the christmas story 5/10k

imagination30

Original Poster
hey guys i was wondering about this ... Im a big fan of the movie and i have seen on here a post by mad stitch about this race last year so i went to check it out.. and i saw they had a virtaul race , but im really not sure how that works ... would it be worth i or would it be a pain! ... - would really love to do this in real life in clevland , but with work i cant get off during the month of dec. bc of the hoildays! .. so any insight on this ... would be helpful! ...

dreamfinder

Virtual race basically means you pay them, and they send you the medal/shirt/bib/whatever they are offering. The thought is that you then run the corresponding distance on your own. It's usually a way for them to raise more money for their charity (hopefully it benefits a charity, some don't) with no real cost to them other than what they send you. No need to worry about racer numbers, parking spots, having enough aid stations, etc.

216bruce

race.JPG
I am a Cleveland area resident. While I've never done the virtual race, I've run the 5k in it's first year and the 10k last year. It's a fun race but by no means as 'big' a show as a Disney one. You start off next to Tower city (our landmark 30's era building complex), run by The Q -(say Hi to Lebron) and Progressive Field, then over a bridge that is about a mile long, through some of Cleveland's oldest and hippest neighborhoods- Tremont and Ohio City and over to the Christmas Story house and Museum- admission is included! For the 10k you run back to the start. Weather can be dicey- it was about 24 degrees the first year and about 33-34 with a little rain/snow this year. Lots of fun and a ton of runners dressed as 'Pink Nightmares", Leg lamps, and any number of characters from the movie. The bling is pretty cool for finishers too.

Last edited:

Kermit262

Virtual race basically means you pay them, and they send you the medal/shirt/bib/whatever they are offering. The thought is that you then run the corresponding distance on your own. It's usually a way for them to raise more money for their charity (hopefully it benefits a charity, some don't) with no real cost to them other than what they send you. No need to worry about racer numbers, parking spots, having enough aid stations, etc.
A virtual race, huh? o_O Learn something new every day.

216bruce

The money raised for this race goes to neighborhood development and improvement. Considering what the area used to be like and how much it's improved, I'll say that it's done some good. I think it was like 30 bucks or so to run.

Mad Stitch

You start off next to Tower city (our landmark 30's era building complex), run by The Q -(say Hi to Lebron) and Progressive Field, then over a bridge that is about a mile long, through some of Cleveland's oldest and hippest neighborhoods- Tremont and Ohio City and over to the Christmas Story house and Museum- admission is included! For the 10k you run back to the start.

The Lorain/Carnegie Bridge. Cleveland's equivalent to Osceola Parkway. Just about every Cleveland race goes over it. It's over a mile long with a long uphill climb to the center of the bridge. There is nothing to look at. I hate it.

Last edited:

216bruce

The Lorain/Carnegie Bridge. Cleveland's equivalent to Osceola Parkway. Just about every Cleveland race goes over it. It over a mile long with a long uphill climb to the center of the bridge. There is nothing to look at. I hate it.
Yeah, apart from these
200px-HHLorain-pylon2.jpg
there isn't much. It is nice on the 10k to have a little downhill push at the end. Granted, it's after the uphill slog.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom