The Fantasyland That Never Was

td1129

I think there's a few other places in DisneyWorld for kids, but I'm not sure...

Do you know that Disney looks at that property as dollar signs, not your kid enjoying a car ride? There's gold in them there hills.

Just a simple question. If you had kids, I'm confident you wouldn't feel that the speedway is a "giant waste of space." Just my opinion of course, and also probably most parents...and kids. But hey, it's not a new screen based simulator based on a crap blockbuster, so chop it!

JungleTrekFan

BACK ON TOPIC
This would of been very interesting, but turning the speedway into fantasyland would have alienated (hehe puns) that corner of Tomorrowland. Personally i think the speedway works as an attraction (i still like it and I’m in my 20’s) but the issues with it are; it smells really bad of gasoline and that it really has no futuristic theming. The space issues could be dealt with by expanding beyond the railroad. But the cars really need a refurbishment from its current 1960’s race theme. If electric is to expensive, new batteries and charging at loading dock could cause higher operation cost and safety concerns, then what about hydrogen or natural gas. Zero or little emissions and neither smell horribly.

wedenterprises

Just a simple question. If you had kids, I'm confident you wouldn't feel that the speedway is a "giant waste of space." Just my opinion of course, and also probably most parents...and kids. But hey, it's not a new screen based simulator based on a crap blockbuster, so chop it!

It doesn't matter who likes it, it's a waste of valuable ($$) space. I'm not saying there shouldn't be a go kart ride, I'm saying its a massive waste of space both thematically and financially.

wedenterprises

BACK ON TOPIC
This would of been very interesting, but turning the speedway into fantasyland would have alienated (hehe puns) that corner of Tomorrowland. Personally i think the speedway works as an attraction (i still like it and I’m in my 20’s) but the issues with it are; it smells really bad of gasoline and that it really has no futuristic theming. The space issues could be dealt with by expanding beyond the railroad. But the cars really need a refurbishment from its current 1960’s race theme. If electric is to expensive, new batteries and charging at loading dock could cause higher operation cost and safety concerns, then what about hydrogen or natural gas. Zero or little emissions and neither smell horribly.

you could take a look at making the speedway 2 or even 3 stories tall... And yes, expanding past the railroad. Not sure what is possible but there are ways to keep the ride and add space.

There's a nice sense of freedom on the ride especially at night, so I would probably vote for a combination of expanding past the railway and going 2 stories... Making the ride any shorter wouldn't be too good.

cheezbat

SO TO THE TOPIC: What do you guys think of what could've been a Wonderland mini-land in New Fantasyland?

Keeping on topic and answering your question: a new quick service restaurant, a newer version of the Alice dark ride from DL, and a maze similar to the one in Paris...and a meet n greet of course!

George Lucas on a Bench

This could have been awesome. Fix the transition between those lands and maybe add the Alice in Wonderland dark ride from Disneyland, which would have blown away all the other new Fantasyland attractions.

J03Y

BACK ON TOPIC

i like this, see if they could theme it similar to how Epcot did with Test Track it would fit thematically with the rest of Tomorrowland. that i can keep. and for pete's sake rename it Autopia, too. it always baffled me why they didn't keep the name when they made a go kart attraction here.

Californian Elitist

i like this, see if they could theme it similar to how Epcot did with Test Track it would fit thematically with the rest of Tomorrowland. that i can keep. and for pete's sake rename it Autopia, too. it always baffled me why they didn't keep the name when they made a go kart attraction here.

Well Autopia and Speedway have two different themes (neither are go-karts, BTW). Autopia has, well, had, a futuristic theme. Speedway has a race car theme. For that, the name Speedway fits better than Autopia.

Patricia Melton

I would love to see an Alice in Wonderland mini-land emerge from real estate reclaimed from the Speedway. I think it would be perfect and delightful there. Take half of the Speedway and create Wonderland and the other half to build new Tomorrowland attractions.

Go-carts can be built at either EPCOT or DHS. Theme the Go-carts to CARS and have it be an international grand prix theme.

How wonderful it would be to have the smell and the noise of the Go-carts gone from MK!

mouse_luv

And then everyone would be complaining that the Speedway cars are stinking up DHS or wherever. They just need to overhaul the cars in the speedway at MK and get rid of the exhaust smell and make them more futuristic. It's one of the few rides there is at MK for little boys. IDK why everyone has to give it such a bad rap. :confused:

TP2000

I find it interesting that this art was shown at Disneyland. Has any Fantasyland concept, but not to be realized, art been displayed at Walt Disney World?

I had to chuckle at that too. The Disneyland Resort has two separate locations for this type of preview artwork to appear; the Blue Sky Cellar Preview Center at DCA, and the Disney Gallery on Main Street USA at Disneyland, both locations within about a 7 minute stroll of each other.

And yet in all of WDW, there's really not an area for this type of product or artwork to appear. The Fantasyland Expansion never got a Preview Center, and One Man's Dream at DHS is just sort of a nicely carpeted corner that they tend to ignore.

And so, 3,000 miles away in Anaheim, where they regularly update the Disney Gallery art exhibits two or three times per year, this little nugget of new info on the FLE appears.

Is TDO really so clueless that they are now letting TDA do their preview centers for them?!? o_O

Timothy_Q

The first concept art is actually of a Pooh area. Is that an abandoned idea or are we getting that in the Snow White complex right in front of Pooh's ride?

WED99

Wonderland would make a great area! However, I strongly believe it would work better with Burton's interpretation, not Walt.

Although the original created the lovable characters, Burton really made the environment what it should of been. Walt's vision was just a Forrest (however, this worked for the film!).

I'm thinking a walk through based area with a new Dark Ride, Tea Cups and a Tea Party Cafe!

tl77

The Alice in Wonderland stuff looks great, but the problem with turning the Speedway into Fantasyland is what do you do about the Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe building? If they didn't change Cosmic Ray's you'd have that little walkway with a Fantasyland theme on one side and Tomorrowland on the other

I think if they wanted to re-theme the Speedway they should try something like this from the "Magic Highway USA" episode of the old "Disneyland" TV show

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom