The fabulous 'Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland' - a venture

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Well I made it...
Happy to say that I am back in 'Baxterland' now...and my what a beautiful sunset greeted me as I took my first stroll around the area after arriving yesterday afternoon.

It has been a incredible start to 'TonyFest 2015' and I feel lucky to be here.
Took some chances, had some doubts, now that commitment is bringing a harvest of bounty.
Bring it on !

Lots of interaction with people already just during the trek to get here....so it will be interesting to see what happens in the Park today.
Off for an adventure now....feeling like a certain favored archeologist, Dr. Jones.
:)

Have fun! I'm going through Disneyland withdrawl right now, as I just got back on Sunday. Looking forward to reading about your adventures.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Thanks!

Apologies for not posting some updates...it has been a whirlwind here in Anaheim...and a hot one at that!

Today was my first Expo day...and that was not something I would label 'fun'.
I came prepared, but even foreknowledge can not prepare you for the confusing, chaotic scene outside the ACC this morning.
My energy level was quickly drained out of me by the hot sun and an hour+ of waiting in hot sun to enter the building.

Once inside, it was a feeding frenzy of bodies flaying about, hands grabbing for all the free goodies, and masses of people.
It quickly could have turned for the worse if I had not done my research.
Still, it was a challenging experience.

Only did one panel, the sole one that was my absolute must...the special 'Imagineering 60 Years of Disneyland' panel.
Several high priority folks from WED and WDI took part, including the man of the hour, Tony, and it was worth the three hours I invested in being able to get into it.

Tony was a joy to behold as always, and shared some insightful thoughts on what influenced him on his rise from a schoolboy Disney 'geek' to creative history with WED / WDI.
He even humbly noted his self confessed stubbornness in certain areas when it comes to what he feels is right.
There is a very strong sense in him that he feels comes to the fore in trying to 'do good' for the people.
Walt Disney himself also had this trait.

I have to add that this venture, which I have called 'TonyFest 2015' has a lot going on behind the curtain.
There has been some wonderful and amazing happenings that have made this experience unique and utterly jaw dropping for a big Baxter fan such as myself.
May this continue!

-

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Thanks!

Apologies for not posting some updates...it has been a whirlwind here in Anaheim...and a hot one at that!

Today was my first Expo day...and that was not something I would label 'fun'.
I came prepared, but even foreknowledge can not prepare you for the confusing, chaotic science outside the ACC this morning.
My energy level was quickly drained out of me by the hot sun and an hour+ of waiting in hot sun to enter the building.

Once inside, it was a feeding frenzy of bodies flaying about, hands grabbing for all the free goodies, and masses of people.
It quickly could have turned for the worse if I had not done my research.
Still, it was a challenging experience.

Only did one panel, the sole one that was my absolute must...the special 'Imagineering 60 Years of Disneyland' panel.
Several high priority folks from WED and WDI took part, including the man of the hour, Tony, and it was worth the three hours I invested in being able to get into it.

Tony was a joy to behold as always, and shared some insightful thoughts on what influenced him on his rise from a schoolboy Disney 'geek' to creative history with WED / WDI.
He even humbly noted his self confessed stubbornness in certain areas when it comes to what he feels is right.
There is a very strong sense in him that he feels comes to the fore in trying to 'do good' for the people.
Walt Disney himself also had this trait.

I have to add that this venture, which I have called 'TonyFest 2015' has a lot going on behind the curtain.
There has been some wonderful and amazing happenings that have made this experience unique and utterly jaw dropping for a big Baxter fan such as myself.
May this continue!

-

I'm glad that you got to see the panel that you wanted to see. If I had gone that would have been the one I would have wanted to see too. I've got my fingers crossed that you'll meet Tony face to face this time and get a great picture together!

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Thank you for saying that.
Means a lot, as I would dearly love that to happen.
Tony and his works mean a lot to me, and his story has inspired me for many years.

I feel confident that we may well meet tomorrow as he is doing a autograph session at the Expo and I will definitely be there.
And I will not be coming empty handed.
I have a special gift for him I made in honor of his 50th Anniversary.
Time to give back to someone who has given me so much in return.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Still here at the Expo, day 2, and just visited the Dream Store as there was a very short line.
Thought I would just take a quick look and a CM there saw my shirt and told me Tony was just there a couple a moments ago.

Yet again I miss him ...but there is still tomorrow's session.
Must keep wandering around, maybe I will find him.

-

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Currently waiting in line at the Expo for Tony's signing session.

Very relieved I made it, as I had to arrive early and I am physically drained from the last two days of heat and activities.
It will totally be worth the effort.....I have been hoping for this moment for a long time.

I will be presenting him with a special handmade card I created in honor of his 50th Annivery.
Looking forward to the interaction.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
I think the experience is still sinking in....there were some memorable moments.
The forthcoming photos speak volumes and will help me relive the moment and tell the story.

I'm still in a elated state....but it is difficult to put everything that happened into mere words.
Perhaps it will be best to let the pictures do the talking when the time comes.
It's been quite a day. Must rest now, and savor the moment.

"TonyFest 2015" has indeed been epicness deluxe!

-

I think the experience is still sinking in....there were some memorable moments.
The forthcoming photos speak volumes and will help me relive the moment and tell the story.

I'm still in a elated state....but it is difficult to put everything that happened into mere words.
Perhaps it will be best to let the pictures do the talking when the time comes.
It's been quite a day. Must rest now, and savor the moment.

"TonyFest 2015" has indeed been epicness deluxe!

-

Really looking forward to hearing the details of your story! Tony is a great guy and I'm so glad you were able to meet him. Again, glad you had a great time and looking forward to hearing all about it.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Thank you both.
When I am able I will tell the tale.

I met some interesting fans in the line waiting for his session.
All were big Baxter fans so we got along rather well.
They liked my artwork...and they wanted my Fan Club pin.
You should have seen their faces when I showed them my custom made Tony Baxter Disney Gift Card!

One of them told me this amazing story of the time her then eight year old son wrote to Tony via WDI and told him he would like to visit one day.
A month later, she receives a letter from Tony's secretary at WDI saying that a 'take your kids to work' day was coming up and that Tony would like to know if her son would be interested it coming to work with him for the day on Flower Street!
So when the day came, her son gets out of school for the day and they both drive over to WDI and Tony lets him have a very memorable time there.

Her son is now in his 20s, so this happened some time ago, but one thing that is still present today - Tony's willingness to go the extra mile to make a magical moment for someone.

What a great story!

Last edited:

prberk

Well, @Figments Friend , I am finally at home. I, like you, was drained by this experience. Despite my other posts on this board about the bad experience in the line outside the first day (which set the stage for being drained the rest of the time), I did have some good experiences; and one of them was getting to meet you for the short time on Sunday. It is fun to meet someone from the forums. Only wish we had all had more time to hang out a little. As you and others here have mentioned, it took real determination and long lines throughout the experience to get to do even a few things -- and that day was no different. [Figment's Friend was waiting in a long line for Mickey's of Glendale, which I never actually gave up three hours of my time to experience.]

Anyway, it was very nice to meet another true Disney fan, and I wish you all the best!

I was a little surprised, despite its reported lack of success, not to find ANY "Tomorrowland" (the movie) stuff or CoP things at the Expo, but especially to find NO pins for it on sale at the park, especially in Tomorrowland itself. I tried to buy one on the last day but could not find one anywhere. They said that they had had some when the movie came out, but only had a few and have not had any for a couple of months now. So, it was like the movie never existed.

I did get to see the Shanghai exhibit, and it was impressive. Seems interesting.

The only stage event I got to see was the Destination D rewind event, in which Dave Smith showed pics of the development of Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom and hotels. It was fun to hear from Dave.

I am glad you finally got to meet Tony Baxter. I look forward to hearing more about it.

Paul

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Well, @Figments Friend , I am finally at home. I, like you, was drained by this experience. Despite my other posts on this board about the bad experience in the line outside the first day (which set the stage for being drained the rest of the time), I did have some good experiences; and one of them was getting to meet you for the short time on Sunday. It is fun to meet someone from the forums. Only wish we had all had more time to hang out a little. As you and others here have mentioned, it took real determination and long lines throughout the experience to get to do even a few things -- and that day was no different. [Figment's Friend was waiting in a long line for Mickey's of Glendale, which I never actually gave up three hours of my time to experience.]

Anyway, it was very nice to meet another true Disney fan, and I wish you all the best!

I was a little surprised, despite its reported lack of success, not to find ANY "Tomorrowland" (the movie) stuff or CoP things at the Expo, but especially to find NO pins for it on sale at the park, especially in Tomorrowland itself. I tried to buy one on the last day but could not find one anywhere. They said that they had had some when the movie came out, but only had a few and have had any for a couple of months now. So, it was like he movie never existed.

I did get to see the Shanghai exhibit, and it was impressive. Seems interesting.

The only stage event I got to see was the Destination D rewind event, in which Dave Smith showed pics of the development of Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom and hotels. It was fun to hear from Dave.

I am glad you finally got to meet Tony Baxter. I look forward to hearing more about it.

Paul

While I didn't go to the Expo, we were in Disneyland a week before it, we were also disappointed that there were no Tomorrowland pins or anything representing the movie for sale. Hubby said a few times how he really wanted a Tomorrowland pin (and he is not a big pin buyer) and there were none for sale.

Also @Figments Friend I'm anxiously awaiting your tale of your Tony Baxter meeting!

George Lucas on a Bench

http://micechat.com/108810-tony-baxter-harry-potter/

Have you heard this?

The Season Pass Podcast returns to the Baxter residence for another deep conversation on Themed Entertainment with Disney Legend and Imagineering Genius, Tony Baxter. Tony discusses the back story of many great Disney Park attractions (Phantom Manor, Haunted Mansion, New Orleans Square, the Disney Studios Parks, Fantasy Faire, etc.), but also dives deep into Universal Studios Florida’s amazing Wizarding World of Harry Potter: Diagon Alley. Tony also explains why it’s important to design an attraction for the 20th ride–not the first, the arithmetic to use when creating a “Magical Experience,” and dissects the decision of converting Maelstrom into Frozen. Get ready for a very educational and thought-provoking journey into the design of immersive theme parks, attractions, and environments.

Figments Friend

Original Poster

I was a little surprised, despite its reported lack of success, not to find ANY "Tomorrowland" (the movie) stuff or CoP things at the Expo, but especially to find NO pins for it on sale at the park, especially in Tomorrowland itself. I tried to buy one on the last day but could not find one anywhere. They said that they had had some when the movie came out, but only had a few and have not had any for a couple of months now. So, it was like the movie never existed.

Paul

Thanks Paul, and it was indeed nice to meet up with you and your friends!
Although only for a brief few moments, it was memorable and enjoyable.

That was the second time i had waited in line to visit MOG when you found me, as i had been in the day before with little wait.
I guess i was just lucky, as i only waited a short time.
After the visit, i had second thoughts about a couple of the pin designs so i decided to re-visit the next day and purchase them if they were still there.
That was when i had to wait in that massive line....was it really 3 hours..?
Did'nt feel like it.
I think my brain was in another dimension after talking with Tony so i lost all concept of time after that experience.
One of the pins i had decided to purchase was gone, but i still enjoyed going in again.
Ended up finding a nice WED shirt i had missed the day before, so one loss turned into another gain.

Yes, i agree that the experience Friday morning was less then stellar.
By the time attendees could actually get in ( 11:30 i was in ) the stifling heat and brutal sun exposure from waiting so long outside took it's toll.
I felt like i had already been there for three days by the time i was in, and was a bit overwhelmed despite my extensive research and mental preparation for what was to come.
I snapped some photos of the chaos outside, so at some point i will share them here and people can see what a REAL Expo experience is like from a Guest standpoint.
These are photos you will not see in any of the marketing materials....trust me...!

Of the three Expo days i experienced, Friday was not the favorite one.
It was a combination of the poor experience getting in, to being drained by the hot weather, to the utter feeding frenzy scene i beheld just to get the free giveaways and schedule booklet.
You would have thought they were giving money away seeing how the crowd behaved just to snap up the goodies.
Part of the craziness was due to people snapping up several booklets to score the free trading cards that were contained in each one.
I will admit, i took a few to give to friends back home...but swiped the cards for myself.

After that, it was waiting in a loooonnng line to secure a StagePass for the ONE panel i really wanted to experience - the 'Imagineering 60 Years of Disneyland'.
That was a little stressful, as there is no guarantee you will get anything once you reach the front of the line.
It was my 'must see' of the whole Event...besides seeing Tony of course.....and i waited almost an hour and a half, maybe two hours.
The rest of the day was kind of a blur.
I couldn't really relax as i was already a little fatigued from what my experience had been so far...and i was on the lookout for Mr. Baxter, hoping to spot him in the crowd and have a chance encounter.
I kind of breezed by several displays and Pavilions.....i was having a hard time focusing on anything so i just took a break over at the D23 Lounge that was set up on the Showfloor for us commoners.

After a little break to collect myself, i wandered around a little and viewed the collectibles booths.
I was surprised to see little of real interest...but i am sure most of the 'good stuff' was scooped hours before i had passed by.
It was amusing to see things i had in my collection, and what they were attempting to sell them for.

When the time came for the Imagineering panel, the day turned brighter.
It was a great experience and although i wished i had sat much closer it was a joy to see all the people involved in the panel and hear there stories.
Of course Tony was the favorite, and i wish they had let him talk more.
When he opened his mouth, you could sense the room was on the edge of it's seats and a hush fell over the audience.
Marty too, commanded a great respect from the audience, and folks cheered for Richard Sherman.
It was a nice way to spend a afternoon.
Photos ( although blurred...) shall be forthcoming.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

To quote a famous Baxterattraction -

"Glittering Gold....it is yours...!"

Yes friends, a golden gift worth more then any physical treasure was bestowed on this traveler who chased down a dream in the desert.
But i am getting ahead of the story.....

"TonyFest 2015" was indeed the 'epic awesomeness' i was so hoping for.....and the tale is about to be told.

Hang on to them hats and glasses, cuz' this here's gonna be the wildest ride in 'Baxterland' yet...!

Two trains, two tracks.....yee haw...!

-

Figments Friend

Original Poster
While I didn't go to the Expo, we were in Disneyland a week before it, we were also disappointed that there were no Tomorrowland pins or anything representing the movie for sale. Hubby said a few times how he really wanted a Tomorrowland pin (and he is not a big pin buyer) and there were none for sale.

Also @Figments Friend I'm anxiously awaiting your tale of your Tony Baxter meeting!

Thank you...it's coming!
I have to upload photos and i'm also using the photos to help remember the whirlwind experience.
Tony said some humorous things...and even a bittersweet comment.
It will not be too long a wait.

Regarding the 'Tomorrowland' pins - they are definitely in demand!
I wore one of my smaller ones while in the Parks and at the Expo this visit and i had several people stop me to ask where i had found it.
They had been looking for them in the pin shops but found nothing.

It's my understanding that the official 'Pin Trading' versions were only out for a short time in the Parks before the films release.
These are quite large...larger then the versions used in the movie, and all were the 'blue' variant.
A smaller 'orange' variant was given away to attendees of the World Premier at Disneyland two weeks before national release.
On Opening Weekend, Regal Cinemas gave away free 'orange' variant pins as well as neat cardstock 'E Tickets'.
A licensing company called 'Funko' makes the best 'Tomorrowland' pins...in both styles....and can be found in comic shops.
I bought several, all off of eBay from comic houses. They run from about $12 to $18 depending on style and variant.

Here is the 'freebie' that was given away opening weekend around the country at certain theaters -

'E-Ticket' promotional card -

It's nice to know the 'Tomorrowland' film has a fan following ( i loved the film, by the way...) and fans are seeking out these neat little keepsakes.
When i went to take my ride on 'It's A Small World', the CM noticed what i was wearing and said 'Ah..i see you are wearing your pin...( wink )"
Made me feel like a member of Plus Ultra already !
I'm such a geek....i really did get a buzz riding in the boat with my pin on and passing by the Eiffel Tower...hoping a laser beam would shoot out of the top of it and i would get to take another type of ride..!

That reminds me a photo.....
To keep this in theme with Mr. Baxter, here is a photo of him at the World Premiere for the 'Tomorrowland' film back in May at the Disneyland Resort.
The previous time i was visiting Disneyland back in early May i missed this...and him yet again.
The Premiere happened six days after i left..and i missed Tony yet again.

Not THIS TIME , however !
:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom