The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Eric1955

I think ill stay with my traditional Rosca de Reyes, the green/purple thing gives me the creeps :hilarious:

F6LXxvl.jpg

they put baby jesus figurines inside too.
but its only eaten on january 5-8.

You just gotta have purple, green and gold for Mardi Gras. They do sound and look similar. There must be some common origin.

Eric1955

That looks amazing. Yes the food is like nowhere else in NOLA.

We've only stayed in the hotel attached to the mall in the FQ or the Hampton in the Garden District on the advice of others that lived in the area. My DD didn't wind up going to Tulane instead opting for the University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana but we were both torn over her decision and even in the middle of farm country UoI has more than their share of major crimes. Our @Goofyernmost has spoken many times as to his fears of NOLA when his DD attended Tulane. Such a shame, a charming area.

The only problem I have with a lot of food in New Orleans is that it's too spicy. My family thinks I'm crazy because they all love spicy food.

Even though we've moved our local television station affiliates are still New Orleans and I find the amount of crime reported on the news every night unreal. That said, I do feel safe just visiting New Orleans but I wouldn't want to live there again.

seahawk7

The only problem I have with a lot of food in New Orleans is that it's too spicy. My family thinks I'm crazy because they all love spicy food.

Even though we've moved our local television station affiliates are still New Orleans and I find the amount of crime reported on the news every night unreal. That said, I do feel safe just visiting New Orleans but I wouldn't want to live there again.
I work with a gal who grew up there and she echos your sentiments. The place where she used to live and would take the cable car with her mom is now in a war zone. Her words. She introduced me to the King cake and I believe one of the best cake shops there delivers worldwide. The was a cake that comes in chocolate or lemon she wanted us to try.

Goofyernmost

But American what? American is your nationality not ethnicity.
Oh, goody... a philosophical discussion! Since all but the "native American" came from other places and historical studies indicate that even they came from someplace else, there can never be a ethnic American based on original route philosophy. I say hogwash.

Humanity didn't just start to pop up in random areas across the globe like Dandilions on the front lawn. It all had to start from someplace so I will leave that determination up to each individual belief, or in simpler terms, whatever floats your boat. Everyone started someplace. Ethnicity is a defining of culture and tradition. It only matters where you were actually born. For example, My X's Father was born in England and spent his first five years there. He was, technically English. His Daughter was born and raised in Canada. She never was anywhere else until she was over 21 years old. She is not English (she does have an English Father) but, she is Canadian, ethnically! I am a mixture of French, German and American Indian... I am none of those things, I am ethnically American and it does not matter one little snip where my ancestors are from, that is just the route that was taken to get here.

Years ago, when immigration was at it's highest, people from the other nations tended to accumulate in set areas, be they Italian, English, French, German, etc. because that was where the people that they could identify with were located. It made a difference because then they could gradually transition without losing their heritage, language and culture. People at that time got in the habit of calling themselves by their originating home because they were proud of it and they didn't really know, yet, how they fit in with their new culture.

The last three generations of my family were all born on United States soil. It doesn't matter where their parents came from we were all American Culture by then, and therefore Ethnically American. We just, for some reason, have a tough time accepting that. I'm not sure how many more generations it is going to take before we all feel comfortable with being just plain American, but, it should happen before too long, I would think.

seahawk7

Oh, goody... a philosophical discussion! Since all but the "native American" came from other places and historical studies indicate that even they came from someplace else, there can never be a ethnic American based on original route philosophy. I say hogwash.

Humanity didn't just start to pop up in random areas across the globe like Dandilions on the front lawn. It all had to start from someplace so I will leave that determination up to each individual belief, or in simpler terms, whatever floats your boat. Everyone started someplace. Ethnicity is a defining of culture and tradition. It only matters where you were actually born. For example, My X's Father was born in England and spent his first five years there. He was, technically English. His Daughter was born and raised in Canada. She never was anywhere else until she was over 21 years old. She is not English (she does have an English Father) but, she is Canadian, ethnically! I am a mixture of French, German and American Indian... I am none of those things, I am ethnically American and it does not matter one little snip where my ancestors are from, that is just the route that was taken to get here.

Years ago, when immigration was at it's highest, people from the other nations tended to accumulate in set areas, be they Italian, English, French, German, etc. because that was where the people that they could identify with were located. It made a difference because then they could gradually transition without losing their heritage, language and culture. People at that time got in the habit of calling themselves by their originating home because they were proud of it and they didn't really know, yet, how they fit in with their new culture.

The last three generations of my family were all born on United States soil. It doesn't matter where their parents came from we were all American Culture by then, and therefore Ethnically American. We just, for some reason, have a tough time accepting that. I'm not sure how many more generations it is going to take before we all feel comfortable with being just plain American, but, it should happen before too long, I would think.
Your nationality is determined by the nation to which you belong. I am not trying to debate anyone but I just want to make sure people who were born in the United States who look like people from other countries are not excluded. In the state our country is in with race, a person who wears some clothing that others find unique might not be classified as American even if they were born in the United States.
In the hospitals I work in, I work with a lot of Canadians and, from what I gather, they don't have any issues with traveling within our states. But some nurses who are of Asian, Latin American descent and are American do. So this is what I was referring to. American doesn't look one way, dress one way, or believe one way. I wanted to convey that.

Eric1955

This is an oh goody for me too cause I get to quote my favorite movie of all time: The Happiest Millionaire. "Being an American is adding something. It isn't subtracting."

I think you're correct though that if you're family was born in America you're an American. However, I think family heritage should count for something as many families have their own unique traditions not part of the larger American culture because of their own family ancestry.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom