The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

donaldtoo

A Bug's Life, cute movie for a kid, NOT a cute attraction for a little kid. Even I close my eyes through part of it.

We didn't go on our first WDW family trip 'til the kiddos were 6, 8, and 9/10 (oldest DD turned 10 while we were there ;)) in July of '01.
All we knew is that there were some surprises in "It's a Tough to be a Bug!", but, everyone still wanted to do it.
We were definitely all startled by the poke in the back (DWifey jumped out of her seat :eek:), but, none of us left the theater, and we were all laughing ourselves silly by the end...!!! :hilarious:
We have always done it at least once on every trip that we have visited AK...! :)

StarWarsGirl

We didn't go on our first WDW family trip 'til the kiddos were 6, 8, and 9/10 (oldest DD turned 10 while we were there ;)) in July of '01.
All we knew is that there were some surprises in "It's a Tough to be a Bug!", but, everyone still wanted to do it.
We were definitely all startled by the poke in the back (DWifey jumped out of her seat :eek:), but, none of us left the theater, and we were all laughing ourselves silly by the end...!!! :hilarious:
We have always done it at least once on every trip that we have visited AK...! :)
I'm so short that in order to sit with my feet on the ground, my back was never up against my back. I never knew about the sting in the back until I was about 9 or so and my dad mentioned it. I was very confused. Now I sit forward on the seat on purpose. ;)

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Yes, but, that is not what we have been talking about. We have been talking about internal show changes. It is the internal ones that I disapprove of. Seasonal decorations may have been considered an overlay, because it physically was overlaying the building or a small part of an attraction, but, the heart of the attraction was not touched. That is by my definition. You like it... OK, that's fine. I do not, regardless of who defines the word itself.

Yep. Not going to have a battle of wits of what the official definition of an overlay is, external or external.

Gabe1

Oh BB is Frozen territory. When we were there last summer, they had the Winter Summer games going on at BB and they had Team Christof, and Team Olaf. Periodically, Olaf and Christof would announce the points. DS would have been a cranky killjoy if not for those games. He did not have fun at TL and we left there right after lunch, but we were at BB much longer than I had expected.

Oy. I cannot like that post. But thanks for the warning! :banghead:

Gabe1

We did Crush several times on our last trip, and we might have done it more than once on our first family trip, too, if we had had more time. Love love love Crush. And the kids wanted to go into Club Cool every time we were anywhere close. They LOVED that.
Norway, pre Frostrom. DS liked the viking hats.

View attachment 216574

Dang he is adorable. My kids loved all that stuff about Norway too. When they were small the playground viking ship was added. They loved to play on it especially at night. The darkness added mystique. Climbing up into the ship was a must do for them everytime we passed. It was built 10 years after the pavilion opened and closed 10 years later. Poof gone.
epcot_norway_viking_ship_stock_by_disney_stock.jpg

Gabe1

That's just it, though. I wouldn't take my kid to universal to learn about history, or six flags to brush up on statistics. If she gets a lesson in those things while we're there, great, but that's not why we're going.

We go to places around town on a weekly basis that expose her to science and nature and the works. In fact last night she got to pick eggs out of the hen house at the farm because it's important to us that she knows where her food comes from, and this weekend we'll be picking our own fruit at a local orchard. We don't depend on Disney to expose her to these types of things.

That is certainly a parenting choice. I found my kids absorbed and learned no matter where we vacationed to and I would not eliminate a park because they might learn something while having fun and the learning experiences the bonus.

Epcot to my kids was not a teaching moment it was learning new things by experience created then by the best imagineers out there. Every parent is different in what their kid should or shouldn't be exposed to or what they shelter them from. No correct parenting or educational answer. You know your kid and what they are open to.\

I found my kids learned and absorbed better when learning was made fun in classroom or in a theme park. Our kids actually did attend Six Flags in Northern Illinois for Physics classes through their school. Sure they could have learned the same thing in a classroom but there was alternative learning style that was hands on that I love including theme parks. I took my kids out of school every fall for 2 weeks and one year my sons teacher gave him the assignment for homework to go to the Hall of Presidents and in Epcot The American Adventure and when he came back he gave a recap to his classroom He learned history better than he could have out of any text book about both War and individual Presidents. His teachers that year embraced what Disney had to offer. Likely why later in life I allowed my son to attend Disney University that is an accredited university for a semester. Different learning style but regarded none the less.

In middle school their assignment, as our system taught Spanish was to take photo's of all Spanish signs and interpret them and bring back all literature they came across in Spanish. They then discussed this in their classroom. I loved some of our teachers creativity.

Gabe1

For many years, I've also bought Birnbaum's and the Unofficial Guide. The new yearly editions are always something to look forward to, and both are very helpful.

Nowadays, I get the most of my information from the web. However, I still buy both of those books every year. It's sort of a tradition with me. And in the case of Birnbaum's, I've always loved the colorful pictures and layout of that book. It's just a happy book to have around--gets me psyched for my next trip each spring! :inlove:

And if you remember back when before the internet being useful Birnbaum's book was the only one with photos. The others had some drawings and maps but Disney only allowed Birnbaum to photograph the Parks for publication. Now the laws on all that has changed but I still buy Birnbaum every year and still have most of them. I like being able to reference back. I love looking back at the old frontierland as example, the train station that is now gone to make room for Splash, the replacement very different and wedged in there. The subs are in my older books along with pictures of the original Indy when the track was much longer.

Gabe1

I'm not saying that my kid won't enjoy anything but princesses. I'm saying that the information on the web for a first timer suggests that unless your kid really loves princesses, then you're better off taking them to AK or HS as your second park.

For sure. There is all sorts of information out there some excellent and some laughable. Like I said you know your kid. If she is all about the Princesses you know what is best for her. As a Mom when my DD was small there wasn't a World of Disney Internet so I had to rely on my judgement not what the Web said to do. We had basic guide books and we as a family aimless took in the parks exploring everything we came across. I didn't have a web to say do this don't do that. So we did the East Side of Epcot then the West. We explored everything the age or height requirements allowed us to experience.

My DD always had a deep curiosity and was reading kids chapter books by the time she was 4 years old, self taught. I credited her deep curiosity about everything around her. She never had any interest in being a princess but loved Disney World and she enjoyed Epcot from the time she was a toddler. Each kid is so different and what makes them tick. You as a Mom realize what is best for your DD and that is what counts. :)

Gabe1

I still pick up Birnbaum, mostly for the coupons. Between that and a few my dh got at work we made out quite well last trip.:joyfull:
I'm a bit miffed at how long building seems to be taking these days, parking garages seemed to take forever:mad:. UNI got DA built in about 3 years and most rides seem to be going up in a 12-18 month span, good old days. DH says even if we can pull something off next year it may still be a UNI only trip even with Avatarland and TSL open:(:mad::banghead:

I get that I am afraid to admit. Toy my bet is something your boys would not enjoy and likely not your DH. Avatarland would be the draw-2 rides. Not that I like it or endorse it but I can see where your hubby is coming from. 2021 is way to long and who the heck knows what will materialize or just cut out. It has happened before and will likely happen again.

I look at Flight and all those years to build. It isn't ADA friendly nor is great for the tall. Would have thought they learned from Dwarf.

Figgy1

Premium Member
@figmentfan423 , I have some questions for you. When you went to WDW last year didn't you rent a condo? I have a friend that is looking for an economical way to go to WDW and I thought a condo might be something they might be interested in.

Where did you book your condo through?
How far away from the parks?
What amenities were included?
What was the price (estimate is fine)?
How many people did it sleep (they are a family of 5)?

Thanks!
NO prob, will PM you my info and also check out Unofficial guide. Paging @epcotisbest he also has stayed in a couple

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom