The fabulous 'Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland' - a venture

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

So let us begin this edition of the *Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland* where we all begin once entering the Park.
It is where you leave today and enter ...well, you folks already know the rest.
;)

The view one fine afternoon from the front seat of the Main Street Omnibus to set the scene ...

A eager visitor to this world of enchantment in full *Baxterland* regalia about to motor forth in said front seat to adventures beyond, camera at the ready !

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Main Street USA is not just where our day begins in the Park, or where this particular chapter of this story begins this time around.
As any fan of Tony Baxter will probably already know, this is where Tony himself began his journey.
Fifty years ago this Summer, if i am remembering correctly, is when he started his career with the Disney organization....right here on Main Street.
It*s a great story.

It all started one fine afternoon in the Summer of 65* when a young Mr. Baxter decided to visit the Park and check out the newest Attraction ...freshly installed after it*s impressive stint at the 1964-1965 New York World*s Fair.
One of Walt*s personal favorites, and something he was quite proud of, Tony was very eager to see this newest wonder for himself.
I am of course talking about *Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln* at the Main Street Opera House.

As the story goes, Tony was absolutely blown away by what he saw during the presentation.
You have to remember that back then, in the mid-1960s Audio-Animatronics technology was all new and seeing a human figure so lifelike in action was indeed simply astonishing.
Tony was so impressed by what he saw that fine Summer afternoon that right then and there he decided he wanted to be a part of all of this.
He HAD to work for Mr. Disney*s company.

Legend tells that he immediately walked down to the then-Casting office on Harbor Blvd. and applied for a job at Disneyland.
Anything...just to get in the door.
A few days later he began as a Cast Member on Main Street USA, at the Carnation Plaza Gardens ( now converted over to the Fantasy Faire area ).
The rest, as they say, is history.

Why do i bring this all up...

Well, i had the pleasure of discovering this reproduction of the original Attraction poster for that original presentation while wandering around in the exit area of the Opera House after a showing.
How i missed this other times i visited, i have no idea....perhaps the Walt painting across from it was drawing my attention.
This visit however i saw this, and of course immediately thought of Tony and his story of his beginnings.
So a new find for me this visit...and quite timely considering this Summer marks his 50th !

The poster, located to your left right before you exit the Opera House to the street outside -

A description underneath -

To think that it was THIS original Show that inspired Tony to finally make that leap from just being a admiring fan on the outside *looking in*, to being motivated to take the next step and become actively involved in this creative organization i find a inspiring tale.
It*s one of those destiny changing moments you can look back on and wonder how differently things would have been if a alternative path had been taken.
How very different indeed the Disney Theme Parks would be today if a certain teenager had never seen this Show!

So every time i see the presentation with Mr. Lincoln i think of my favorite *idea guy* and his wonderful story.
Finding this poster is just yet another reminder, and when i visit in the future, this too will also now be a nice little reminder.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Since we are on the topic of Mr. Baxter's beginnings on Main Street USA, this familiar sight to regular Park visitors even has a connection to his past -

The famous red Popcorn Cart in the Hub was once where a teenaged Tony scooped popcorn to passing Guests....when he was not busy scooping ice cream at the now-defunct Carnation Plaza Gardens ice cream shop.
Every time i pass this cart, i think about this...and i am reminded of this photo below of a young Tony Baxter standing in front of said cart all those years ago.

The painted designs on the cart may have changed over the years, but you can still spot that lace-like, decorative edge on the top roof -

Behind the cart in the above photo is one of the olive trees that used to be in the Hub that was transplanted to Tony's home some years ago.
I've touched on that story a few times here already in the past, so will assume most here are already aware of the tale.
A few of the original trees remain today, and here is a snapshot i took while passing though one afternoon recently -

It is fun to look at these remaining trees and know where their relatives are currently residing....happily continuing to grow, just a little distance away at Baxter Manor, twinkle lights intact !
:)

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

With all this reminiscing about Main Street's 'Baxter Past' , perhaps the time has come to move onto the present.
How about a visit to another spot that is always a 'must do' every time i am in town....a visit to the Disney Gallery on Main Street.

Located right next to the Opera House where Mr. Lincoln regularly gives his speeches, there is always a interesting and colorful collection of artwork and sculptures on display here.
Always worth a look....just to see what is currently being displayed.

Here are a few pieces i liked that are themed prefectly for a 'Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland' -

This neat design is part artwork, part dimensional paper sculpture.
Far more impressive in person then in this reflective photo...but wonderful to get lost in none the less.
How many famous 'Baxterattractions' can you spot in this one image...?

There were some fine pieces related to 'Tony's Mountain' ( aka Big Thunder Mountain Railroad ) this visit...and here are a pair that were on display that caught my eye -

Here is a panoramic piece showcasing a scene of the weathered buttes, with quail in the foreground admiring the scenery -

Also among some designs made to look like weathered Park signage was this, featuring the famous 'Dynamite Goat' from BTMR -

And of course....we have to include a cool 'steampunk' styled piece to round out this themed collection.
Here is 'Steampunk Willie' ...ready to take you off on a enticing adventure to destinations elsewhere -

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Since we are on the topic of artwork, here is something i noticed some years ago but recently wondered who else might be aware of it.

The hidden piece of the ol' WED Enterprises logo in Rolly Crump's famous 'Tower of The Four Winds' -

For those not familiar with this whimsical creation, the Tower was a giant kinetic sculpture that stood at the entrance to the original 'It's A Small World' Attraction at the 1964/1965 New York Worlds Fair.

Here is a photo from that time period, showing the fabulous Tower in all it's colorful glory at the Fair.

This well known art design shown below is a simplified visual representation of the Tower, but with one little hidden detail for sharp-eyed WED fans.
Here is the full image...

....and now a close up, revealing the stylized 'D' from the WED Enterprises logo from back in the day disguised as a flag atop the Tower !

This pin shows the WED lettering...including the 'D' ....for reference.
Quite a clever little addition, beating the 'Hidden Mickey' phenomenon by 30+ years !

Figments Friend

Original Poster
The WED pin above reminds me of some fun stories from this most recent visit, as i wore this small pin on my hat as i toured about and it sparked off some fun Cast interactions.

In the past i have always been mistaken for a Cast Member by Guests several times during any given visit, regardless of what i seem to wear or who i may be with.
This has been a real puzzle to me over the years, as i don't purposely dress to look like one...and it would even happen the few rare times i was with other people as a group.
Even on my very first visit to Disneyland, i was standing with a group of friends and a random Guest with his family in tow walked right up to me ...passing through my friends who were gathered around..... to ask me where the closest restroom was!

What was it that caused this confusion every visit...i would wonder....

Non-tourist look ?
Being alone ?
Not weighed down with bags ?
Not running around like a maniac ?
Seem to 'know what they are doing' ?
No offspring in tow ?
Destiny calling ....?

Still a puzzle...

THIS visit however, i finally seemed to have beaten that...and was not mistaken for a Cast Member even once by Guests.
Whew....
However ,this time around i was instead mistaken for a being Imagineer...four times...by Cast Members!
What...?

Some examples -

Went over to one of my favorite spots for a light meal at Cafe Orleans.
Three Cast Members greet me at the front door, one of which was a older gentlemen.
He spots the small WED pin on my straw hat, and immediately strikes up a conversation about the time he had the opportunity to visit WED back in the early 1980s and see the massive EPCOT Center model they had spread out in one of the buildings at that time.
This was a absolutely HUGE model shown in many photos from back when the Park was being developed.

Photo example -

Being a long time Classic Imagineering fan ( 'WED-head" i refer to myself as...) and total EPCOT Center geek i knew just what he was talking about.
Then he started going on about how he was also able to visit MAPO back then too, which again, being versed in old-school Imagineering i knew exactly what he was talking about.

MAPO was Disney's manufacturing division that at it's most basic, built and fabricated everything WED designed....everything from Audio-Animatronics to Show Set pieces, to the systems that housed and operated them.
The name comes from 'MAry POpins', and you can see that reflected in their logo -

So i am guessing that due to me being aware of these things, particularly MAPO, this particular CM was convinced i was a Imagineer ( or had been one back in the day ) even though i of course denied it.
When i walked away with one of the CMs to be seated, i heard him say to the other person standing next to him as i departed " yeah, she is one of em'..."
Uber-geek fan...or Ex-Imagineer...i know not what he meant...but it was a entertaining way to start a late afternoon lunch.

The Cast Member who seated me seemed to believe the Ex-Imagineer angle, as she excitedly started to ask me what projects i had worked on.
Of course i had to say 'none yet!'....and the topic then turned to Tony Baxter's various projects ( we had chatted about him earlier...).
Quite a time.
Cafe Orleans always seems to be a 'hot spot' for interesting interactions.
Gotta love that 'Tony Baxter Fan Club' pinback....really gets people talking.

The other times i was mistaken for a Imagineer this visit was by my new acquaintance i met at Splash Mountain while standing in the Single Rider line....the gent i mentioned earlier who worked with Tony on a project in the past, as well as several other projects for WDI.
He thought i was one too...which of course i confessed i was just a fan.
That led to some good discussion and the sharing of some vibrant art images of his.
That experience was one of the highlights of this chapter, for sure.

The other times were in retail shops on property...the most memorable being at World of Disney.
I passed through to check out the recently expanded and remodeled Gallery section of the store, where they showcase similar items to the Disney Gallery on Main Street.
The place looks nice now...with much more room to display and view the art prints and sculpted pieces which i liked.
While browsing, a Cast Member spotted my 'Baxterland' t-shirt and approached to start up a friendly conversation about Tony Baxter.
He asked me some things i was really not in the position to answer ( he assumed i was a close friend of Tony's , apparently..) and wanted to know how he was doing and if he is well.
There was a look of concern on his face when he asked me these questions.
I of course had to note that i did not know Tony personally, and i was simply just someone who admires him and his many marvelous works.
I will admit that seeing the concern in his face made me concerned myself for Tony's well being.

He liked my 'Fan Club' pin , and wanted to know where i had found it.
Once i told him it was something i made to wear to the Park, he called over his manager to take a look at it, almost gushing to him about how cool it was this person had designed and made this pin.
His manager thought it was neat and commented on what a nice guy Tony was.

Indeed, that he is.
That i can answer a absolute 'YES' to, from personal long-distance experience !
:D

Edit : Just came across this...a old pass given to visitors to the campus back in the day.
Maybe i should wear it next time i am in town to avoid any confusion?

Just kidding....

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Talking about Cafe Orleans makes me think of New Orleans Square, which reminds me of this little hidden gem i discovered this visit.

The upper level of one of the tenements that you can actually ascend and spend some quiet time, high above the crowds below.

What a great spot to watch the trains coming into the New Orleans Square station, or just people watch below.
It's also a swell spot for enjoying a chilled minty beverage from the Mint Julep Bar...all in the privacy of your own upper balcony away from the masses!

I have walked by this place several times in the past, but not until now did i realize the stairs are actually open to Guests and one can climb up to the upper level.
A neat little surprise i enjoyed one warm afternoon.

The view from here is nice...makes you want to stay a while and sip your minty beverage a little slower.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Before i completely move on from Main Street, and the nostalgia connected to it in relation to Mr. Baxter's upcoming 50th Disney Anniversary, i had to share these -

A close look at a super detailed model of the old Carnation Plaza Gardens...back in the day.
How cool is this..it even lights up !

Another view -

With that aside, let us now move on to realms beyond this gateway.....

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Here in Fantasyland, you just never know what you will find if you pay attention to your surroundings.
As i have raved previously here already in the past, this area is gorgeously designed and has a lot of pleasant 'eye candy' to behold.
It is wonderful to just spend some time here looking up at all the intricately detailed building facades and soaking in the atmospheric setting.

Something i missed on previous visits was this little fun bit of propping in the upper window above the queue for 'Peter Pan's Flight'.
Even though the Attraction was closed this time around for a refurbishment and retooling, it still yielded some delights from afar for sharp eyed visitors.

Toys in the upstairs nursery -

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

One of my favorite Attractions in Fantasyland is 'Mr. Toad's Wild Ride'.
How can one not enjoy spending a few minutes careening about to 'Nowhere in Particular' , and after such reckless behavior, end up in Hades?

I absolutely love the design of Toad Hall and the grounds surrounding it...just packed full of little details.
I've raved about it before, but even now i am still finding new things to enjoy.....
...like this fabulous light fixture located outside to the right as you exit.

Yes, i am a detail freak.
I can get excited about a light fixture!

Something else i enjoy is the Toad cars themselves.
So comfy to sit in.
No wonder Mr. Baxter has one of the originals in his living room!

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

And now, let us visit Sleeping Beauty Castle, from a slightly different perspective....

Every visit usually has a couple of *photo safari* moments....areas or special items i purposely go looking for to photograph because i learned a story behind it and it now has some personal meaning.
These usually have to do with something related to Tony, particularly things of interest he has talked about in various presentations and interviews where he reveals a insightful story.
One can really gain a LOT of insight into all kinds of things if one takes the time to listen to what he openly tells you.
He is the *key* that unlocks the door to the hidden wonders of a much wider world.

During this most recent venture, my *photo goal* this time was inside the Castle walls....deep in the gothic darkness and within the delightful visions present there in the form of the charming *Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough*

A few months ago i learned something new about this marvelous display while listening to a recent insightful interview of Tony*s.
He told a great little story about the creation of one of the scenes there and after hearing it i knew i had to go back and see the particular scene again.

Perhaps something only a Tony Baxter fan would get excited about, but i love hearing the little stories about how things came to be.
It adds a entirely new dimension to something and makes you realize that it is individual people, with their own stories, who *make the magic happen* and not just some faceless Corporate conglomerate.

First, before i tell the tale, a scene setting photo showing a view of the back of the Castle where the entrance to the Walkthrough is located.
Notice the ray of light that seems to be shining down upon the bronze statue of Princess Aurora and Prince Phillip.
I noticed this several days later when going through my pictures and found it to be kind of neat.
A little magical touch slipped in by Mother Nature -

And now, the story -

Once upon a time, the *Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough* was closed to all Guests.
In the post 9-11 security concerns gripping the nation at the time, it was decided to close this interior walk-through Attraction inside a well known, iconic structure.
There it sat, gathering dust and cobwebs, until some years later a key clicked a stubborn lock and a door creaked slowly open....

One day, Tony was talking to someone in the Parks division inquiring about possibly re-opening the Walkthrough.
The topic then turned to getting inside the Castle and seeing what was still there.
Were the scenes still mostly intact and presentable?
What condition was the hallways and staircases in for Guest use?

Later in the day, the two of them took a tour through the area to see what condition it was currently in.
They talked among themselves, and it was suggested that re-opening the Walkthrough would be a marvelous way to promote the upcoming 50th Anniversary Dvd release of the animated classic *Sleeping Beauty* which was scheduled for upcoming release.

So Tony was tasked to begin work on restoring the Walkthrough displays which he took to heart, as *Sleeping Beauty* is a favorite film of his and he rather liked the clever dioramas.
The catch, however, was that he had to have it ready to re-open in time for the upcoming Dvd release....which was coming up soon. Quite soon.
This meant that Tony and the small team that was gathered had little time and an even littler budget to complete the task....always a challenging way to work on a project.

The challenge was excepted, and work proceeded in earnest.
All of the diorama scenes were restored, and in some cases improved with additional effects or lighting.
Some needed a little *plussing* in Tony*s eyes...and here is one example -

See those roses in the final diorama scene above....?
This is the last window, where Prince Phillip is shown kissing Aurora and magical effects take place as she *awakens* from her sleep.

The story goes that while this particular window display was being placed back into it*s setting, the roses that were to fill the front area were too few and far between.
It looked too sparse and it was decided that a fuller appearance with more roses and more variety would look better.
So guess who took it upon himself to make sure that happened....
Yep.

Hopped in his car and drove down a few blocks to the local *Michael*s* ( a national chain of craft and hobby shops ) and proceeded to purchase every white silk rose in the place.
Bags full of fabric flowers in hand, he returns to the setting and the final window gets the fuller *bed of roses*.....and they all lived Happily Ever After.

So the next time you walk through the *Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough*, be sure to stop for a moment and admire *Tony*s Roses*.
They represent more then just a simple scene *plussing*....well, to me anyway.
They are a reminder of the difference someone who goes the extra step can make.
Sure, it might seem to be something small to some eyes..... but in the end it*s all those *small things* that end up making the biggest differences.

I should add that these roses really need to be seen under the Show lighting present in the actual scene.
It is a lovely effect.
This flash-photo was the only way to capture them in a picture that would help share a fun story during this chapter of the *Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyand*
Go see the *Walkthrough* for yourself if you have yet to....it is a nice experience.

I should also note that if you do not already own it, you should get yourself a copy of the 50th Anniversary Dvd of *Sleeping Beauty* that came out a few years ago...for the marvelous bonus features.
There is a special segment dedicated to the history and restoration of the *Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough* hosted by Tony himself.
Highly recommended viewing!

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Another 'photo safari' goal was to finally photograph those themed 'Royal Thrones' i had spotted a year ago while passing through this walkway from Fantasy Faire to Fantasyland.

As this photo shows, when one walks through this corridor there are gothic windows containing a neat little display -

Folks who have been reading this thread from the start may recall i mentioned this during my 2nd Tour, but photos always get the point across better then a description in this case so here at last are some images.

Here is a view of the windows in the evening -

Like so many other areas of the Park, when you take the time to take a closer look, and you are almost always rewarded with some hidden gem.
If you gaze into these windows, you will find five themed 'Royal Thrones' ...one each for five famous Disney Princesses.

Can you guess who's is who's....?
Look closely at the accessories on each chair and it will offer some clues.

Three 'thrones' here ...

...and some additions here.

I love finding little themed details like this !
How many people walk by here and totally miss this....?

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Now dear friends, we depart Fantasyland and move over to Tomorrowland, where pointed spires beckon awaiting a rite of passage....

Spent a lot of time in Tomorrowland again this visit....one of the reasons being that i finally decided to conquer 'Space Mountain' after 35+ years of avoiding it out of fear.
I don't consider myself a 'coaster fan' by any stretch, but i absolutely love 'Big Thunder Mountain' and it's twists and turns, not to mention the incredibly themed setting!
For years people were telling me 'Space Mountain' was pretty much a similar experience, but i was quite uncertain and always shied away.
It was primarily because of it being a 'coaster in the dark' and feeling a bit intimidated by not being able to see what the track is going to do ahead.
So, yes...for all those years i would skip it.

Thing changed however....

During the first 'Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland' in September 2013, i 'conquered' my fear of the plunge into the Briar Patch on 'Splash Mountain' thanks to a certain 'idea guy' and a very fun photo shoot.

Remember this gem....?

Always loved the Attraction, but never really enjoyed the tense moments and experience in general of the 'big drop'.
Tony Baxter totally cured me of that fear.
Now whenever i ride, i cannot help but smile from ear to ear..remembering that fun photo shoot...and where that picture ended up going ....

The following year, during my next themed 'Tour', i took on the Matterhorn and experienced the Bobsleds for the very first time.
Really enjoyed that one...and must have rode it well over 15 times that day.
Again, a certain Imagineer was driving away the fears...as i HAD to experience this myself after hearing his great stories about his experiences riding in his youth.

Now this visit, it was time to finally 'break the sound barrier' and 'go for launch'....to take on the challenge and face my longtime fear of 'Space Mountain'.
It was GO time...and i felt like a real astronaut about to embark on a thrilling journey into the unknown.
Yeah, my imagination really does run away with me often...

So one of the highlights this Chapter was doing just that....getting to experience 'Space Mountain' for the first time.
After 35+ years visiting Walt Disney World, and 8 years now visiting Disneyland, i finally felt ready to do it.
It was awesome....and i loved it.
Rode it many times over the week-long period.

The queue was somewhat unusual to me...but hearing Bruce Gorden's famous 'Tomorrowland 2055' Theme pouring from the audio speakers as i first ascended the ramp to the upper levels was a very cool moment.... my forthcoming triumph being musically scored like a adventure film !

Yes, it was epic.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
A photo i snapped upon one of my return rides to *Space Mountain*....though this scene was a interesting angular composition of various straight shapes.

Still trying to properly capture the look of the beautiful lighting at Tomorrowland*s entrance in a photo.
I may not run with the crowd, and i am not shy about saying that i like this scene greeting my eyes when i enter the East Side.
Maybe i am just Baxter-bias....but i love it.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Before we depart Tomorrowland, i should include a fun little surprise that was in store for me over at the Magic Eye Theatre.
This most recent visit, a special non-3D twenty minute sneak preview of the highly anticipated *Tomorrowland* film was playing.
This is a film that looks really interesting in both concept, scope, and overall story potential.
I was looking forward to checking this preview out......

Before the actual Preview inside the theater, a 15 minute pre-show video plays outside on the various monitors lining the waiting area.
This video is a gem in itself, with some great retro footage of the New York World*s Fair, Uncle Walt himself taking you on a tour ( via models ) of the various Fair Attractions WED was developing, and some stellar concept art from the film.

The best part however for me was during that pre-show...around the eight minute mark, when a familiar voice suddenly sparks my attention.
I look over, and there before me is Tim O* Day in Tomorrowland.....!

Well, sort of....

Tim is well known in Disneyland circles and has hosted various special presentations over the years with Mr. Baxter himself.
The most recent being the fabulous in-Park presentations Tim and Tony did this past March related to the *Indiana Jones Adventure* 20th Anniversary.
Already being aware of these, imagine my surprise seeing him during this visit....and in the most unexpected of places!

After my first Preview showing, i went back and waited through another pre-show cycle so i could snap the above photo.
Upon returning home, i shared it with Tim and it was a nice surprise for him as he did not realize he was a part of the Preview!
So we both made each others day.

The film looks fabulous, and if nothing else has one of the coolest movie posters in recent years.
I think every futurist Disney fan will enjoy the little nods to the past.
A close up of some familiar looking details present in the poster -

And finally, i must include this.
Once again, i miss my chance to meet up with Tony at the Resort.
Six days after i leave, look who is present for the World Premiere of the *Tomorrowland* film!
Yes....the man of the hour, Disney Legend and Grand Mentor -

I really need to get my timing right, as after every visit during my four previous themed adventures it seems i find out later on that i missed seeing him.

One of these days the stars will aline, and at last we shall cross paths.
I so look forward to that day....in the future.
:happy:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Let us now move onto another area of the Park i find myself spending a lot of time in....'Frontierland'....and the all-time classic Baxterattraction, 'Big Thunder Mountain Railroad' ( lovingly referred to as 'Tony's Mountain' ).

Those beautifully shaped rock formations...that speedy little train with it's distinctive whistle from afar, and the screams of glee from hapless miners-to-be are always a welcome sight to me.

Ahh...it's wonderful to be back here..!

Well, what more can i say about 'Tony's Mountain' that i have not already covered here in previous chapters..?
LOTS !
Brace yourself, partners, for i have lots of photos to share on this topic yet again.

Anyone who has spent some time reading this thread over the last year or so is probably already aware of the fact that my enthusiasm for this Attraction knows no limits.
I love it for what it is, a marvelously themed experience, but i also cherish it for what it represents in regards to Tony's own personal journey.
It is so much more then just a Theme Park 'ride'....it was a major milestone in someone's life that was the key to a transitional phase that ended up being a wonderful career.

To quote Tony himself -
" I went into 'Big Thunder' as a kid in the model shop ( at WED ) and came out of it a designer.."

And here is a photo of that 'kid in the model shop' working on a early incarnation of that famous runaway mine train Attraction....

There are always new things to see and discover when passing through these parts...even though i did'nt get to book a room at the Panhandle Hotel yet again.
( More on that, later...)

I absolutely love this Attraction, and love the 'Original' here at Disneyland.
Oh sure, WDW's version is the version Tony originally envisioned...but there is something really special about the 'adapted version' that was first built here at the 'Happiest Place on Earth'.

'Tony's Mountain' always brings some memorable moments, and this visit was no different.
There were some things i set out to find that i had missed previous visits, or recently learned and needed to see with my own eyes.
This was one miner not looking for gold nuggets, but for the 'hidden gold' that is the many fun little details scattered about that truly mean something.

The first 'nugget' i wanted to find was this -
The original, first 'BTM' Logo used on the Attraction that was placed there by Pat Burke, one of the Imagineering greats who worked on this project.

Pat worked on all the other incarnations around the world of 'Big Thunder Mountain Railroad', and had a major influence on the propping and overall feel of the area.
He has worked on a lot more then that, and if you have a interest in learning more i highly recommend this great interview i have linked below.
A fabulous overview of his career, as well as a wonderful assortment of great photos throughout his years, including a pair of snapshots of the famous 'Burke' crate !

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2014/12/disney-and-more-tribute-to-wdi.html

Getting back to that 'original' bronze 'BTM' Logo now....

Here is a quote from Pat from the above interview to set the scene -

Pat Burke -
"We did also a logo for a bronze steam compressor head in the DL Big Thunder load building in 1978.
BTM in a circle was read as TWB which stood for Tony Wayne Baxter, Big Thunders Creator.
It read Big Thunder Iron Works. I believe it is used on each engine on their boilers as well.

As you come up the last stair to enter the DL load building, you will see the belt driven compressor right ahead of you which separates Left and Right loading lanes.
The dispatch office is just behind the compressor.
I used the BTM/TYB logo in casting the head plate on the compressor.
Trouble is sometimes operations will put a trash can in front of it, blocking your view of Tony Wayne Baxter's signature in bronze.
I think we have told the story so that they will try and keep it in view."
-

A photo now of this coveted, original piece -

( photo from' Ravenswood Manor' a website well worth checking out if you are a BTMR fan like me ! )

http://www.ravenswood-manor.com/btmmaking2.html

So after learning about all of this, i had to find this gem for myself.
I already knew the story about the 'BTM' Logo actually being a sly little nod to Mr. Baxter, but i did not know that the Logo applied to the compressor in the loading area was the 'first' one to appear.
Being a total 'Big Thunder Mountain' uber-fan, i needed to see it for myself...in person.

Although i did not snap any photos of it myself, i DID see it a couple of times...sadly hiding behind that trash container Pat laments about in the above quote !
Du'oh !
Wish that container could be elsewhere up there...(maybe on the other side of the Dispatch office..? ) as it is a bit out of theme and out of place in that environment.
The fact it blocks this gem is also a bit of a shame.

Still, nudging that trash can aside as i waiting there for my requested placement in Row #15 ( where every Tony Baxter Fan Club Member wants to sit on the train! ) i spied it...that fabulous aged bronze 'original' !
It was a lot larger then i thought it would be, but man..was it was cool to 'find' that after learning the real story about it.

Hang on to yer hats n' glasses....this here's just the tip of the peak when it comes to 'Big Thunder' coverage, ya'all....

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Some scenic view of the area that show off that fabulous rockwork....

The view from the bridge as one walks the Big Thunder Trail.
Always worth stopping here to enjoy not only the view with a waterfall and towering buttes, but also a fun spot to 'people watch' the passengers wizzing by on the runaway trains and zipping into the tunnel just across from you.

The rockwork tunnel through a 'mini Mountain' one gets to go through upon exiting the Attraction after a heart-pounding trek through the mine shafts and braving the stony peaks.

A pleasing view of the several to be seen on the Big Thunder Trail that meanders behind the famous Baxterattraction.
Upon closer inspection however, this particular spot has a wry bit of humor that can be found if one looks closely -

A closer view of that signage....trespassers beware, you shall be 'dealt with' !

Members of the 'Tony Baxter Fan Club' need not fear.....they are ALWAYS welcome at 'Tony's Mountan'!
A little 'private celebration' of it's maker one late afternoon...special party hats and streamers were a must.....

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Since i have already posted many photos of my adventures at Big Thunder Mountain over these various chapters of the venture, i will shift the focus over now to another aspect of this Attraction that i enjoy.....that amazing model in the lobby of the 'Frontierland' building over at the Disneyland Hotel.

I have not been back to see it since taking my very first 'Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland' in September of 2013.
That was a emotional but utterly marvelous experience, and seeing this model before departing the area was a great addition to a already memorable time.

This visit, i wanted to re-visit that little corner of the Property....so off i went one fine early afternoon when the place was deserted.
Everyone was in the Parks, and nobody was around so i could soak it in un-disturbed, photograph it from every possible angle, and totally get my geek on in private enjoying this stunning model.

I find it quite a challenge to photograph though...even this visit with a little more awareness of my tiny camera.
The large glass case protecting the model has the habit of reflecting everything ( and everyone ) around it..not to mention lighting issues and sometimes focusing issues.
I tried to capture it as best i could, but NOTHING compares to seeing this beauty UP CLOSE and in person.
Just WOW.
The detailing is incredible and the scale of this monster of a model is just awesome.

Highly recommend anyone coming to visit Disneyland anytime soon to spend some time over at the 'Frontierland' tower to marvel at this fabulous display.

Another view, this time of the 2nd lift hill....

More photos to come....

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Let us take a closer look at this awesome model, shall we?

Step right into the entrance area and let's have a look around....

Splashdown into 'Dinosaur Gap' from above -

A view of the 2nd lift hill from the 'Fantasyland' side of the Attraction, where the Big Thunder Trail begins.
Note the 'resting' Guests in the little shelter by the path -

A close up ( and slightly blurred ) view of the tiny model of 'Tony's Shack' next to the famous dynamite chewing goat, perched precariously at the top of the second lift hill -

And here is a view of one of the miniature trains about to enter the final lift hill inside the Mountain, and on to narrowly escaping numerous falling rocks and other debris-

What a amazing, beautifully made model !

Looking at it makes me want to ride that little runaway mine train all over again...for another 15 times ...or 20 times...or...well, you get the picture.
;)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom