The Fantasyland That Never Was

hiptwinmama

because if they are looking to get rid of the raceway, it would give them and excuse to do so. I love the raceway and would NEVER want to see it go.

cheezbat

The Speedway is garbage. I don't know why they haven't done more with this ride maintenance wise...theme wise...and energy conservation wise. It's loud, ugly, slow, smelly, and has the most boring Six Flags style go kart layout.
For people who compare it to Autopia...that's a laugh. Autopia is longer, prettier, and nowhere near the ugly eyesore Speedway is.

Both rides could use some serious updates though.

Genie of the Lamp

The Speedway is garbage. I don't know why they haven't done more with this ride maintenance wise...theme wise...and energy conservation wise. It's loud, ugly, slow, smelly, and has the most boring Six Flags style go kart layout.
For people who compare it to Autopia...that's a laugh. Autopia is longer, prettier, and nowhere near the ugly eyesore Speedway is.

Both rides could use some serious updates though.

Plus, a problem with the speedway is when a little kid drives it, it's kinda hard to get the car moving as you really need to press hard on the peddle to get it moving. I remember when I went on it 2 years ago, there was a 4-5 year old driving it with his dad next to him and he would go for like 20 seconds and then you'd see this abrupt stop. Plus in the car I was in I really had to press full force on the gas pedal to get it at the normal speed for the ride. Drove me nuts but being the respectable fanboi guest I was, I didn't let it get to me.

Sped2424

Plus, a problem with the speedway is when a little kid drives it, it's kinda hard to get the car moving as you really need to press hard on the peddle to get it moving. I remember when I went on it 2 years ago, there was a 4-5 year old driving it with his dad next to him and he would go for like 20 seconds and then you'd see this abrupt stop. Plus in the car I was in I really had to press full force on the gas pedal to get it at the normal speed for the ride. Drove me nuts but being the respectable fanboi guest I was, I didn't let it get to me.
They really should make new foot petals or something because those suckers are really tough to push and that is for me it would make sense if they gave new cars themed to wreck it Ralph.

Genie of the Lamp

They really should make new foot petals or something because those suckers are really tough to push and that is for me it would make sense if they gave new cars themed to wreck it Ralph.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one who thinks that. Yeah we can convert the ride into "Sugar Rush Lanes" and make the cars like the one's in the film. Ralph would have a hard time pushing the pedal being he's donkey kong like size and all.

Sped2424

yeah those cars are in dire need of refurb kids gotta be able to drive and there is a lot of potential if they themed it to wreck it ralph the cars could be sugar rush themed as well as the track however during certain sections cy bugs could rear their ugly heads maybe even some cool Animatronic action. Heck they could even have little spots on the track way which would give you power ups some that you could use to either speed up or impede movement of the other cars around you!!

DJMoore2011

I have kids. When they were 5-7 years old they enjoyed the speedway, and I have some great photos of them that I am grateful for. But the truth is, we haven't been on the ride the last 3 trips to WDW. The window of enjoyment seems pretty short. The ride really is loud, hot, and stinky. I'm pretty sure the track has now been shortened 2 times already? Once for Minnie's house, and again for Dumbo. The ride needs to go... I had much more fun taking my son with me to the golf course, and letting him steer the cart. Electric, smooth, and quiet. Ahhhh......

Oh, while I was at WDW in November, the Speedway went down because one of the cars was on fire.

So because you don't ride it others shouldn't?

I am glad the Speedway is still there, it's given my daughter a way to connect with her Uncle who has passed. He rode the ride as a new United States Marine when he was done with boot camp and him and friends traveled to WDW to Celebrate. I have a picture of them standing by the track. Years later I now have a picture of my daughter in the same spot her Uncle was. Those pictures stand side by side on my desk. Sadly my brother passed away without knowing his Niece and him shared a very awesome experience. So for us we don't want the track to go. Yes there are ways to make it better. But to make it go away, well that would be hard to explain to my Special Needs Daughter and I hope I don't have too one day.

cheezbat

So because you don't ride it others shouldn't?

I am glad the Speedway is still there, it's given my daughter a way to connect with her Uncle who has passed. He rode the ride as a new United States Marine when he was done with boot camp and him and friends traveled to WDW to Celebrate. I have a picture of them standing by the track. Years later I now have a picture of my daughter in the same spot her Uncle was. Those pictures stand side by side on my desk. Sadly my brother passed away without knowing his Niece and him shared a very awesome experience. So for us we don't want the track to go. Yes there are ways to make it better. But to make it go away, well that would be hard to explain to my Special Needs Daughter and I hope I don't have too one day.
It will go away...someday. Personally, I think they should do a complete rethink/rebuild of it if they plan on keeping it...because its terrible in its current state.
I remember the story of the kid who rode Snow White like a thousand times. That was his ride. It's never easy to explain to a special needs person why something that they love goes away...but it happens. I hope for your daughters sake they either redo the attraction or something that will equally excite her is put in its place.

doctornick

I think if they gave the speedway a thematic overhaul and actually make use of the space there it could be a real e ticket if they tried

I'm a big fan of the idea that if you want to keep the speedway in their current format, that theming it to Sugar Rush (from Wreck It Ralph) would be great and provide a good transition between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. IIRC the video arcade is right next to the speedway, so that could be themed to Litwak's Arcade from the movie.

awoogala

I'm a big fan of the idea that if you want to keep the speedway in their current format, that theming it to Sugar Rush (from Wreck It Ralph) would be great and provide a good transition between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. IIRC the video arcade is right next to the speedway, so that could be themed to Litwak's Arcade from the movie.

I always think that's what they do these days.. pre-brainstorm rides when they do the movie. I like that idea (if they have to keep it), at least it's fresh. But I'd rather they build a new, trackless dark ride, so it goes a little faster/nuttier.

Sped2424

I always think that's what they do these days.. pre-brainstorm rides when they do the movie. I like that idea (if they have to keep it), at least it's fresh. But I'd rather they build a new, trackless dark ride, so it goes a little faster/nuttier.

mhm thats not a bad idea at all either, and that is some serious prime real estate, if they were to enclose that area and make it trackless while theming it to wreck it ralph you have a serious e ticket on your hands.

Bocabear

Theming the ride to ANYTHING would be nice. Autopia worked back in the 50s in Tomorrowland Disneyland... They have updated and it still looks sort of futuristic... They built an electric version at Hong Kong Disneyland with set pieces and futuristic theming... THAT works... If they are going to keep this giant waste of space, they could at least bring it up to the 21st Century and add some thematic design to it...It could be a beautiful tone setting signature attraction rather than a relic. There were also plans from about 10 years ago that showed an Autopia style attraction being added to Test Track outdoors...Which would be perfect for this attraction as it stands now.

iheartdisney91

Wonderland?! That would have been AWESOME! i guess there is still some room however, if they ever did
trash the speed way. i'd love to go to Wonderland, it would be pretty, and colorful! idk if it would fit in with Belle, Snow, and Ariel though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom