The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Bravo Sierra. I stand by my statement...there is no such thing as "white gold" whether rhodium plated, alloy, etc. Gold does not exist in it's natural state as "white". "white gold" is, as you just stated yourself, manmade.

Giggle. I just went to Urban Dictionary, had to see why you referred to me as Sierra. That was a first!!! :eek: :happy: :joyfull: ;)

And for sure you can win this one. :angelic: We all know the only pure gold is 24K, everything else is manmade regardless of its color. It is very rare for jewelry in the USA to be anything beyond 18K here so I concede on that principle that all yellow and white along with rose etc gold jewelry is man made because they all have alloys added to them to cut the 24K during the melting cycle. Obviously that is why there are so many different color variations of white and yellow man made or fake gold out there. Each batch is different. The dipped plating is just the least durable way of manufacturing. They do this too with 14k yellow gold and dip in 24k for the rich and famous. Sadly no relatives willed me 24k pieces. :(

Gabe1

Good grief. It has been a brutal weekend on here. And, I don't think I've ever said this once in my entire life, but, Monday morning can't come soon enough... :cyclops:

Meh. Over the years we've all had far worse discussions on some pretty dicey topics.

Any mention of the election process back in the fall had many in total meltdown as an example. Those sort of things don't get my shorts in a knot. They are only topics. I find the discussions where members start slamming or mocking other people on a personal level disturbing and we don't have that often on this thread often. Rare. A topic is a topic and discussion is what forums are. And we are a Civil bunch.

Me, as everyone knows here my whole adult life has been public service to further education from Special Education to Higher Education. Some people it is band, others environment, still others animal rights as Fish are Friends not Food. :hungry: ;) With my topic that is near and dear to me discussions here always go the same way. When the cons are stated of education I will always be on the Pro side of the topic. But that is to be expected on a discussion board. So for topics I don't get my shorts in to a big of a knot as we all have our different opinions. Just pull my big girl pants up and move on.

Cesar R M

His attorney held a press conference. He has hired two over the top law firms in Chicago. He spent many days in the hospital.
The attorney said he remembers nothing after the first time they dragged him down the bouncing his head off the seat legs and knocking out his teeth. His attorney stated he does not believe the judge will be distracted by legal problems his client had in the past as his past didn't play into the event and was only known later, leaked to the media to distract from the behavior of those removing. Him. Last I heard, broken nose, severed sinus, severe concussion, knocked out and broken off teeth.

Within days laws were being written here. Best one I heard was if an airline was going to bump a patron for a seat it can no longer do that in the last 60 minutes of scheduled departure time.

I bumped my share of patrons off flights when there were no volunteers. Never while they were already boarded. Who does that in a narrow steel tube???? Stoopid is right!
How you want to bet that United Airlines will try to blame its "outsourced" security forces?

Cesar R M

My son told me a while back there were a couple thoughts flying out there, a few were logical, one short sighted.
-guests are returning in the fall so we don't have to feed them
wrong! rooms were never full in the fall despite food and wine
It might be too late this year many have made plans already
but guests might pick another time of year or take Uni up on
their fall perks. Disney always offered discounted packages in the fall prior to Free Dining. (in my mind if this all is confirmed tomorrow, rumor still, this would be the worst fall offering ever in the decades I've been going to Disney. Pay rack rate for room, have to buy park tickets and get only QS food for a room that is over $200 a night? I don't think this change will be a draw for Disney in the future)

-the regular dining plan out grew the table service capacity. Guests not happy with Disney not keep close to ADR time frames, guests missing FPs, guests being told DTD having openings or Olivia's at Key West on busy nights.

-the desire to put some sanity back into their more upscale fine dining even the Cali became a loud sit down diner tone many evenings
And yet, I still remember they keep shuttering sit down and quick restaurants in some areas, like Magic Kingdom.. even on busy days. (like Tortuga Tavern)

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Giggle. I just went to Urban Dictionary, had to see why you referred to me as Sierra. That was a first!!! :eek: :happy: :joyfull: ;)

And for sure you can win this one. :angelic: We all know the only pure gold is 24K, everything else is manmade regardless of its color. It is very rare for jewelry in the USA to be anything beyond 18K here so I concede on that principle that all yellow and white along with rose etc gold jewelry is man made because they all have alloys added to them to cut the 24K during the melting cycle. Obviously that is why there are so many different color variations of white and yellow man made or fake gold out there. Each batch is different. The dipped plating is just the least durable way of manufacturing. They do this too with 14k yellow gold and dip in 24k for the rich and famous. Sadly no relatives willed me 24k pieces. :(
Just wondering, why its rate to have anything beyond 18k?
Even the jewerlies here are full of 24k stuff. Silver is even more easier to get and even cheaper if you find a good store.
Particularly if its in one of the tourist towns near the silver mines.

Gabe1

How you want to bet that United Airlines will try to blame its "outsourced" security forces?

They all but have blamed the escalation on Chicago's Aviation Police. In the plea to save documentation and evidence they have done so for at least United, Republic and the City of Chicago. They are not really outsourced, they are real City of Chicago employees. Just not the Chicago (FOP) Police. I'm not sure how much you have witnessed here in the states. We have all sorts of 'police' law enforcement. Aviation Police, Rail Police, State Police, County Police, Municipal Police, Military Police, University Police, Dear Lord the list goes on. This particular group, the Aviation do not even carry guns which has been debated a great deal over the last few years, Pro's and Con's. My understanding, they want guns. After this...not likely to happen soon.

Gabe1

Just wondering, why its rate to have anything beyond 18k?
Even the jewerlies here are full of 24k stuff. Silver is even more easier to get and even cheaper if you find a good store.
Particularly if its in one of the tourist towns near the silver mines.

Profit margin and durability. 24k gold has almost double the gold over 14k. The cost does not bare out for settings in the profit ranges. 14k in the states is most common. Another reason they mix it with alloys here is it makes the gold much harder and more durable than 24k real, pure gold. 24k gold is very soft and isn't durable. Stones tend to loosen or pull out of settings of 24k. When 24k is used it generally just a plate over 14k. That way you have the real 24k color but the durability of the gold alloy mix. It is the alloys picked out that changes the colors of melted down, molded gold. Fraud is high in some areas what is marked as higher levels of k's and in reality is just plated-dipped. India is one of the few places I know of that people want 24k an will pay dearly for pieces made from pure gold.

I have a lot of jewelry. A couple of pieces from my Gran's Mom from Ireland back in the day. I have a white gold etched engagement ring from likely the mid 1800's that is still holding onto its color an engraving. Both sides of my ancestors were apparently real into hanging onto jewelry and passing it on. I have more from my Dads side as my Sis and I were the only girls. My Mom now in her 80s has divided up all her stuff and my Dad gave her alot. It is cool and also overwhelming. It is valued at a great deal but if you actually had to find a buyer for it I wonder what the reality value would be? 95% of it sits in safety deposit boxes at banks. Someday it will be all in my DDs safety deposit boxes lol.

Gabe1

And yes, I still remember they keep shuttering sit down and quick restaurants in some areas, like Magic Kingdom.. even on busy days. (like Tortuga Tavern)

It is going to just push the problem to QS vs TS venues. But lines at QS isn't the same as having to frequently wait for your ADRs beyond a reasonable expectation. At Garden Grill there were tons of families sitting on the rugs outside the GG over an hour beyond their expected sitting time. Service inside beyond slow. Our seating was over an hour late and our meal was almost 2 hours-no wonder they can't keep their ADRs punctual.
My guess is the kitchen can't keep up with the amount of ADRs they keep stuffing in. I found the same at Via Napoli. Crazy. They still have the TS restaurant shuttered at the French Quarter. Everything is intact. I don't grasp stuff like this. I ate there for years when it was open, always plenty of guests and some of the best food I've had at WDW. Go figure. Disney's hiring freeze and Over Time taboo obviously played into the 2016 food and wine/free dining issues. The lines at F&W are beyond ridiculous frequently. I grasp the realities. They want the guests, they want the revenue but didn't want to pay for the staffing. Even checking into a resort is becoming painful, lack of staff and often rooms are still not ready beyond check in time. The resort rack rate is expensive, not having adequate staff to ready the rooms by check in time is a lot to expect guests to be fine with. My understanding is they are rethinking the structure of Free Dining and Food and Wine (FW has so many issues now) but really I believe anyhow Disney is just kicking the can, much like their inhouse transportation. Until they grasp you have to spend money when racking in so much money......

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I was just thinking that the world would be a very boring place, without differences of opinion. ;)

Dog+martinis.bmp

Figgy1

Premium Member
I spent the day digging dandelions out of my lawn. They were all around the picnic table, so I moved that. Now the table is in a new place, and I put down some new grass seed in a large patch of the yard that had no grass at all. I watered of course, but I am hoping for some rain this week. I like doing yard work, most of the time, and it was a beautiful day today. Almost time to sow some seeds. I plan on doing more seeds than plants this year. I have my favorites, which are morning glories, sunflowers, nasturtiums, marigolds, and zinnias. Last year was the first year I sowed zinnias, and they did really well.
I hope you didn't throw the dandelions away:hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry:

MySmallWorldof4

Interesting how Disney has kicked the moderates to the level of free dining that value resorts are, QS for this fall. Not surprised but I bet there are going to be some disappointed guests.
I have a friend who was counting on free dining and I just told her she was blocked out. She is a nurse in our local hospital, so she cannot change her dates. I told her she should be able to get a room discount but her dates weren't released as room only discounts yet. It is strange because her dates were in last falls discounts that were released in April. Guess they are changing things up a bit. Maybe they are more booked then the last bunch of years?

Joshrzmeup

Well, I wanted a life change and to learn new skills and so since no job wants to hire me since I don't have the experience (mostly just restaurants and retail), I did it myself. Even though i'm no makeup guru, I joined Younique as a presenter for my 2nd job. I gotta say, in the 2 weeks i've been doing it, I've learned a lot! It was a big step for me to decide to do it, but I did. I refuse to let my severe anxiety get the best of me!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom