The Force Awakens

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
I enjoyed all 88 seconds of the teaser. It made me flashback to the excitement I had as a boy waiting in line for the very first movie, "A New Hope". This many years later, there are very few movie franchises that create that visceral reaction in me.

*1023*

danlb_2000

Premium Member
News and rumors here, lets start with the first teaser.

I liked it, great tease for what we are going to see. Loved the X-wing scene and the cross blade light saber. I am guessing the voice over is Max Von Sydow. I wasn't sure at first but comparing some audio of him I think it is. The Falcon scene defiantly has the JJ Abrams aesthetic to it, but they didn't go over board with the lens flare.

Progress.City

As I was saying over on the Spirit thread, my biggest hang up that is becoming something almost compulsive is that fact that we are back on Tatooine. This is a place that we keep ending up at (like Denny's late night on a weekend).

In ANH, Luke dreamed that one day he would leave that big desert in the middle of nowhere of the Galaxy. His hatred for the planet is made clear in this dialog with Obi-Wan.

Obi-Wan: "You're going to have to sell your speeder."
Luke: "That's fine. I'm never going to go back to this planet!"

In RotJ, our hero is forced to make a return visit in order to rescue Han from Jabba the Hutt. When the mission gets botched, there's this dialog between Han and Luke.

Luke: "I was born here, you know..."
Han: "You're going to die here, you know..."

That last piece of dialog could very well be foreshadowing for the new trilogy. Either this movie, or one of the other two movies, could very well have a dramatic death scene involving Luke on Tatooine.

In RotJ, once the gang kills Jabba and scrambles away from Tatooine, there's a sense of relief that they have finally left and I don't think they ever wanted to return. Han has bad memories because what he went through with Jabba, as Leia het bad memories.

In the prequels, Anikan's family are slaves on Tatooine. His family only live there because they are not free to go elsewhere. Tatooine is not a planet you want to live on, unless you're a moisture vaporator farmer, a gangster, a pod racer, a gambler, or other personalities such attract.

That said, I see no reason why the gang would ever decide to retire there. Unless there's a story twist that makes them go back there....

Last edited:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I am not surprised, I always assumed that they would go this route and keep the Lucasfilm branding.

I think it's not unlike using Marvel's brand for the comic movies. Lucasfilm is synonyms with Star Wars. Maybe if they keep the brands separate and are good stewards they will lengthen and grow them for a long time.

*1023*
I totally agree that the green lucas script is synonymous with Star Wars. I just figured as promotionally ignant that a lot of people make Disney out to be, you would have expected to see the initial scene castle with the falcon inserted instead of tinker bell.......

I have seen a few people say they didn't like it. Personally I am not a light sable "purist", I like the variations they have come up with. I even liked the "dark sabre" that showed up in Clone Wars.

Remember, A Jedi/Sith constructs their own battle saber at the end of their training. I would think having a hilt to remove hands and protect one's own, would be "handy"....

*1023*

doctornick

I am not surprised, I always assumed that they would go this route and keep the Lucasfilm branding.

Agreed. I would be pretty surprised to see the Disney castle appear before the film. Maybe you'd have the Disney branding at the end, after the credits, but I don't expect it. Much like the Marvel films, they will use Lucasfilm as its own brand in promoting the film.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Agreed. I would be pretty surprised to see the Disney castle appear before the film. Maybe you'd have the Disney branding at the end, after the credits, but I don't expect it. Much like the Marvel films, they will use Lucasfilm as its own brand in promoting the film.

I wonder if it will have the Bad Robot logo at the beginning.

I wonder if it will have the Bad Robot logo at the beginning.

I hope not. JJ has plenty of other places for his self promotion. He should stick that logo on his TV properties only, like a vanity card. The only sad thing might be that we will not have the FOX theme before the beginning of the movie. As a very young person, I thought the FOX music was only at the beginning of Star Wars movies.... ahhhh youth....

*1023*

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom