1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

The Disney Gift Card?

Discussion in 'WDW Trip Planning' started by real mad hatter, May 14, 2012.

1. real mad hatter

real mad hatter Well-Known Member

Hi All,Iam planning to put my sons pocket money,his dollars,loaded onto a Disney gift card but need to know does this work like a visa,in other words,you load say $200.00 onto his card and he can spend it when he likes,until the card has no money left.Questions are where can I load the dollars on the card?can I top the card up?also is there an expiry date or can he bring it back on our next visit.Can he use it for a snack or drink?Can we check how much credit is left at any point?Thanks for all answers,just thought this may be a good idea instead of him packing his wallet with dollar bills.:wave:

2. disneygirl76

disneygirl76 Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest

Hi there,
    I use disney gift cards all the time. So you can put as much as you like on it. And he can use it until there is no money left on it. You can use it for snacks and such (unless they are cash only carts). I believe the only thing you can not use it for is gratuity at a restaurant. You can check how much is left by calling the number on the back and getting a balance check. I don't think you can reload though. I believe that once it is done, it is done. I got a card for $500 so you can put a lot on there. I don't think it expires...I honestly don't know b/c it never lasts that long! Ha! :lol:

SteveW and jlsHouston like this.
  3. mainstreetusa1

mainstreetusa1 New Member

They are reloadable, we used them at the last Food and Wine Festival and were much much better than cash. We reloaded ours at the International Gateway shop, but I'm pretty sure you could do so at any of the shops.....I don't know if they expire, my money never lasts that long either!

SteveW likes this.
  4. pescador1f

pescador1f Member

reloadable

I bought a card at The Disney Store and everytime I pass one now I add money to it, started at $20 in March and it's now up to $380!! Every associate in The Disney Store seems confused about how to do it but the manager always gets it done, I have now done it at 4 different Disney Stores. Wish I would have done this on all my past 8 trips, I am going in September and I am sure by then I will have at least $600!! Its a great way to go and if it doesnt all get used on vacation with 2 young sons I am sure it will come in handy after the trip!

SteveW likes this.
  5. DrummerAlly

DrummerAlly Active Member

I am fairly certain that I have used Disney gift cards to pay for bills and gratuity at restaurants. :wave:

6. hakunamatata

hakunamatata God jul Premium Member

7. Annielkd

Annielkd Member

You can reload at any time... you can hold onto it for another time too.

8. Annielkd

Annielkd Member

I have also used it for gratuities as well... they work on anything in the disney parks.

9. RonAnnArbor

RonAnnArbor Well-Known Member

They absolutely CAN be used for gratuities -- in fact we have other threads where people talk about using them ONLY to pay gratuities....

Of course, if you are loading up your kids card, that's the last think you need to worry about.

10. Rob562

Rob562 Well-Known Member

From my experiences at my local Disney Store, the problem often lies in that many of the Disney Store CMs try to do the same process in the register that they use when selling a brand new giftcard. But when they swipe the card and the register sees in the system that it already exists, it gives an error.

They have to hit the gift card sale button, and then another button to indicate they're reloading and not doing an initial sale. And as you discovered, it's often only managers that know/remember how to do it properly.

-Rob

11. obrienIII

obrienIII Active Member

Yes, the gift cards can be reused(reloaded). I give both my daughters a gift card with a set amount, and it is up to them to spend wisely. The remaining balance is also printed on the receipt after each purchase they make. They don't have to keep up with cash, and I don't have to reach in my pocket every time they see something they want!

12. real mad hatter

real mad hatter Well-Known Member Original Poster

Thanks To All.

Good Morning,Once again thank you one and all for all your answers.This indeed is the way to go for your children to spend their vacation pocket money,tho I will have my eye on my teenage son to make sure he doesn't arrive back with a full size Sully outfit or something outrageous.:ROFLOL:

13. disneygirl76

disneygirl76 Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest

So glad to hear they are reloadable! I will be adding to the one that I received then! And that it can pay tips! Sweet! And if he DOES by a Sully outfit...please post pics!! :lol:

14. minniemickeyfan

minniemickeyfan Well-Known Member

Just bought this week Disney gift cards at Sam's Club for $98 and some cents and they came with a $10 gift card to the Disney Store!

15. Sunshineglow68

Sunshineglow68 Active Member

Thanks for all the info on the Disney Card and the link with Q & A. I am going to get my daughter one for her birthday in Aug. with a surprise message on it letting her know that we're going to DISNEY in September. Great way to tell her.

Thanks again! :)

16. Funfy

Funfy Active Member

We work the gift card idea to the max:
    -We give to kids with set amount for the souvenir money
    -We use our Disney Visa Card to purchase the gift card at Kroger (sometimes these are 4x the purchase amount in gas $) and get gas points and then send payment to Disney Visa Card immediately.
    -We use the gift cards (purchased by DV) to pay our DVC dues, buy annual passes and pay for meal plan and spending money in the parks.

The cards at Kroger that you name the amount can have up to $1500.

So, then we also have Disney dollars on a gift card from credit card.
    :wave:

17. Kita79

Kita79 Member

What about the disney gift cards that you can buy at Walgreens or other department stores? Are those reloadable too?

18. JIMINYCR

JIMINYCR Well-Known Member

Great idea for your child to have to use anywhere in the parks. We always give a gift card to our son to help start his vacation off.
    And I always drop hints to my wife, mother in law, and other relatives that as the time nears to my Birthday & Christmas time that I would accept Disney gift cards instead of them buying me things I will never use or exchange because the size or color is wrong. You can never go wrong with Disney Gift cards :sohappy:

19. Annielkd

Annielkd Member

Any Disney Gift Card is reloadable... you just can't use them anywhere but for Disney. (That's the one drawback)

20. mrerk

mrerk Premium Member

I've always been a "cash" person, but my last few trips I've been taking my cash and buying a gift card once I get there. So much easier than dealing with a pocket full of coins at the end of the day.

You can reload the card as long as it has something left on it. Once the card reaches zero it is not able to be reloaded. If you are running close to zero just reload it before you make your purchase. The cards do not expire. Your register receipt will show your remaining balance. You can also go online and see the dollar amounts of your purchases and any remaining balance.

It seems like everyone is wired to accept the cards now. Even the ice cream and popcorn carts accept them.