young when she was brought to Jaku so Han wouldn't necessarily recognize here and probably didn't even know what happened to her. We only see a small scene with Leia and Rey so it's possible the Leia does recognize her but it isn't brought up in the movie or she doesn't tell Rey she knows. Another possibility is that her being Luke's child was kept a secret from everyone, or more extreme, Luke doesn't even know about her.

Clearly the movie doesn't tell us for sure she is, but there is nothing that rules it out either.

Phroobar

Except even the slightest emotion of recognition isn't there from Leia when she meets Rey. Leia knows where she is from and that she was alone there. Even Kylo Ren senses no bond to her beyond her being force sensitive. I think Rey has something to do with Max von Sydow's character.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom