The Creator Games!: An Imagineering Competition - Omega Challenge

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
The Creator Games proudly presents:
The Omega Challenge

Welcome one and all to a very unique challenge. A challenge that will be fun and interactive, help participants hone their imagineering skills, and offer new life for the WDWMagic Imagineering community...

First of all, we would like to cordially invite all prior participates in The Creator Games. For your hard work and dedication, we wanted to give everyone another opportunity to be involved and compete together. Because, in the end, this all is just for fun:)
@2001DISNEYLIFE, @ScorpionX, @Vipraa, @Brer Panther,@InfiniteRightEar97, @Darth_Disney

Secondly, we would like to cordially invite any current participates in the The Creator Games. You all may participate in this Omega Challenge. There will be no reward for participation in The Creator Games main competition, but this can be a place where you improve your skills and/or try out new creative techniques (Photoshop, videos, websites) that could help you in the Games going forward;)
@MCParradox, @DisneyPrincess1993, @RMichael21, @jdmdisney99 ,@tcool, @Matt7187, @ctxak98, @orlando678-, @TheOriginalTiki ,@JokersWild

Last, but definitely not least, we would like to cordially invite any and all members of the WDWMagic Imagineering community that could not sign-up for The Creator Games in time, or had conflicts that deterred you from competing week by week, or are new to the community and want to try a competition for the first time!
We'll tag some people who may be interested...
@englanddg, @Voxel, @Disney Dad 3000, @Dreamfinder83 ,@mharrington, @RadiatorSpringsRacer, @MonorailRed and anyone else who has shown interest in the competition or wants to join!

All are welcome to participate! This thread will basically act as an open-door policy. You all can come in an out as you please, you can post your ideas in segments, or all at once. You can also ask for advice from fellow competitors, because this will all be friendly and fun!

The details to the Omega Challenge will be listed below...

Thanks and enjoy!

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
The Omega Challenge:
WALT DISNEY WORLD - 5th GATE PROJECT

Before we all get started, we wanted to give some background information for all the participates. In order to try and make this competition as authentic as possible, we are going to use the official Reedy Creek Improvement District Comprehensive Plan:
(More info:http://www.rcid.org/Portals/0/Documents/Comprehensive_Plan/Introduction.pdf)

The RCID Comprehensive Plan details the extent to which land can be build in Walt Disney World.
Green = unstainable land. Yellow = semi-sustainable land. Redish/Pink = sustainable land.

LandUse1.jpg

Where this competition is going to focus is on the sustainable land to the right of the Richard Petty Driving Experience (which will be closed soon...also where the number 13 is...

We did some measurements. The Magic Kingdom has a perimeter (including maintenance areas/ride facilities/transportation hubs) That fits within the sustainable land that I've singled out above. Here's a better look at it in Google Earth...

wdw-5th-gate-jpg.82506

The only component of the MK that does not fit in this area is the parking at the TTC. Parking is something we have to consider when building our park because for every area of land you build, you have to have enough parking to accommodate it. If you notice on the RCID plan there are sustainable areas to the sides of the theme park area outlined in the Google Earth image, so you all can get creative with where you place the parking. In fact, maybe you can just use the old Speedway as your parking lot and build a bridge to the park...but we don't want to do the project for you:p:D

When designing WDW's 5th Theme Park, there are some things to consider. One important factor is that the parks are not built all at once. They build over the years to what they are today. Take a look at the Magic Kingdom opening day map in 1971.

40thMap2.jpg

About 43 years later, here's what it looks like:

magic-kingdom-map.png

Other factors to consider are budgets and timing...

Here's a rundown of some of the most expensive attractions that have been built just for perspective:
Test Track: 300 Million
Tower of Terror (Paris): 240 Million
Radiator Springs Racers: 200 Million
Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey: 150 Million
Tower of Terror: 140 Million

For your individual 5th park proposals, you will be working with a 25 year timeline and a total budget of $25 Billion Dollars during that span.

Here's how it will work... The next post will detail how the budget is dispersed among all theme park options we could think of. Attractions, shows, restaurants, yearly maintenance, etc. As we will clarify later on, these are not meant to be taken as exact values. Just approximations to level the playing field so everyone is working with the same parameters.

But for now, the objective in this challenge is to create a timeline of construction and expansion for your 5th WDW theme park, using the budget given in the next post.

Assume the opening day for the park is in 2015, so start with your opening day lineup for the park, and finish in the year 2040 with your expanded park

This can be done in one post, or one website, or you can decide to post it over time, because this project is not due for a while, so you have plenty of time. It's really all up to you!:)

Challenge is due Monday June 29th at 7:00PM EST. Any and all media outlets are acceptable and there are no limits to images or word count. Let's see what you all can do!

There will be a 'winner' of this challenge, but again this is all just friendly and for fun. The winner of the Omega Challenge will be announced right before we announce the official winner of The Creator Games!

Good Luck to everyone!

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Here is the "OFFICIAL" GUIDELINE for costs of theme park items. Items can be anything from an attraction, to a shop, to maintenance. Again, all of these are not official in the real world, we are estimating, so that's why we put official in quotes. These values are just for the sake of equality in this challenge. It still gives all of you creative power over your designs and makes it easier to determine yourselves how much certain attractions/maintenance will cost.

COST KEY:
Small - minimal theme, little detail
Medium - well themed, good detail
Large - Very well themed, extensive detail
X-Large - Best themed, extensive detail
per year - means you have to pay that price each year of your park operation. These are mostly for maintenance/medical bills and employee salary.
one time payment - means you only pay the price of the item in the year you build it. There are no payments annually.

Dark Rides:
(all one time payments)

Small (ex: Pinocchio in DL) - 30 Million
Medium (ex: Peter Pan's Flight) - 45 Million
Large (ex: Haunted Mansion) - 60 Million
X-Large (ex: Mystic Manor) - 90 Million
New Technology in Small/Medium Ride (Ratatouille in DLP) - 80/90 Million
New Technology in Large/X-Large Ride (ex: Harry Potter) - 120/130 Million

Flat Rides:
(all one time payments)

Small (ex: Dumbo) - 15 Million
Medium (ex: Mater's Jamboree) - 20 Million
Large - 25 Million
X-Large - 30 Million --- I cannot think of any examples right now.

Water Rides:
(all one time payments)

Small (ex: Swan Boats) - 20 Million
Medium (ex: It's a small world) - 40 Million
Large (ex: Pirates of the Caribbean) - 60 Million
X-Large (ex: Kali River Rapids) - 75 Million

Roller Coasters:
(all one time payments)

Small (ex: Barnstormer) - 25 Million
Medium (ex: Seven Dwarf Mine Train) - 50 Million
Large (ex: Space Mountain) - 75 Million
X-Large (ex: Expedition Everest) - 100 Million

Misc Thrill Rides:
(all one time payments)

Tower of Terror - 140 Million
Radiator Springs Racers - 200 Million
Test Track - 300 Million

Simulators:
(all one time payments)

Medium (ex: Sum of All Thrills) - 40 Million
Large (ex: Star Tours) - 60 Million
X-Large (ex: Mission Space) - 75 Million

Extra Simulators:
(all one time payments)

3-D Simulator (ex: Star Tours 2) - 60 Million
3-D Ride (ex: Spider-Man) - 75 Million
3-D Dark Ride (ex: Toy Story Mania) - 80 Million
3-D Roller Coaster (Escape from Gringotts) - 100 Million
3-D Show (ex: Muppet Vision) - 40 Million
Motion Simulator ride (ex: Dinosaur) - 60 Million
Motion Simulator show (ex: Soarin') - 60 Million

Shows:
(all one time payments)

Small (ex: Country Bear Jamboree) - 30 Million
Medium (ex: Hall of Presidents) - 40 Million
Large (ex: Beauty and the Beast) - 50 Million
X-Large (ex: Lights Motors Action) - 60 Million

Walk-Throughs:
(all one time payments)

Small (ex: Mickey's House) - 10 Million
Medium (ex: A WS pavilion) - 20 Million
Large (ex: Jungle Trek) - 30 Million

Restaurants:
(all one time payments)

X-Small (ex: Dole Whip Stall) - 5 Million
Small (ex: Quick Service) - 10 Million
Medium (ex: Tony's Town Square) - 20 Million
Large (ex: Beast Castle) - 30 Million

Shops:
(all one time payments)

Small - 5 Million
Medium - 10 Million
Large - 15 Million

Restrooms:
(all one time payments)

Small - 5 Million
Medium - 7 Million
Large (ex: Tangled) - 10 Million

Park Icons:
(all one time payments)
Small (ex: Earful Tower) - 20 Million
Medium (ex: Chinese Theater) - 25 Million
Large (ex: Cinderella Castle) - 50 Million
X-Large (ex: Spaceship Earth) - 75 Million

Transportation:
(all one time payments)

Bus/Taxi Stop Construction - 50 Million
Monorail Station Construction - 75 Million
Monorail Track Expansion - 1 Million per piece

In-Park Transportation:
(all one time payments)

Trolley (ex: Main Street) - 5 Million
Boat (ex: World Showcase Lagoon) - 10 Million
Skyway/Peoplemover - 20 Million
Train - 35 Million

Medical:
First-Aid Station - 10 Million per year

Entertainment:
Meet and Greet: Small -5 Million Medium - 10 Million Large - 15 Million Lucky the Dinosaur Tech M&G - 15 Million X-Large - 20 Million
Fireworks Show: Large - 15 Million X-Large - 20 Million (No Small/Medium option) per year
Water/Pyro Show: (Same criteria as fireworks)
Parade: Medium - 15 Million Large - 20 Million X-Large - 25 Million

Infrastructure:
Land renovation/Walkways/Benches/Trashcans/Entrance area - 200 Million one time payment
Land renovation for new attractions - 100 Million (ex: New Fantasyland) one time payment
Attraction Upkeep - 50 Million per year (max 10 attractions in park) 100 Million per year (max 20 attractions in park) 150 Million per year (max 40 attractions in park)
Electricity (Lights)/Power/Sewage/Backstage Areas - 50 Million per year (max 20 items in park) 100 Million per year (max 40 items in park) 150 Million per year (min 40+ items in park)
Lake construction: Small - 10 Million Medium - 20 Million Large - 30 Million X-Large - 40 Million
Landscaping (Plants/Trees): Few - 5 Million per year Moderate - 10 Million per year Many - 15 Million per year , A Lot - 20 Million per year
Employee Salaries - 5 Million per year
Parking - 10 Million (flat) 50 Million (Garage) - one time payment

If there's anything else let me know but I think that should be enough to get everyone started. Thanks! If anyone has any questions feel free to post them here or send a PM to the judges!:)

Last edited:

MCParradox

Ooh! This is basically the old competition from February that was cancelled, and became the Creator Games! I still have a few concepts lying around (and I'm still tossing ideas around in my head!), so if I have enough time next to the main competition, I'll be sure to enter! :D

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Does the Electricity (Lights)/Power/Sewage/Backstage Areas cost include shops, restrooms and restaurants. If so, wouldn't it be hard to not go over 40 of them?
Yes it does. Though for the first few years of your park existence, you might not have 40 items in the park. After 5-10 years though, you'll probably be at that level until the end.

But don't worry! You have $25 Billion dollars to work with:p

The most you'd ever pay for "per year" items such as maintenance/salaries/medical stuff would be $355 Million per year. And since this project takes place over 25 years, even if you spent the maximum amount per year for each of the 25 years, you would have "only" spent a total of $8.875 Billion on maintenance.

In the grand scheme of things, that's actually only 35.5% of the total budget of $25 Billion given for the project. So while it may seem like a lot, you should be fine. Even in that situation, you'd still have $16.125 Billion dollars left over for attractions/shops/restaurants/and expansions:)

Hopefully that helps!

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Awesome!

Actually I was wondering what everyone thought of this idea...

What if everyone has a say in who ultimately wins at the end? Basically you'd fill out a "guest survey" (a review) so to speak for the other proposals and give them each an overall score out of 10. When we combine all the scores, the proposal with the highest score, wins!

Any thoughts on that?

JokersWild

Awesome!

What if everyone has a say in who ultimately wins at the end? Basically you'd fill out a "guest survey" (a review) so to speak for the other proposals and give them each an overall score out of 10. When we combine all the scores, the proposal with the highest score, wins!

Any thoughts on that?
I very much like this idea, but I worry that there will be biases among contestants.

Flippin'Flounder

Awesome!

Any thoughts on that?
I think that would be good

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Howdy everyone.

I posed a question last week wondering if everyone wanted to be involved in the judging process to determine the winner. This would happen by filling out a "guest survey" of everyone else's parks where you can comment and critic their entries. The person with the highest overall score would be the winner.

It seems like people seem to like that notion so I made a draft of the type of questions that you all could see. You all can edit and comment on wording adjustments below.

1) How would you rate the park overall? (Final Grade 1-10 ...10 being the highest score )

2) Quality of overall themes and designs? (1-10)

3) Quality of attractions? (1-10)

4) Quality of restaurants, eateries, shops? (1-10)

Each contestant would then get a score out of 40.

In order to account for potential biases as Jokers pointed out, these will be considered "fan judges" and will count for 50% for the final score.

The other 50% will come from neutral non-participant judges - meaning IDI and myself, and anyone who is not participating in the contest, but wants to help judge. Any and all are welcome just comment below and let us know!

Hopefully this can be a way for everyone to get involved and have a say over who wins the Omega Challenge!

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Quick question that I might have simply looked over:

How much would the cost of a meet and greet similar to Lucky the Dinosaur cost? 5 mil, like the other meet 'n greets? More? Less?
I would say that due to the extra technology cost, it would be a large or x-large meet and greet cost. I will add that in though later thanks for mentioning it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom