The feral cats of Disneyland

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I'm bored, so yes, I'm creating a thread on the cats that live in Disneyland.

Two years after Disneyland's opening in 1957, Sleeping Beauty Castle was renovated. During this time, over one hundred cats were found the the parts of the castle that were unused, as well as termites and fleas. Instead of getting total rid of the cats, it was decided that they would be kept, "housed", fed and used to keep rodents away.

As of now, the cats have multiple feeding stations in the park. Most of them are neutered and kittens are given away for adoption. They tend to stay backstage, but it's not uncommon to see them around the park. I've seen people feed and pet the cats, they're harmless.

Ryan Gosling talks about the "commando cats."

disney_cat_3.jpg

FeralCat.jpg

466607330_eUNw2-M.jpg

StarWarsGirl

I saw one at Grand Californian at night. Round face, mostly white with brown tabby markings. Actually, keeping the cats around sounds like a really good way to keep the area rodent free, as was stated.

I recall seeing one over at Epcot too.

Also, kudos to Disney. Those cats were just trying to make a home, and I'm so glad they decided to let them continue while at the same time neutering to prevent the population from increasing too much.

Ralphlaw

I like the idea of them, but droppings, death and public fights with rats may be a bit shocking. Overall, a plus, but obviously a few unfortunate incidents have probably popped up over the years. Is there a "Keeper of the Cats" at Disneyland to deal with such things?

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Nov2012-0890.jpg

Nov2012-0891.jpg

Found this little guy on the walkway to the parking structure. Wanted to take him home, but he didn't want to come with us... I guess he liked living at Disneyland. It would be a cool souvenir, though. :D

That's a beautiful cat.

I'm curious, did you really approach the cat and try to take it home? LOL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom