The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Oh my. That does sound a bit steep, but, it's all relative. :)
Yes and no.
I can go to Buffalo (well, not today) and buy gas, produced in Canada. Refined in Canada. Trucked from Canada, for about 40% less than the pumps 20 minutes back over the border.
We never return home without filling up first.

In fact, last week after we landed, we went to Wegman's for beer and groceries, and then filled up the tank before heading home.

Universal healthcare ain't free, that's for sure.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Tupperware is big bucks now.
My mom used to sell it 37+ years ago, so I have a particular affection for it.
I used to love helping her pack her big bag before "parties" and practising her presentation.
She just seemed so "worldly" to me.
I even remember her manager's name. And address. How weird is that?

The last party I attended was about 10 years ago, here in my home, hosted by my Mom.
I bought a large (very large) white salad bowl (dark blue lid) for $70.
Seriously $70, ten years ago, for a ginormous bowl. I still have it though.

$70 for a Tupperware bowl? No way.

I am envisioning a room full of women sitting bare foot in your living room buying up plastic ware. :facepalm:

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
robinhood.png
Was the first image Peter Pan, or was I seeing things?

MinnieM123

Premium Member
BTW, what are y'all payin' for gas, these days?
There's a place just a few miles down the road that has regular unleaded for $2.42.

I just checked the AAA average for the Metro Boston area, and yesterday the average for regular, unleaded was $2.95. (Individual stations outside the city limits vary; I'm sure my area is a bit lower than the city.)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I used to love helping her pack her big bag before "parties" and practising her presentation.

The last party I attended was about 10 years ago, here in my home, hosted by my Mom.

So, $70 for 10 years (so far) sounds like a decent investment. I assume you'll probably get a few more years out of it as well. Sometimes when you buy a quality item at a higher price, you actually end up saving money over the long run. I find the cheaper versions of plastic storage containers just don't hold up for very long--especially the lids.

Haven't been to any of those types of merchandise sales "parties" ;) for ages. Down through the years, I recall a number of friends who sold all kinds of things: Tupperware, jewelry, Mary Kay cosmetics, Avon, and clothing. It does seem like a thing of the past now.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
So, $70 for 10 years (so far) sounds like a decent investment. I assume you'll probably get a few more years out of it as well. Sometimes when you buy a quality item at a higher price, you actually end up saving money over the long run. I find the cheaper versions of plastic storage containers just don't hold up for very long--especially the lids.

Haven't been to any of those types of merchandise sales "parties" ;) for ages. Down through the years, I recall a number of friends who sold all kinds of things: Tupperware, jewelry, Mary Kay cosmetics, Avon, and clothing. It does seem like a thing of the past now.
Yeah, the parties were really the thing years ago.
For many women, it was a great evening job that allowed them to stay home with the kids during the day. There were four of us growing up, so I think it also gave my mom the chance to get out and interact with adults a couple of nights a week.

I always thought Tupperware was a well-made product, and to this day, most items still come with a lifetime warranty.
And while not a fan of any of the Avon perfumes, I buy a lot of other Avon products, particularly their make-up, daytime moisturizer and shower gels. And clothing. I own a lot of Avon brand nighties, tank tops and t-shirts.

MOXOMUMD

I remember when I was little a friend's mom gave me a little container (about the size of a shotglass) with a lid and I thought it was the coolest thing. When I got married we got a breakfast set with the cereal containers which I still use all the time. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom