The First Aid's new look has emerged

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
The walls have come down for the First Aid:

attachment.php

What it looked like before:

First-aid.jpg

I am very pleased with the new look. I'm looking forward to when current construction/refurbishment of Main Street is complete.

Mickey_777

Better. Although I thought it didn't look "that" bad before considering it was a temporary building. They did their best to theme the outside. The new facade on the left looks like it's missing a FIRST AID marquee. It'll show up any day now I'm sure.

Travel Junkie

Maybe it is different in person, but looks too much like a movie set facade to me. Again it could be the angle but it is very flat.

RMichael21

The walls have come down for the First Aid:

attachment.php

What it looked like before:

First-aid.jpg

I am very pleased with the new look. I'm looking forward to when current construction/refurbishment of Main Street is complete.
Maybe it's a bit different there, but the forced perspective is pretty obvious. Look at the door size compared to the windows!

lazyboy97o

Maybe it's a bit different there, but the forced perspective is pretty obvious. Look at the door size compared to the windows!
That sort of proportional relationship between the ground floor and upper levels is rather common in buildings of the time period. It is trying to have that dainty Disneyland look but by trying to be theme parky; it knows it is a fake.

TP2000

I went to the park this afternoon and saw this building for myself. It's already changed from the photos above, with different "FIRST AID" stained glass light fixtures now on each side of the door instead of the generic lamps. There's also some holes and things in the buildings that are obviously for signage yet to arrive, and the interior lobby hasn't received any of its props and pictures yet.

It's just a blank room, but it already looks way more period-appropriate than the 1980's "country casual" vibe the old First Aid had.

The old First Aid lobby. Your great aunt picked out that same wallpaper for her dining room in 1987.
1152709_orig.jpg

The lighted pediment on the top of the new brick building says "MEDICAL BUILDING", which is clever.

But it all looks a bit different in person, especially because you almost always view this new building at an angle as you approach it or look at it from the corn dog cart or beyond. It sits on an angle that's quite different from the nearby buildings, and it's also much closer in than the old 1960's dressed-up trailers used to be.

Over all, it looks like a HUGE improvement over what was there before. I also thought it looked especially good while standing on the Main Street USA sidewalk or in the street itself, because it's a real building at a slight angle to the Camera Shop/Baby Care Center near it, and it gives Main Street a real depth and visual interest that was lacking. Before, when you'd look at the corn dog cart from the sidewalk, you just saw a walkway and railing surrounding a manicured lawn with high blank walls. Now you see these new buildings behind the landscaping, and it gives that corner of the park much more depth and visual interest.

But go see it for yourself!

And finally, here's a funny picture of this same little corner of the park from the 1950's when the park's First Aid station was in Fantasyland, before the First Aid was moved into dressed up trailers here in the 1960's. Back then this corner was just the Baby Station, Hosted by Pablum next to some kind of tacky circus-stripe walls across from the old Red Wagon Inn.

Judging by the hairdos and hemlines, this is about 1957. Maybe '58.
pablum.jpg

http://www.matterhorn1959.com/blog1/pablum.jpg

Last edited:

Marc Gil

I went to the park this afternoon and saw this building for myself. It's already changed from the photos above, with different "FIRST AID" stained glass light fixtures now on each side of the door instead of the generic lamps. There's also some holes and things in the buildings that are obviously for signage yet to arrive, and the interior lobby hasn't received any of its props and pictures yet.

It's just a blank room, but it already looks way more period-appropriate than the 1980's "country casual" vibe the old First Aid had.

The old First Aid lobby. Your great aunt picked out that same wallpaper for her dining room in 1987.
1152709_orig.jpg

The lighted pediment on the top of the new brick building says "MEDICAL BUILDING", which is clever.

But it all looks a bit different in person, especially because you almost always view this new building at an angle as you approach it or look at it from the corn dog cart or beyond. It sits on an angle that's quite different from the nearby buildings, and it's also much closer in than the old 1960's dressed-up trailers used to be.

Over all, it looks like a HUGE improvement over what was there before. I also thought it looked especially good while standing on the Main Street USA sidewalk or in the street itself, because it's a real building at a slight angle to the Camera Shop/Baby Care Center near it, and it gives Main Street a real depth and visual interest that was lacking. Before, when you'd look at the corn dog cart from the sidewalk, you just saw a walkway and railing surrounding a manicured lawn with high blank walls. Now you see these new buildings behind the landscaping, and it gives that corner of the park much more depth and visual interest.

But go see it for yourself!

And finally, here's a funny picture of this same little corner of the park from the 1950's when the park's First Aid station was in Fantasyland, before the First Aid was moved into dressed up trailers here in the 1960's. Back then this corner was just the Baby Station, Hosted by Pablum next to some kind of tacky circus-stripe walls across from the old Red Wagon Inn.

Judging by the hairdos and hemlines, this is about 1957. Maybe '58.
pablum.jpg

http://www.matterhorn1959.com/blog1/pablum.jpg
Glad to here that appropriate fixtures were added. Either way it looks a lot better than what it used to.

TP2000

Glad to here that appropriate fixtures were added. Either way it looks a lot better than what it used to.

Agreed. It's a dramatically nicer area, and much more themed, than what had been there since the early 1960's. Over fifty years!

You can see the stained glass red cross fixtures aside the doors in this photo. The fixtures from the first photo in this thread must have only been up for a day or two, as they were gone by the time I saw them last Wednesday.

DSC_4848-L.jpg

Here's one up close.
DSC_4781-M.jpg

One of the windows over the entrance says that Doc Sherwood has a practice there in the Main Street Medical Building. Dr. Sherwood was the name of Walt's childhood family doctor in Marceline, Missouri. Clever!

DSC_4803-M.jpg

All photos from another excellent weekly photo update at Dateline Disneyland. http://micechat.com/83585-disneyland-main-street-changes/

Marc Gil

Agreed. It's a dramatically nicer, and much more themed, area than what had been there since the early 1960's. Over fifty years!

You can see the stained glass red cross fixtures aside the doors in this photo. The fixtures from the first photo in this thread must have only been up for a day or two, as they were gone by the time I saw them last Wednesday.

DSC_4848-L.jpg

Here's one up close.
DSC_4781-M.jpg

One of the windows over the entrance says that Doc Sherwood has a practice there in the Main Street Medical Building. Dr. Sherwood was the name of Walt's childhood family doctor in Marceline, Missouri. Clever!

DSC_4803-M.jpg

All photos from another excellent weekly photo update at Dateline Disneyland. http://micechat.com/83585-disneyland-main-street-changes/
Neat-o! What a nice tribute.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom