The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
At least the participants are.. somehow ok.
There are still name calling. @BuddyThomas got the blunt of it..
That is unfortunate. I've peeked. I stay away. I hope the name calling was reported. It is unfortunate when even a rough discussion on topic has anyone hurling personal insults. Says more about the member(s) trying to personally belittle a member by posting nasty, classless remarks.

Songbird76

I believe ice cream was a major treat from our parents generations. My Dad was the same way as were my inlaws. All family functions they brought out the ice cream and it was a 'big deal.' I like ice cream but not that intense love they seemed to have, I reserved that for coffee. ;)

Sadly that little girl seems to be sharper than her Dads at the moment. Wrapped around her tiny finger. Hope they catch on soon.
I like ice cream, too, but it's not the kind of love my dad had for it. If I have a choice between an ice cream sundae and pie, or a cookie, I'll go for the pie/cake/cookie any day. But my FIL is an ice cream fanatic, too...so I suppose you're right. And I guess, if you think about it, a lot of things were rationed both in Europe and in the US during WWII, so ingredients to make ice cream might have been hard to come by. I know sugar was rationed. So it probably WAS a huge treat for that generation.

Yes, I think because it was so hard for my brother and his husband to HAVE a child, and then for my brother to adopt her, she's like their little miracle, so they tend to dote on her. They went through a LOT and had to jump through so many hoops...I hope they wake up soon though. She IS going to start preschool this fall, so I'm betting that will be a revelation. A teacher won't put up with that behavior.
I had somewhat of a wakeup call this year with DD's teacher telling me I need to let her handle things on her own instead of swooping in to save her. I've always been the kind of parent who goes in to talk to the teacher and she said DD needs to learn to communicate her OWN needs...and she's right. Sometimes a good teacher can put it in a way that makes you see it for yourself. DD has gotten so much more independent this year. She knows I'm still here and we TALK about everything, but I don't do it FOR her. Hopefully my niece's teacher next year will be able to clue them in and get her on track!

Songbird76

That is unfortunate. I've peeked. I stay away. I hope the name calling was reported. It is unfortunate when even a rough discussion on topic has anyone hurling personal insults. Says more about the member(s) trying to personally belittle a member by posting nasty, classless remarks.
I've found that generally, if a person resorts to personal attacks, you've won the argument, because basically the person has no response to what you said. They can't think of anything to counter your point, so they call you names instead.

Songbird76

He is 13. Turns 14 in August. :eek:
Oh well that's good...at least he's old enough that you can let him stay in the resort to rest and you don't need to stay with him or have a babysitter. It would be sad if the whole family was trapped because you couldn't leave him alone and he was confined to the room...and of course, family enclosed in one small space with a sick person usually means the whole family is going to get sick. Mine aren't quite that old yet...I can leave DD for a couple of hours at home, but I wouldn't be able to leave DS, and I wouldn't dare leave either of them alone at the resort. At home, DD can grab something from the fridge, or I can make up a few snacks for her before I leave in the morning. At Disney, she'd have to fend for herself. But I'm glad your DS is feeling better anyway!

Gabe1

If I move to the five foot area I have to tread. :bored:

I think part of the reason I can tread so well is that I have to when most other people don't.

If I get tired, I just flip onto my back for a while. What tires me most is after ever y big wave swimming back out. I can usually go about 20 feet or so, but when you do that over and over again, it's very exhausting

That is me exactly. I can if I must, tread a long time, I'm also short. At 5' marker at TL I can also bob or on tip of toes breathe. I was using the 5' marker as a landmark as there is a bend in the wall there as a general guideline.

Gabe1

My guess is he overdid it at TL. He is all better today, thank goodness. :)

My kids have lived and breathed chlorine their entire life. When in school they were competitive swimmers. Nothing was worse than an August summer club meet that lasted all day-outdoors. Indoors is a challenge to the spectators not the so much the swimmers. Outdoors when hot and humid we always had a few that would drop.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
My kids have lived and breathed chlorine their entire life. When in school they were competitive swimmers. Nothing was worse than an August summer club meet that lasted all day-outdoors. Indoors is a challenge to the spectators not the so much the swimmers. Outdoors when hot and humid we always had a few that would drop.
Living on such a small island swimming is a large part summer for a lot of children. Swimming lessons in pools however were more interesting. Your proficiency levels were determined by various ways
First stage. Being able to swim a width
Second . Being able to swim a length.
Third . Being able to retrieve a brick from the pool floor.
Fourth . Being able to remove said brick whilst in your pyjamas ...:confused:

Gabe1

Living on such a small island swimming is a large part summer for a lot of children. Swimming lessons in pools however were more interesting. Your proficiency levels were determined by various ways
First stage. Being able to swim a width
Second . Being able to swim a length.
Third . Being able to retrieve a brick from the pool floor.
Fourth . Being able to remove said brick whilst in your pyjamas ...:confused:
Both of my kids are certified trIners of instructors and lifeguards. Life guards must retrieve brick out of 12 feet of water. They can't dive or go over head first. You surface dive. Basically butt plop and use arm strength to pull yourself down 12 feet pick up brick. That is a deep water verification. Disney has both shallow water guards and deep water. And they also have pool attendants. In a waterpark you'll find the guards in red. Attendants in blue helping guests in and out of tubes etc

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom