The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Don't forget that when you factored in what salaries were then, you still couldn't afford to go on a vacation anywhere. I remember that period of time, as financially my worst time ever. That was just before or at the start of the Gas Crisis. Previous to that it was 29.9 for regular gas. They even had price wars back then and if your competition went down a penny, so did you. Now it just works in reverse. No one ever goes down in price, in a competitive way, but, magically they all go up at the same time.

When I was in college I worked in a gas station pumping gas and doing minor repairs. We had three gas categories, Regular, Supreme and something called "Plaid". The later was the "cheap gas" (2 to 5 cents per gal. cheaper). What people didn't know was even though there were three types we only had two tanks in the ground. Plaid was pumped directly from the Regular tank. I can't begin to tell you how many times I silently listened to people tell me that their car ran awful with Plaid, and it wasn't worth the savings. Fill it with regular please! OK, gotcha!
I think I was in drivers ed maybe or just before when the crisis hit and the lines for rationed gas. My Dad was building downtown so took a train so their cars had enough gas to not have an impact. But it was all pretty much a master plan to put independent service station out of business. It worked and we as consumers were left with mega stations, no car servicing services and put your own dang gas in your car.

When I finally bought my new Mustang I went as long as I could to a full service. Washed windows. Checked oil and pumped gas. Took money from my window and I drove away.

I am jealous of states that do not allow patrons to pump their own gas.

Gabe1

I remember all of that except the gas price. That would sure be nice to see now. My Dh tells a story that when he was a kid he had sesame street colorforms and that one day one of them moved on there own. I think he said one character picked up a colorform phone and put it down. He then ran out of the room. He still says that it actually happened and didn't make it up.
Ha! Wonder what the rest of the story was. They did stick together.

I was a nice Mom. When they were done playing I'd take the colorforms and put them back where they belong on the black board so it was ready for next time.

Gabe1

I like all of those (except maybe for the Hi-C Cherry "flavored" drink. :facepalm:

Colorforms were the best activity and I loved those! When I was a little kid, I had an operation and was in the hospital for a few days. My parents brought me Colorforms to play with; and outside of "visiting hours" when they weren't there, I'd be entertained for hours--changing up the coats, hats, boots, etc. on the characters. :)
I use to take colorforms on airplane for my kids to MCO. By that point they were sold in a flat folder type format. Took little room and not an issue with turbulence.

And we didn't drink much Hi-C. We were a Hawaiian Fruit Punch family. Still love that stuff (Ducks and hides)

Figgy1

Premium Member
I think I was in drivers ed maybe or just before when the crisis hit and the lines for rationed gas. My Dad was building downtown so took a train so their cars had enough gas to not have an impact. But it was all pretty much a master plan to put independent service station out of business. It worked and we as consumers were left with mega stations, no car servicing services and put your own dang gas in your car.

When I finally bought my new Mustang I went as long as I could to a full service. Washed windows. Checked oil and pumped gas. Took money from my window and I drove away.

I am jealous of states that do not allow patrons to pump their own gas.
Figgy does not pump gas:D. One thing I'll never get is charging more to pump your own:oops:

MouseDreaming

All except 1996
mork and mindy, popeye,hook,alladin,mrs doubtfire,dead poets,flubber,1 hour photo, night at the museum
Respectfully, I am pretty sure you missed 1997.
I think it is supposed to be Goodwill Hunting. For what it is worth, I liked Dead Poet's much better. 1996 is a terrible movie he did where he plays a boy with an aging disorder. Jack.

Figgy1

Premium Member
If it makes cleaning the boys bathroom sound better, it must be really boring!
Beyond boring! Plain dull blue canvas, straight lines and making a pile of them.:brb: Haven't gotten to either yet:oops:. I folded the boys laundry and put it away. They owe me one:joyfull: They're supposed to at least put away their own clothes and sometimes I even make them fold. I'm not in the mood for boring or yucky. I want flowers, palm trees and sunshine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FLORIDA!

MouseDreaming

Beyond boring! Plain dull blue canvas, straight lines and making a pile of them.:brb: Haven't gotten to either yet:oops:. I folded the boys laundry and put it away. They owe me one:joyfull: They're supposed to at least put away their own clothes and sometimes I even make them fold. I'm not in the mood for boring or yucky. I want flowers, palm trees and sunshine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FLORIDA!
It wasn't Florida, but my view last yearupload_2017-3-29_12-48-17.png

MySmallWorldof4

Just took a break from laundry to read here. I am with you on the whole palm tree Florida thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom