The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

Back in the early 90s, I recall staying at hotels up on I-Drive. This was before I-Drive got so crazy with gridlock traffic up there (before Universal really took off with big crowds), and also I'd only go during low-mid season for WDW. Back then, I'd have a rental car, too--nowadays, I never have a car, because I stay on property.

Anyway, there were tons of restaurants, very reasonably priced, within walking distance of most hotels in that area. I kinda miss those days, of just "winging it" without everything having to be "themed", as in WDW. It was like a nice little break from the parks' bubble . . .
All that was there still exists except in triplicate. That is one, of many, reason why I stay offsite. I am one that needs the "break". I've said it before that the time I stayed onsite, by the end of the week I was seeking out hardware stores to find some very large Mouse traps. I can only take so much of that little money grubbing rodent before I go postal. I know, that is just me, but, my particular affliction has saved me a whole lot of money over the years. I'm OK with it, and have still managed to love the overall experience enough to go year after year. Go figure!

Goofyernmost

I had perfect close-up vision up and until a few months ago. I swear it is using all these cell phones and computer screens affecting them. Dh wears contacts and he bought cheaters for himself. I sometimes will sneak them on to read the itsy bitsy print on some things. I am 47 now, so I guess this is normal, but I do not admit to aging so I sneak my usage.;) Funny thing is if I use a flashlight to read small print , I have no issue reading the real small stuff. :)
Isn't it funny how we tend to relate all vision problems to age. Kids sometimes have to wear glasses to see clearly, it is a physical problem for the most part. Needing reading glasses (cheaters as you call them) is part of growing older, but, why would anyone want to be seen doing the movements it takes to try and read something instead of looking "intellectual" and using reading glasses. To me its the same as the dreaded comb-over, something that I erroneously did for a couple of decades. Life improves greatly if you don't have to strain or stand on you head to read something. What's that old joke... "I used to be able to read really well until my arms got short". As far as baldness is concerned, to me I just feel that I can't see it, so what do I care. If it bothers someone else, it seems to me that is their problem.

Additional light does help, however, you look pretty silly going to a restaurant with a flashlight. Better the glasses. Or if you where glasses anyway, invisible line bifocals make it a total secret.

betty rose

^^^^Hence the condo or SOG. I remember also staying at the monorail hotels when they were expensive but not insane.
We went one time to the Poly , it was great! That was back in the day with the large fountain and all the vegetation. It was pretty expensive, though. We went from that to off sight, or in the campground, they rented trailers back in the day. That was fun too! Then to the Pop Century. Times have changed. Almost all are out of reach for the average person. That was why we bought in. It has been a good turn around for us. Hubby has the statistics, but even with dues...we haven't lost anything.

betty rose

My folks liked the Contemporary when we went. It was expensive but it was only for a day or two. There wasn't enough to keep most at WDW for more than a day or two the first day or two. With Epcot a decade later 3 days was it and we headed south to the beaches. Different times for sure
We did the same thing. I loved the beaches as much as Disney.

betty rose

Hahaaa...!
I started getting "short arm disease" ;) in my early 40's.
Actually, I'm pretty surprised it took that long. Pretty much everyone else in my family (the one I was raised in anyway), was wearing glasses at an early age. :geek:
Other than that (and those other issues I posted about), I seem to have eyes like a hawk (knock on wood - my head, again ;))...! :)
I've been wearing glasses since third grade. They are a part of me now. I did do the contacts for high school and college. I didn't have enough tears to wear them comfortably, so after college, I went back to glasses. So much easier. I didn't try the new wet kind of contacts. I wish I could have a couple different styles, but changing glasses give me headaches.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom