The Black Hole...in ImageWorks

horizons82

Original Poster
In the animation and movies thread I mentioned about how I'd love to have The Black Hole remastered and released in blu-ray.

At any rate, it got me reminiscing...wasn't The Black Hole part of an ImageWorks attraction?

If I recall, guests from the audience (mostly kids I believe) would stand in front of a green screen on a small stage and take direction and act out the scene from the film where a meteor rolls through an interior corridor of the Cygnus as the characters in the film ran across the interior bridge in front of the oncoming meteor. People standing around in the audience would watch the action with the superimposed audience cast on monitors above the stage acting out the scene with their images placed into the film.

Is my memory of this correct and does anyone else remember this?

Figments Friend

You are remembering 'Dreamfinder's School of Drama'.
It was a live interaction presentation similar to what you described, that placed Guests 'into' various imagined locations via 'green screen' technology.
The wild west, outer space, etc.
It was a clever little show...hosted by Dreamfinder ( played originally in the video segments by Joe Rhode, of all people..! ).

I do not remember it ever having a 'Black Hole' movie tie in.
Perhaps you remember seeing the 'outer space' segment, and associated it at that time with this film?
Each showing took the Guests who were participating to a different location.

horizons82

Original Poster
Sounds like we are both right...after doing some more research about this, here is a little blurb I was able to find on a site giving trivia facts on The Black Hole...

"The meteor storm sequence was used as background during the science fiction portion of Dreamfinder's School of Drama at EPCOT Center's Journey Into Imagination ImageWorks entitled Acrobatic Astronauts in Galactic Getaway. Children would perform behind a green screen and their performance would be shown on monitors with the meteors crashing through the ship."

Here is the link from the page this was taken from:
http://findfactsabout.com/p/341538
(I believe it's no. 13 down on the list)

It's sounds like it was taken from the film, but not actually credited or titled as such in the show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom