The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

donaldtoo

It can be pretty bad here too.
We had a 42C thermal feeling yesterday..
opening doors felt like this:

a1jhW2k.gif

Yep, pretty much the way it feels every evening this time of year opening my car door in the office parking lot to head home...!!! :eek:

donaldtoo

Meh. Paid very poorly and expected to be happy all the time while supervised by someone who earns $1 more an hour then they do. I get it. When a Mc'Ds employee earns far and above more than many we encounter at Disney our expectations for CMs are executive expectations.

HAH!
You know how it is, Gabe!
As I've posted here many times before about my 4+ years as a local Disney Store CM...peanut pay, always expected 5-star Guest treatment. The peanut pay is why I had to work as many as 2 other retail jobs at the same time!
And, for anyone who thinks the expectations from us weren't as high as any Disney CM anywhere, think again!
Visiting our Store was as close as many of our guests were ever going to get to a Disney Park/Resort. Little kids used to run into the Store exclaiming "It's Disney World!!!".
Even when I was a Lead Manager at the Disney Store I was making more than a dollar more an hour at the men's clothing store as just a basic salesman with much less responsibility.
And I've also told before about our SM at TDS wanting to know if I would be interested in moving up to the ASM position, with much more responsibility than an LM, only to be making a few cents more an hour than I was at the clothing store. If I wasn't good friends with her, I might have laughed in her face...!
For all those 4+ years though, I was ALWAYS as Magical as could be onstage...I would always think of Walt...!!! :happy: Although, from time to time, we all had our moments backstage... :cautious: :oops: ;)
Regardless, I/we still had some awesome times there, and made A LOT of Magic for sooo many Guests...times I will never forget...! :happy:
But, as I've also posted many times before, if nothin' else, it was one heckuva' learning experience...!!! :)

donaldtoo

donaldtoo

Are there steel beams instead of wood in your house? Just asking because there was a GIANT fire this week in MA, from an apartment complex of a few buildings. The beams were wood, not steel. That's why the place went up like a tinder box.

The only reason these buildings can pass code inspections, is because once they install the fire and sprinkler systems--then, they come up to code. But the place was under construction (no tenants yet)--although it looked almost finished from the "before" photos that they showed on TV. Dangerous fire for the firemen to fight as well, according to the fire marshal.

The local mayor is trying to stop this type of construction anymore in her city. But I also heard that the builder has already pulled in permits to rebuild.

I hear about apartment buildings going up in flames all the time while still under construction. Depending on the number of floors, spans, etc., it isn't nearly always necessary to use steel in apartment construction.
I wonder if the sprinkler system had been tested out and was operational at the time of the fire.
There are some upper end neighborhoods around here that even require all residential construction to be equipped with fire sprinklers now.
And, you've seen some of the crazy-big stuff we do, so there is a lot of steel being used in those puppies.

donaldtoo

We have a pretty standard house but the main beams between floors are steel. From what I understand our house is over built for it's size. It also has more insulation than what's considered normal. The person who had it built was an engineer:confused:

Sounds like the guy who did the engineering for our office building. He is known for over-engineering everything. Definitely adds to the overall cost, but, it ain't fallin' down anytime soon...! ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom