The fabulous 'Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland' - a venture

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

So the anxiety is settling in now...
With only 12 days to go before the start of what could either be the 'Greatest Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland' EVER, or.........well....
........maybe not-so-great.

The slow impending possibilities for amazing things to happen, partnered with the encroaching realization that i could be heading for a few disappointments has my head abuzz.
Yeah...those uncertainties everyone experiences during such moments.

I'm excited to attend my first Expo...but i sure have read a lot about it over the years.
The good, the bad, and the really ugly.
I have tried my best to prepare myself for what might be coming.
I've tried to keep it in perspective, and be realistic about my expectations as far as my chances to see the things i wish to.

It will be insanely crowded...both at the D23 Expo and the Parks.
That has a tendency to make things......interesting.
One of the main reasons i was questioning attending was for those reasons.
But i wanted to roll the dice....and take a chance on chasing a dream.
It's happening....

While i have already accepted there is a lot i will likely not get to experience and there will be much to take in....there is of course the thrill of possibilities yet to be even imagined.
So at the moment, this is a strange time.

Should be thrilled....feel apprehensive.
Excited at the prospects....slightly wary of possible outcomes.

Sure, i'll have a good time regardless. Always do.
Every visit to Happy Anaheim is always unique and has it's own special moments.
With 52,000+ people showing up for this Expo, i'm expecting some rather 'interesting' moments to take place.

We shall see.....
I'll be sure to take lots of photos.
:)

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
So back on the positive track...

It's Tony's 'Golden Summer' this year, and this pin i have had since 2005 has now suddenly taken on new meaning.
While most will likely associate it with Disneyland's 50th, for me this one is a rather fitting design in honor of Mr. Baxter's 50th Anniversary being involved with the Disney organization.

Particularly fitting is the alternative slogan - 'Happiest Celebration on Earth' instead of the typical 'Happiest Homecoming On Earth' used for DL's 50th.
The reason for the difference is THIS version was sold at Walt Disney World.
Makes it all the more fitting.

I will certainly be wearing this one on my hat during this venture....in honor of my favorite 'idea guy' !

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Came across this recent article about *Discovery Bay* that is worth sharing here as it is a well written, and for the most part, a accurate telling of the story behind Tony Baxter*s brilliant concept that still captures the imaginations of Park fans 40 years and counting.

Here you will get a good overview of how it came to be, why it did*nt come to be, and where bits and pieces of it DID eventually come to be.
I*ve talked about these topics here previously, but it*s a neat compact article that covers all of that nicely.

Contains some nice concept art for various projects related to the story, some of it familiar to regular readers of this thread.

Well worth a read !

http://www.themeparktourist.com/fea...ventive-tale-disneylands-astounding-lost-land

-

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

One week to go before the start of the D23 Expo.
What wonders lie ahead...?

Here are some more doodles i drew recently expressing the excitement i hope to find as a old-school 'WED-head'.....and the flip side of the coin of possible 'realities' i hope will be minimal !

The 'fantasy' of excitement i hope to experience.....

And the 'reality' i hope to avoid......

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Let's get this Golden Celebration off to a appropriate start .....with a week+ long party where it all began.
'Baxterland' look out....this week and a half is going to be something special !

Happy Fiftieth Anniversary to my favorite 'idea guy'!

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Did you see The Season Pass Podcast has put up part 5 of a Tony Baxter interview ? It is episode 307 I believe

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Did you see The Season Pass Podcast has put up part 5 of a Tony Baxter interview ? It is episode 307 I believe

Oh lovely. Is this a recent addition..?
I have listened to their other Tony related interviews over the past couple of years and have enjoyed them.
I'm not really a 'podcast' fan, but i do so enjoying listening to Tony talk about things.
I think the reason i like the Season Pass episodes is they just let him talk...for a long time...and let him keep talking about whatever he feels like.

He always has interesting and insightful things to say about any given topic.
Always entertaining and enjoyable.

Hope i get to see him do so in person at the D23 Expo this weekend!

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
It was released 8/7 but not sure exactly when it was recorded, sounds like sometime after the TEA stuff, its also recorded at his home, I have only listened to part of it but it is a very good listen.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
It was released 8/7 but not sure exactly when it was recorded, sounds like sometime after the TEA stuff, its also recorded at his home, I have only listened to part of it but it is a very good listen.

Ah, that sounds familiar.
I have listened to that particular batch of episodes....all recorded at his home.
Nice to know they are continuing that long conversation they had recorded, as the last episode my impression was it was the conclusion.
I shall have to check it out.
Always enjoy hearing Tony talk!

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Wow....something majorly cool happened earlier today that has me both thrilled and excited.

As a big fan of Tony's, this was a wonderful surprise that was unexpected, but so very welcome.....and the day before i leave for an epic time at 'TonyFest 2015'!
Just beside myself at the moment.

Let's just say i am now so elated that i won't need a airplane to fly into Anaheim tomorrow!

:D

-

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Well it is GO time baby....
Time to make the 3,000+ mile trek from coast to coast to experience what will hopefully be the most epic adventure yet!

It does not look that far...looking at this.....

But then again....
Maybe it does.

"TonyFest 2015" started early....today has been amazing day and i am not even in Anaheim yet!
That changes tomorrow....and i can't even begin to imagine what might lie ahead after today's happenings.
All i can say at this point is i feel like i am on the brink of something of life-changing proportions.

Maybe i am just geeking out...or it was that strawberry Kool-Aid i had with my meal, but what a prelude the day before the venture!
The future is looking bright, and that is not just my 'Tomorrowland' pin reflecting light back into my eyes.
No sir, this is something special.

So here's to that forthcoming future, and the Golden opportunities i hope to find and experience.

'New Horizons' indeed.
Bring me that horizon....

-

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

Have you seen/heard this? According to Baxter, it was his idea to put the Hatbox Ghost in the spot the new version currently resides to distract you from seeing the ceiling as you enter the graveyard.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Thank you for that, Endor
I had heard about his recent appearance at the Scare L.A. Event but had not seen any video of the panel.

Nice to see that Tony's advice is being taken....after all, he is now Creative Advisor to WDI.
Hope they listen to more of his advice!

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Well I made it...
Happy to say that I am back in 'Baxterland' now...and my what a beautiful sunset greeted me as I took my first stroll around the area after arriving yesterday afternoon.

It has been a incredible start to 'TonyFest 2015' and I feel lucky to be here.
Took some chances, had some doubts, now that commitment is bringing a harvest of bounty.
Bring it on !

Lots of interaction with people already just during the trek to get here....so it will be interesting to see what happens in the Park today.
Off for an adventure now....feeling like a certain favored archeologist, Dr. Jones.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom