The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

seahawk7

My DD had a trying time this week at work. She was called to deal with a patron lifeguards were having issues with. The warm water pool (they have 4 pools) is subdivided into thirds. One swimming lessons, one special needs adult group lessons and open swim.

An elderly man and wife were in the middle of the special needs swimming lessons and parked up against the wall that these young adults tend to need. Despite being asked they refused to budge. My DD kept trying to move them to another 1/3 but insisted his wife (open swim) needed that particular wall too,while wife kept saying we are done anyhow lets go. Finally they left and the man followed her into her office with the wife standing outside of it. He would not let it go. As my DD explained this group had learning and physical needs and come once a week, the wife felt worse and finally went to change while the dude kept up his tangent for another 15 minutes.

DD came home and said she needs a career 'cause these people are nuts and they can't pay her enough to deal with stupid.
Yeah I have never seen a cure in medicine for stupid. At least your daughter is wise enough to know she shouldn't have to deal with it.

seahawk7

Probably in the student areas, like the main eattery and student exchange areas, but I don't use those buildings since I commute and don't eat on campus. The other campus, which is the "green" campus, probably has decorations, and normally I'd be over there today, but my afternoon class got cancelled.

School of Business does not. Students aren't allowed to decorate in there. No posters, nothing on the walls. The philosophy is to immerse us in the business environment from the begining, so other than the basement, no posters, decorations, nada.
the-office-Halloween.jpg

This business Office will celebrate with you!

FutureCEO

Can you imagine having your home destroyed by lava of all things? I mean, you live 13 miles away from the most active volcano on the planet but still you do not expect this to happen.

PS - Articles were talking in the mertic system. I totally do not understand the metric system. The conversion rates are weird. 1Km is equivalent to 0.6214 miles. Like why can't it be easy! The same thing with Celsius. Multiply 1.8. Why can't it be multiply by 2?

141028214232-02-kilauea-1028-horizontal-gallery.jpg

Last edited:

SagamoreBeach

That is very nice. Some of my favorite memories at WDW involve experiences like this. My babies are growing up: DD soon to be 20 and DS is 15. We have many fond memories of WDW and it makes me sad to know our Disney vacations are changing. Who knows? I might end up going solo in 4-5 years. :(
Going solo is not a bad thing. Or go with friends....might be even better.
-T

SagamoreBeach

Can you imagine having your home destroyed but lava of all things? I mean, you live 13 miles away from the most active volcano on the planet but still you do not expect this to happen.

PS - Articles were talking in the mtertic system. I totally do not understand the metric system. The conversion rates are weird. 1Km is equivalent to 0.6214 miles. Like why can't it be easy! The same thing with Celsius. Multiply 1.8. Why can't it be multiply by 2?

That's the reason we ended up in the U.S. The island, where my parents lived, was being destroyed by a volcano. Almost everyone was evacuated. a few diehards stayed behind. There was no loss of life but lots of damage.
-T

Cesar R M

Can you imagine having your home destroyed by lava of all things? I mean, you live 13 miles away from the most active volcano on the planet but still you do not expect this to happen.

PS - Articles were talking in the mertic system. I totally do not understand the metric system. The conversion rates are weird. 1Km is equivalent to 0.6214 miles. Like why can't it be easy! The same thing with Celsius. Multiply 1.8. Why can't it be multiply by 2?

Thats why the entire world uses CELSIUS and METRICS (science too)

This image still makes me laugh (caution, may hurt sensitive people as it has harsh language)
http://i.imgur.com/uiB6HcN.jpg

btw, you can i magine a KM being a bit more than half a Mile, or simplify it at 1.5 KM = 1 mile.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
My niece is turning 4 or 5 years old. Not sure which. I need some ideas for a birthday gift that is not expensive. With Christmas around the corner, I spend less on birthday gift. Thanks

I love the kinetic sand that I first saw sold by Brookstone (I sent it to my DD at her University) and there is mini sand toys that go with it. I have since seen the sand and toys now sold at Joann's Fabrics store and online. If you register with Joann's online you will also be forwarded a coupon for a 20% off discount on your total order. (can always unsubscribe after your purchase.) The molds my DD has are plastic-ish soft molds similar to molds used for candy molds or cute ice cube tray molds where you can pop the sand out. She uses a shallow tupperware type container to play with it in, less than $2 at Target in the ziplock bag isle.

The sand is great because it clings but is soft and flexible but will not scatter or spill and is long term reuseable. My DDs is 2 years old and the properties of the sand has not changed. Me, I love it too.

845812p.jpg

My DD only has the tan sand, she didn't want to fret about mixing colors and sand is tan.

Gabe1

I tip each morning.
The rule of thumb is $1 per person, plus $1/per night.
Ergo, each envelope contains $4.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating:
I believe in tipping the person who has unfettered access to my toothbrush.

Exactly. I put a $5 bill in each envelope for our trip. So for a little over $50 my room was spotless. We enjoyed extra towels, new soaps and shampoos and more of the cute animal designs. I had a Mousekeeper the trip before though that didn't take the envelope marked Mousekeepsing, maybe new or language confusion? I re-did that envelope with the next days and added housekeeping and then she took it. I saw the 'tip' online to use the non marking blue tape and stick it to the mirror also to indicate clearly the tip was for them and didn't leave a sticky mess for them to clean up.

Gabe1

My mother in law always prepared tip envelopes prior to each trip.
It's a hassle scrambling for a handful of singles each morning.

I agree, this is my pattern.

When I travel or my kids do independently I always go to the bank and make sure for my travelling I have taxi fare, taxi tip, sky cap, DME driver, bell services, bell services again if I need blankets or more pillows, trip worth of tip money, again in reverse, bell hop, DME, taxi money, taxi tip. If you are going to use bag check in when departing don't forget to tip these people who take your luggage too. When I check my luggage through DME to be delivered to our room I always leave a tip marked for Bell Hop who delivers my luggage. This time I got a thank you note on the piece of paper I wrote Bellhop luggage tip on. (being clear is important when leaving money) I also ordered different pillows and another bed blanket, on the same table I left the tip for housekeeping on the same table also marked for them.

I leave the house for vacation with a separate envelope in my backpack where I have about $30 singles, $5, $10 and $20 and two $50's for my taxi to and from airport 'cause nobody really wants to drive me to the airport at
3am. That envelope usually has about $200.00 in broken down cash for specific purpose and then goes in room safe. I also for 10+ trips carry about $750 in cash or cash between us 'cause ya never know. I also buy when I get to Disney a gift card for about $100 or so where I can hand it off to a cart vendor, someone in our group or cup cake vendor, glass of wine from a kiosk etc. where I don't want to be dragging out my little wallet. Take a picture with your phone of the gift card back with code numbers once activated. (note for those who don't use magic bands, if you are using a media ticket, special events tickets, take a picture of those backs too with your phone in the event they are lost those numbers make it easy for Disney to track and cancel.)

Gabe1

For the same reasons we don't round off money in accounting just 'cause it would be easier. If I give someone $5 for $2.25 charge, I want the change back too not just the dollars. The numbers have to jive for it to be accurate.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
That is very nice. Some of my favorite memories at WDW involve experiences like this. My babies are growing up: DD soon to be 20 and DS is 15. We have many fond memories of WDW and it makes me sad to know our Disney vacations are changing. Who knows? I might end up going solo in 4-5 years. :(
I've/we've been going sans Son #1 & Son #2 for 6 years. It's different, for sure.
And by different, I mean BETTER!

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member

Or, you know ... you guys could convert. Like everybody else. ;)

History lesson (shared already in WITWIBS), in the 70's the U.S. was prepared to finally switch, so Canada hopped on board too.
We converted. You guys didn't.
And @Goofyernmost and I are forever estranged as a result.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom