The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

StarWarsGirl

Today was in the low 50's and we had some rain, I'm not really liking this cooler weather. :grumpy:

On a funny and strange note...my 7th graders were giving presentations today and during one group's presentation all of a sudden one kid (who is presenting) starts crawling around on the floor. I was like WHAT?!? :jawdrop:It had nothing to do with the topic either....I think it will be a long school year with these 7th graders. :confused: My 8th and 9th graders are fine, at least as of right now.
I have so much respect for you teaching that obnoxious age group. I'm convinced every human being between ages 12 and 15 loses their mind. Some of them actually get their minds back.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Today was in the low 50's and we had some rain, I'm not really liking this cooler weather. :grumpy:

On a funny and strange note...my 7th graders were giving presentations today and during one group's presentation all of a sudden one kid (who is presenting) starts crawling around on the floor. I was like WHAT?!? :jawdrop:It had nothing to do with the topic either....I think it will be a long school year with these 7th graders. :confused: My 8th and 9th graders are fine, at least as of right now.

My kid was in 7th grade when i received one of 'those' phone calls from the middle school media director, a lady who at best was a bit cockcoo. Complaint and advising me my son was being silly and she wanted me to deal with him. :confused:

OK, what did he do? I told you being silly. Me, silly how? and repeat. Finally I said sure I'd talk to him but I need more to go on than one word 'silly.' She went off on me saying I thought you, being a board member would be more supportive of the staff. :jawdrop: blah blah blah Never did find out what 'silly' warrented a phone call. So when the manchild came home I said Mrs. X called today, he looked confused vs guilty and I repeated the conversation, still same reaction. Be careful not to be silly in school today as he walked out to the bus the next morning. :banghead:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Yeah, I think this year I will have some interesting stories. This group is the most immature group we have had in a long time. The boys are especially needy, we have already had a lot of crying boys because someone looked at them funny. And the girls seemed to either ignore the boys or "mother" the boys. So I have to try some humor in them.

Yeah, I found most recognized the hormonal rollercoaster in girls more than they did with the boys. I can't imagine anyone wanting to teach middle school. Through my kids era the issue wasn't with the girls ignoring the boys or mothering them, it was more a chunk of them thinking they were college coeds. And the clothing they wore or attempted to wear in school, oy.

Cesar R M

Trip Report AHOY..
PART 4!

The other side of the House had the pool (which I have no idea why I did not take photos) and a small pool for liliy plants and orchids.

DSC_5558_DxOFULL.jpg

Next side of the pool, there was the official Vizcaya house store and restaurant.

Since we were VERY hungry, we decided to go in.
We also used our time to buy some cheap mementos (for me a simple magnet for my collection and my mother a small notebook).

I ordered a Cesar Salad(which was kinda bad, hardly any flavor) and a Burger and my mother a Vizcaya Salad which she loved.
20160901_162706.jpg
My burger definitively well done. Not a fan of that kind of bread. But tasted well in combination with the lettuce, shrooms and onion.

Once we were done, we were ready to return as it was getting late and we still had to do our cruise.

We were leaving the Vizcaya House when my mother didn't felt good on her stomach. It seems she was still not completely healed from that awful Pizza at the PVR Airport. So we had to rush back to do a "pit stop" in the restroom of the restaurant. Interestingly, the place was getting empty, Almost nobody was there now. Kinda creepy with only the staff there lol.

Anyway we left the Museum and sat in a chair right infront of the entrance of the Museum for the Big Bus. and waited.. and waited. It was getting late so we were thinking about calling an Uber. But right as I was getting my phone out, the Big Bus finally arrived and we boarded in.
DSC_5566_DxOFULL.jpg
Impressive hotel while on the road. Pardon the bad photos, bus was moving pretty fast and I was sitting next to my mother on the bottom of the bus.

DSC_5567_DxOFULL.jpg A church ( as per my mother's requests). The houses in this area were very nice.

DSC_5568_DxOFULL.jpg
A swimming pool and relaxation center.

DSC_5571_DxOFULL.jpg
Downtown Miami again as we got closer to the Bus loop end.

We finished the City loop and we were ready to return to the Bus stop area to switch to the Biscayne Bay cruise. Which featured a tour of the Millonaires's island.

We had a bit of trouble locating the tour, as the people around were giving us conflictive directions. Turns out we just had to walk all the way thru the marina to the center of the Front Bay-Port Mall.

The ship was ok. It was your simply Ferry style flat boat with 2 levels, covered on the bottom, open with bar in the top. and back space for you to enjoy the rear view.
The Cruise was pretty full, every chair on top was filled.
But I managed to scramble to get decent photos from the front of the ship (which you can access too).

DSC_5572_DxOFULL.jpg
Here we have the "famous" FountainHead super Yatch, I'm unsure who is the owner, but I understood a bit that the owner was FILTHY RICH. There is a funny story online that the SEARS owner (and owner of the boat) tells everyone that the owner is Mark Cuban. Also sorry for the black spots, This is where I really noticed my DSLR became seriously dirty. No idea how as I had not changed lenses yet.

DSC_5573_DxOFULL.jpg
There were some people also taking photos of a new car for some magazine.

DSC_5576_DxOFULL.jpg
The center area of the Bay going towards the inner channel, was filled with smaller yatches.

DSC_5578_DxOFULL.jpg
Who the hell has as a bike and a bicycle in a darn boat moored in the middle of the way? Seems only this guy lol

And now, some Millonaires and famous people houses (or that were formerly of famous people)
I actually loved the pink house of Gloria Stefan.
MM9T1c1.jpg

jUYjWFd.jpg

U2gtZBd.jpg

exPsRdF.jpg

This mansion was under renovation.

t0D4jee.jpg

One of the biggests states in the area and one of the most expensive. Rumored to have costed the owner 80 million a bunch of years ago.

Panoramas!!

fL76JZO.jpg

K8RX3hw.jpg

uvRLxho.jpg

This particular house had a huge Rabbit sculpture. Very similar to the logo of ROSHFRANDS. (Mexican brand of automotor oils)

Close up!
k7VLZjC.jpg

Others were clever using their yatches to block the view.
bYouzyG.jpg

Nice view of the skyline of the other side too (of Miami Beach)
QYxVTIY.jpg

and I think this is Gloria Stefan's mansion.

uwTNXah.jpg

Sun was setting so the ship did a 180 and went the opposite way towards the other side of the bay, to see the cargo.
We passed the USS Coast Guard center of Miami Beach, tons of crawlers, pushers and small gun boats.

Also we seen a big container ship being towed out.
Y3G8Ulp.jpg

Miami surely is pretty at night with the skylights. There are some towers that change lights and even do figures with their outer wall lights.

bhRXAW8.jpg

And one of the most biggests yatches in the world, turned floating restaurant if I remember correctly:

PcafyOO.jpg

And that is for today. We finished the day by going down, getting an Uber and returning to our hotel to get the well deserved sleep.

What a busy day!

More soon in the PART 1 of day 2!!!

StarWarsGirl

In other news, my choir director asked me to participate in a mastery class. I have to pick a Rodger's and Hammerstein song. I wanted one that is good for my range, interesting, and not overdone. I think I want to do "In My Own Little Corner" from Cinderella. Good song for a soprano, not overdone, and interesting. Now I'm rather nervous and glad I have about a month to prepare one song.

donaldtoo

Sympathy like. Ours go until right before Thanksgiving. Tomatoes and such will most likely be done in a couple of weeks with the first frost, but then with winter crops come in and I can't wait for cauliflower and the winter squashes to be in at their best.

As I've posted before, ours are year 'round, rain or shine...! :)
Sorry for the redundancy... :oops: ;)

StarWarsGirl

Also, one of my interns quit. She apparently didn't realize the internship is unpaid and didn't want that. Kind of understand that, but at the same time, she has precisely zero work experience, and the paid internships are really hard to come by when you've got no work history whatsoever. I got this job because I did an unpaid internship and got experience; it leads to other stuff. Oh well.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
In other news, my choir director asked me to participate in a mastery class. I have to pick a Rodger's and Hammerstein song. I wanted one that is good for my range, interesting, and not overdone. I think I want to do "In My Own Little Corner" from Cinderella. Good song for a soprano, not overdone, and interesting. Now I'm rather nervous and glad I have about a month to prepare one song.

I loved that version of Cinderella with Leslie Ann Warren. (I think I even remember some of the words of that particular song you chose.) :)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Trip Report AHOY..
PART 4!

The other side of the House had the pool (which I have no idea why I did not take photos) and a small pool for liliy plants and orchids.

View attachment 165586

Next side of the pool, there was the official Vizcaya house store and restaurant.

Since we were VERY hungry, we decided to go in.
We also used our time to buy some cheap mementos (for me a simple magnet for my collection and my mother a small notebook).

I ordered a Cesar Salad(which was kinda bad, hardly any flavor) and a Burger and my mother a Vizcaya Salad which she loved.
View attachment 165591
My burger definitively well done. Not a fan of that kind of bread. But tasted well in combination with the lettuce, shrooms and onion.

Once we were done, we were ready to return as it was getting late and we still had to do our cruise.

We were leaving the Vizcaya House when my mother didn't felt good on her stomach. It seems she was still not completely healed from that awful Pizza at the PVR Airport. So we had to rush back to do a "pit stop" in the restroom of the restaurant. Interestingly, the place was getting empty, Almost nobody was there now. Kinda creepy with only the staff there lol.

Anyway we left the Museum and sat in a chair right infront of the entrance of the Museum for the Big Bus. and waited.. and waited. It was getting late so we were thinking about calling an Uber. But right as I was getting my phone out, the Big Bus finally arrived and we boarded in.
View attachment 165592
Impressive hotel while on the road. Pardon the bad photos, bus was moving pretty fast and I was sitting next to my mother on the bottom of the bus.

View attachment 165593 A church ( as per my mother's requests). The houses in this area were very nice.

View attachment 165597
A swimming pool and relaxation center.

View attachment 165594
Downtown Miami again as we got closer to the Bus loop end.

We finished the City loop and we were ready to return to the Bus stop area to switch to the Biscayne Bay cruise. Which featured a tour of the Millonaires's island.

We had a bit of trouble locating the tour, as the people around were giving us conflictive directions. Turns out we just had to walk all the way thru the marina to the center of the Front Bay-Port Mall.

The ship was ok. It was your simply Ferry style flat boat with 2 levels, covered on the bottom, open with bar in the top. and back space for you to enjoy the rear view.
The Cruise was pretty full, every chair on top was filled.
But I managed to scramble to get decent photos from the front of the ship (which you can access too).

View attachment 165598
Here we have the "famous" FountainHead super Yatch, I'm unsure who is the owner, but I understood a bit that the owner was FILTHY RICH. There is a funny story online that the SEARS owner (and owner of the boat) tells everyone that the owner is Mark Cuban. Also sorry for the black spots, This is where I really noticed my DSLR became seriously dirty. No idea how as I had not changed lenses yet.

View attachment 165599
There were some people also taking photos of a new car for some magazine.

View attachment 165600
The center area of the Bay going towards the inner channel, was filled with smaller yatches.

View attachment 165601
Who the hell has as a bike and a bicycle in a darn boat moored in the middle of the way? Seems only this guy lol

And now, some Millonaires and famous people houses (or that were formerly of famous people)
I actually loved the pink house of Gloria Stefan.
MM9T1c1.jpg

jUYjWFd.jpg

U2gtZBd.jpg

exPsRdF.jpg

This mansion was under renovation.

t0D4jee.jpg

One of the biggests states in the area and one of the most expensive. Rumored to have costed the owner 80 million a bunch of years ago.

Panoramas!!

fL76JZO.jpg

K8RX3hw.jpg

uvRLxho.jpg

This particular house had a huge Rabbit sculpture. Very similar to the logo of ROSHFRANDS. (Mexican brand of automotor oils)

Close up!
k7VLZjC.jpg

Others were clever using their yatches to block the view.
bYouzyG.jpg

Nice view of the skyline of the other side too (of Miami Beach)
QYxVTIY.jpg

and I think this is Gloria Stefan's mansion.

uwTNXah.jpg

Sun was setting so the ship did a 180 and went the opposite way towards the other side of the bay, to see the cargo.
We passed the USS Coast Guard center of Miami Beach, tons of crawlers, pushers and small gun boats.

Also we seen a big container ship being towed out.
Y3G8Ulp.jpg

Miami surely is pretty at night with the skylights. There are some towers that change lights and even do figures with their outer wall lights.

bhRXAW8.jpg

And one of the most biggests yatches in the world, turned floating restaurant if I remember correctly:

PcafyOO.jpg

And that is for today. We finished the day by going down, getting an Uber and returning to our hotel to get the well deserved sleep.

What a busy day!

More soon in the PART 1 of day 2!!!

OMG--the yachts down there!! I recall that was something that really stood out in my mind, too, when I went to Miami. And not only the yachts, but some very cool racing boats, too--all very expensive toys!! :jawdrop:

Those were nice photos of buildings, etc. I'm glad your mom asked you to take a picture of that church--very pretty.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Excellent choice and as @MinnieM123 said it's from a great movie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom