The Disney "rule"?

DiPSU224

Original Poster
I'm new here and I tried to search the forums to see if this topic had been covered before, but I didn't see it anywhere....

Did anyone ever hear of something called the Disney "rule"? I've heard it somewhere before, but basically the idea is that whenever there are lines into a ride or attraction, or even a food line, you should always move to the line to the left. People have a natural tendency to go to the lines toward the right and follow a crowd, so usually the lines off to the left are shorter. I've found that it usually works. I'm sure the idea didn't originate in Disney World, but it certainly applies....anyone have any thoughts on it?

Thanks! :wave:

SirNim

I've heard something similar to this "rule"...

It also applies for World Showcase Promenade, I believe. People tend to start on one side (Canada, I think, on the right) and move counterclockwise towards Mexico. But you really should go clockwise starting at Mexico on the left.

(Or maybe I'm completely befuddled and don't know my right or left NOR what I'm talking about!) :lol:

dizneykev

I'm not sure about this "rule" (although as a lefty, I find I always do things counter-clockwise), I do know a "law" that can be proven true at Disney. It is a law of physics. I like to call it LOESMP (pronounce it however you like.). Basically it states that no matter how wide a partcular sidealk area is or how few the number of people in front of you there is, if they move slow enough, they can block the entire walkway. It is the Law Of the Expansion of Slow Moving People. Look next time you are there and you will see it proven time and time again. LOL.

Dizneykev

DDuckFan130

Wow if that "rule" is true, we must be weird because on rides like PoTC with two lines we always go to the left (although last time it went slower than the right side) and when we're in EPCOT we start in Mexico and go around clockwise...I think it's also because of the rides and we like to have lunch in Mexico

CAPTAIN HOOK

Originally posted by SirNim
It also applies for World Showcase Promenade, I believe. People tend to start on one side (Canada, I think, on the right) and move counterclockwise towards Mexico. But you really should go clockwise starting at Mexico on the left.
Now we always start at Mexico and walk clockwise - Usually, by the time we reach the UK, its time to have dinner :slurp:

barnum42

The theory is that because Americans drive on the historically wrong side of the road they have a subconscious tendency to stick to the right in the lines.

MadameCheshire

We got this little booklet about our DVC membership, and that tip was listed in there. I've never noticed it myself, but it would make sense because in most cases the right side of people is their dominant side (except for the lefties.. of course)

JackSkellington

I have to agree. I am a lefty, so I take the left hand line. About 80% of the time I got onto the ride faster than someone next to me when I got in line. However sometimes it really wasn't a big jump, maybe one or two people ahead of that person. So give it a try.

kbmb

In Epcot, we always seem to start in Mexico....I think it's because we hit Mission Space and Test Track first....then Mexico is right there.

-k

Imagineer

I know for a fact that the left side of the que line for ToT, Big Thunder (pre fastpass), Jungle Cruise (Pre Fastpass), Pirates, Great Movie ride, and Dinasaur are physically a shorter distance. Splash Mt. pre fastpass the right side was shorter. Space Mt. is nearly identical lengths. I have heard the 'rule' and it is definately true. The way most rides are arranged it is just pure distance advantage to take the left side, not necesarily a circulation issue. I know at Tower of Terror even when the right side has some space to move into it I always take the left side because it is about half the distance.

Pigtails

I think it's less a case of right vs. left than people following other people.

I used to work at small world, and if you're familiar with the queue there, you know its just two lines, side by side. Both are completely visible, not inside like at PotC. You'd be surprised at how many times people would keep going into one side or the other, either ignoring the other side, or afraid to be the leader. Even with a CM standing at the entrance, saying, "Both sides are open! You can come in this way!", people will just stand there in the established line, looking at the Cm like he/she is crazy. I've seen it be so bad that the people loading have had to send empty boats because there was no one in their line, even though the other was completely full!

ScrapIron

The Unofficial Guide states that they have tested this theory, sending 2 people in at the same time, and that they almost always came out 30-90 seconds apart, and that they saw no consistent pattern of who was served first.

phlydude

It is not only in WDW that people tend to stay to the right. Take a look when you go to the mall. People tend to stay right.

Go to the left. More times than not, you will come out ahead of someone who entered on the right.

Pirates has a merge point where the 2 lines meet again while walking through the tunnel, don't they? This is not the best ride to test the theory because there is a substancial portion of the line that you have to walk merged (although not single file).

Pigtails

Unless it's part of the extended queue inside that they hardly ever use, that I've never seen, the 2 sides never meet. They are totally separate.

phlydude

Maybe I'm mistaken! Oh well, I thought that once you got past the turnstiles, about half-way down the queue, the lines merged back together. Maybe I'm thinking about something else?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom