The fabulous 'Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland' - a venture

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Thanks, and it has been quite enjoyable for the most part.

Some neat happenings...being at the right place at the right time...one being a ride on the Astro Orbiter as the evenings fireworks presentation was climaxing in a colorful finale.
A cool moment, and a great view!
I recommend trying this out, as there is no wait since everyone is squeezed onto Main Street during the show, and you cannot beat the dizzying view above the masses.

Riding one of the last trains of the night at BTMR was fairly neat too on my final night in the Park for this visit.
There is just something surreal about whirling around those attractive buttes at midnight on a fine late Spring evening with a bunch of off duty CMs and die hard *Mountain* freaks.

Have i mentioned yet that i rode that Attraction 15 times within a four day period?

No..?

Well i am not ashamed at all in confessing that.
Loved every second of it.

Of the 15 rides, only twice did the explosion effects not work correctly ( lack of *smoke* ).

Lots a *firsts* this visit...horse trolly rides on Main Street, Red Car trolly ride at DCA, Autopia, Cafe Orleans, and riding on the Mark Twain.
The cruise aboard the Mark Twain is great...very relaxing and the scenic views are inviting.
It draws you into the environment, and easily sucks you into another time.
I have cruised many times on WDW*s riverboat, but DLs experience was charming and i liked the scenery.

I have a nice story about my visit to Cafe Orleans....as well as a few other tales i was told by Baxter loving Cast Members.

I was wearing my *Discovery Bay* shirt the day a visited, and while dining there alone at my table i was approached by a elder CM who had noticed it while passing by on his serving runs.
He eventually came over to talk to me and express how much he wished they had actually built that area at DL. I totally agreed.
He also wanted to know where i had found the unique shirt, and once i told him the story of it*s origin he encouraged me to send a photo of it to Disney*s merchandise designing department and tell them they need to make something like this available for purchase.
With the recent series of nostalgic laced t-shirts being sold online during limited time periods, i suppose something like this might be of interest to others who remember this great concept.

It was cool to talk to him about *DIscovery Bay*, as he remembered when there used to be a display inside one of the buildings on Main Street promoting it as a *Coming Soon* addition in the early 70s.
That was a nice little display showcasing concept artwork and a neat model showing the proposed area.

A photo of that neat model from the archives ...the *Baxterland* that could have been !

Looking at this photo makes me so wish it was there....or IS it....?
I found a little reminder of this area on my recent venture that was a unexpected surprise in the most unlikely of places..atop a building in Frontierland.

More shall be revealed once i am able to compile and share some photos from the *Return*.

More to come....

Last edited:

maxgoof

Gosh, sounds wonderful! Cant wait to hear all about it Figments Friend....lets get my dad, have a cup of Hi Dad soup and meet over at Lesters and talk about it! I hear they have redone their pizza at Lesters...LOL

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Thanks maxgoof, and keep the soup hot.
;)

I will begin with what i found to be a great way to start the visit -
Seeing *Tony*s Mountain* on the front cover of the Guide Map.

Nice....!

This visit was very different in character to the last venture.
No *sequel* ever quite lives up to the original, but this was more of a new chapter in the ongoing journey and not meant to be a *sequel* anyway.
This chapter focuses more on decor, small details, artwork, and...oh yes....Tony*s big mining complex over there in Frontierland.
Spent a lot of time over there.

Also devoted some time to just wandering around aimlessly and looking in all the little shop windows around the Park. Some real delightful things to see in some of them...and some hidden surprises.
Main Street, New Orleans Square, and Frontierland had some lovely decor....not to mention some impressive graphic art displays in the World of Disney megastore at DTD.
I had viewed some of the larger displays on Main Street during previous visits, but there were many smaller windows that i had somewhat passed by.
This visit i made it a point to pay some attention to them and like everything else at DL, when you take the time to look a little deeper you are always rewarded.

But i am getting ahead of myself.

Come friends, and step beyond this throughway.
Join me in a short venture through *Baxterland* once again.....where anything can happen and everything is possible.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

The first stop was of course Main Street to view Tony*s wonderful window.
It was just a great moment to be able to see this in person, and these photos do not do it justice.
It is absolutely beautiful to see in it*s actual setting.

Every time i passed it throughout the four day venture i had to nod my head in respect towards this cool tribute to a man that has inspired me a great deal through the years.

The photo below shows more of the details, as well as an attempt to try to capture the lovely golden glean that reflects off of the lettering.

Last edited:

sweetpee_1993

Does Tony Baxter ever wear his mustache turned up with handlebars? Would it be plausible to think he may be on a United flight from San Francisco to SNA on a Saturday morning?

Side note. Met new Disney friends at the beginning of our trip. Sweetest most friendly amazing couple ever. Anywhoo, the mister is involved with some hobbyist model train groups that have some Imagineers in their fold. He told us about attending an event or 2 at Tony Baxter's house. He told us about a lot of really mind blowing things Mr. Baxter has displayed in his home. The 2 things that really showed the extent of Mr. Baxter's love of all things Disney are the 2 trees in his front yard. I guess a while back the hub in DL was overhauled and some trees were removed. Guess where 2 of the trees from DL's hub now live? Mr. Baxter's front yard. Is that not the ultimate Disney collectible? Who else in this world can go sit under a tree in their yard and know it once graced the Happiest Place on Earth? That thousands and thousands of people have photos of your trees???? Mind. Blown.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Ah yes...those fabulous trees, complete with the original twinkling lights.
Tony*s passion for the Park is second to none, and i cannot think of a better place for those original plantings to live out the rest of their humble lives post-DIsneyland duty then at Baxter Manor.
They fit right in on the grounds.

I touched on this very topic about him making arrangements to have those uprooted trees replanted at his home earlier in this very thread.
There are a pair of photos i shared at the time that i have re-posted here for your enjoyment.
You can see how happy he is to have them !

The top photo is teenaged Tony visiting the Park and posing in front of one of the trees, the lower image shows him at home in front of the very same tree...30 something years later.

Great to see others are aware of this lovely story, and thanks sweetpea_1993 for sharing your recent encounter with that friendly couple.

Yes, Tony*s abode is quite a magical place in it*s own right.
His interests are across a wide spectrum and everything is represented in some form or another.
He should start charging admission, as his residence is quite a charming spectacle to behold.
I have a friend who had the honor of visiting a few years ago.
Oh to have been in his shoes....!

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Does Tony Baxter ever wear his mustache turned up with handlebars? Would it be plausible to think he may be on a United flight from San Francisco to SNA on a Saturday morning?

Like the famous quote Walt used to say about Disneyland -
Anything is possible.

I have to say however that i cannot recall ever seeing Tony appear that way.
He has a lot of *lookalikes* out their in the world though.
I saw a few of them at the Park this visit that made me do a double take, but in the end all were imposters.

There can only be ONE...and you will know when it is him.

;)

sweetpee_1993

Like the famous quote Walt used to say about Disneyland -
Anything is possible.

I have to say however that i cannot recall ever seeing Tony appear that way.
He has a lot of *lookalikes* out their in the world though.
I saw a few of them at the Park this visit that made me do a double take, but in the end all were imposters.

There can only be ONE...and you will know when it is him.

;)

I rarely ever really *look* at people's faces in passing. We were standing there waiting as our plane that just arrived from San Francisco emptied. This guy walked past me and I definitely did a double take. I didn't stare or anything. As he stood making a phone call not far away from us I noticed the handlebars on the mustache. Prob'ly wasn't him but I totally agree there's something about his appearance that makes you feel like, "Hey! I know I know that guy!"

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Indeed....which is part of the fun of visiting Disneyland.
You just never know who you might see.

Lots of famous folks visit..not just random Imagineers, artists, and others who work for the Company that Disney fans may be familiar with.
I always try to be aware of the people around me and pay attention to folks when walking around the Park.

This visit i did a lot of sitting back on certain benches and other seats just people watching.
Spent some lovely time on the 'front porch' on Main Street having my traditional 'memorial ice cream cone' in tribute to my favorite ex-scooper, Mr. Baxter.
Once during the heat of the day, and another time after midnight.
Quite a nice pair of moments for some reflection.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

As we continue along Main Street USA, i have to say i was thrilled with the new themed art display presently at the Disney Gallery and Opera House.
Perfectly themed for this venture too, 'Mechanical Kingdoms' will thrill any fan of industrial grade 'steampunk' design stylings.
Some fun sculptures and some interesting visual graphics on the walls to be had.
If you are visiting within the next few months i highly recommend a visit.

The Opera House had a special collection of concept art and a few models that related to the topic, and it was a sheer joy to see some of these pieces.
A complete surprise, which is nice, as i love finding 'little bits o' Tony' like this sprinkled around the Property.

What i am talking about is what i referred to as 'Tony's Corner' here at the Opera House -

This corner showcased several pieces of art that directly related to projects he had worked on or had a real passion for.
It was really cool to see his beautiful watercolor rendering of his beloved 'Discovery Bay' project on display, as well as a amazing concept drawing of the finalized 'Dream Machine' vehicle from the Original 'Journey Into Imagination' Attraction.
I had never seen this particular JII piece before until now. Quite exciting for this longtime fan of the Attractions past.

Even the frames were themed perfectly. Check out this neat detailing -

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

I should note that the large design shown on the wall above is one of Tim Delaney's fabulous concept paintings for Disneyland Paris' Discoveryland.
It relates to the Baxter-esque theme, since DLP is 'Tony's Park'.

:)

A closer look at those pieces shown below now....

Framed 'Discovery Bay' watercolor reproduction -

Description placard for the design -

Closer inspection revealed some wonderful details i never knew were present until now.
I always had to squint at poorly scanned digital copies...or tiny printings contained within books over the years, but seeing this up close and personal was a great experience.
Every brushstroke could be seen and the detailing present in the design was fantastic!

Here are some photos of some of those many details.
Absolutely stunning work.

I have to admit i think this is one of Tony's finest pieces of artwork that i have seen.
This is one of those paintings where the viewer can just get sucked right into the environment the longer they view it. Awesome.
And to think WED told him he was just 'adequate' as a artist when he went in for a interview for a job there..!
I hope that when he finally gets around to writing his book, he includes a section that showcases his lovely artwork over the years.

Closer view of all the industrial buildings in the background, as well as the Nautilus -

'Hyperion' detailing and surrounding grounds -

The mark of the artist himself....

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Continuing now with 'Tony's Corner' at the Opera House -

Framed concept drawing by Joe Denton for what eventually became the famous 'Dream Machine' flying contraption that carried our creative heroes Dreamfiner and Figment into imaginative realms of delight in Tony's masterwork, the Original 'Journey Into Imagination' Attraction that once graced EPCOT Center.

Cool 'steampunk' inspired detailing on the frame -

Design placard description of the artwork -

A closer view to admire the detailing present. Beautifully executed.
A real work of art both on paper and when the machines were actually built.
Man i so miss that Attraction....

The display also included this neat earlier proposed concept for the 'Dream Machine' by Steve Kirk.
Until my recent visit, i has never seen this image before either.
A great couple of finds for this JII Fan !

Description placard for the design -

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Ah...and what would a corner that reminds me of a particular 'idea guy' be without some representations of his other big passion - the Nautilus !

The perfect topper to complete the 'Corner' was this model of the Nautilus.
As fans may be aware of already ( exspecially if you have read this entire thread ) is that Tony and the Nautilus have quite a relationship that goes waaay back.

What better sculpture to place in 'Tony's Corner' then this...?

Tony is a HUGE fan of the Nautilus, and has a very impressive collection of numerous models of the beautifully designed submarine.
All shapes, styles, and sizes.
He could open a museum wing with the pieces he has.

Here is a photo of just a few of his many models ....

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

While on the topic of 'Discovery Bay', let me talk a little more about that fun 'discovery' i came across in Frontierland i alluded to earlier.
There WAS a part of it built at Disneyland after all...!

I am sure other fans long before me have already found this and made the connection, and if nobody has...well, maybe i am just seeing this with a different pair of eyes.

Walking around in Frontierland one afternoon, looking at the various themed buildings, i looked up at the roof of the Shooting Exposition and saw these -
Fireworks rockets ready for 'lighting'...

Okay, maybe these are just part of the patriotic decor...but when i saw these up there i had to stop and smile.
They immediately reminded met of Tony's old 'Firework Factory' shooting gallery concept that was to be included in 'Discovery Bay'.

Here is the concept art of the unique shooting gallery.
Note the firework rockets on the roof..sparking with special effects lighting.

Maybe i am just reading too much into it, but it looks to me like someone did a nice little nod to 'what could have been'...!

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Let us continue now by taking a foot journey from Frontierland to Fantasyland, through a slightly alternative route....
The route for those viewing the Park from the *Baxterland* perspective...!

Walking past the Shooting Expo, there is a beautifully themed passageway to the left that leads to the Rancho del Zocalo Restaurant and onwards through to Fantasy Faire.
Spend some time exploring the charming decor here, as the area is somewhat hidden and it holds some beautiful eye candy.
A lovely small dove fountain, folk glass lanterns hanging about, unique themed Southwestern plantings, and more visual treats are to be had.

I had read somewhere after my previous venture that Mr. Baxter had a hand (or two) in re-theming this area some years ago.
So i made it a point to check it out this time around, and i am glad i did.
A lovely setting right next to BTMR.

Here are just a few photos i snapped...should have taken more.
Something for the next visit.
This area is particularly nice in the evening, with all the lamps aglow.

Let us start with this large wooden door.
Most would probably just walk right by it on the narrow throughway between the lands and not even glance at it, but i noticed it and was struck by all the work that went into making it.

I wonder where this leads to....

A closer view showing some real craftmanship in it*s creation.
Love the texture of the wood, and these fancy doorhandles.

Yes, i am getting enthused about a DOOR...!
Can*t help it, i revel in such details.

The visually pleasing entrance to the cafeteria-style Rancho del Zocalo Restaurant.

This large stained glass window above the entrance is particularly beautiful at night time, when the lighting from inside the restaurant shines through.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

After passing through the covered walkway to the right of Rancho del Zocalo, one finds themselves in Fantasy Faire.

As mentioned previously, this was one of the last projects our favorite Imagineer was directly involved in before retiring from his full time position last year.
A bittersweet irony, but also a lovely closing of a circle, as this re-developed area that was once home to the Carnation Plaza Gardens where he started his career with the Disney organization.

We have all heard the story...and it is here where it all began...and where there was a bit of closure as well.

To your average Guest, this is likely viewed as just a quaint area to meet the Disney Princesses and see a bit of entertainment.
For me, it is viewed differently in a more reflective, personal way for the reasons noted above.

It is nice to see then this little acknowledgement of what used to be there in the form of this crest high above the throughway, below the main tower spire.

A much closer view of the crest.
*X* marks the spot where it all started...

:)

Talking about this area of the Park reminds me of the various Cast Member interactions i had with those custom made Tony Baxter themed Disney Gift Cards.

It was entertaining to use them and see the various reactions from CMs when they saw them.
Almost all did a double take when presented with them as payment, and many times the cards were fun conversation starters.
Many recognized him in the small images, others wanted to know who he was because he *seemed familiar* to them.

One such experience took place in Fantasy Faire while purchasing one of those fabulous boysenberry/apple freezes at *Maurice*s Treats*.
The CM looked the gift card over for a moment or two and then commented - *Well...is*nt this ironic..*.
She then looked at me with a perceptive look and asked if i knew Tony, to which i had to answer honestly.
I was left with the impression that she thought the custom card was something he had made up to give to his friends.
No, just a custom card made up via the official GC website....by a self-confessed great admirer.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom