The BFG trailer

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Loved this book as a kid. Roald Dahl is awesome! I hope they did a good job with it.

If you aren't aware this story is by is the same author who wrote Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Matilda, James and Giant Peach, The Witches etc.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
bfgposter.jpg

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Spielberg's The BFG Struggles at Box Office - Report
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/spielbergs-the-bfg-struggles-at-box-office-report/1100-6441467/

Disney's Finding Dory was the No. 1 film at the US box office this weekend, beating out newcomers such as The Legend of Tarzan and Steven Spielberg's The BFG.

Variety, which has the box office figures, reports that Finding Dory took in $41.9 million over the weekend, bringing its new US total to $372.2 million. After Monday's figures are counted (it's a US holiday), the film could rake in $50.5 million for the four-day weekend.

The site also reports that Finding Dory is on pace to topple Toy Story 3 ($415 million) to become Pixar's highest-grossing US film ever.

The Legend of Tarzan brought in $38.1 million, landing at the No. 2 position for the weekend. It could end up making $4 million for the four-day holiday weekend, which would be around $10 million more than analysts predicted, Variety said.

In the No. 4 position for this weekend was Disney's The BFG. Variety called it "the weekend's biggest disaster" and one that, despite pretty OK reviews, was "overshadowed by" Finding Dory. It "collapsed" at the box office, the report said, bringing in $19.6 million for the three-day weekend and is on pace for $23.6 million for the four-day holiday weekend. The film had a reported $140 million budget

"It will rank as one of the biggest flops of the summer and of Spielberg's career, raising questions about his drawing power after a decade spent making historical dramas such as Lincoln that are geared at older crowds," Variety said.

The BFG came in behind The Purge: Election Year, the weekend's No. 3 movie, which made $30.9 million Friday-Sunday and could generate $34 million when Monday's numbers come in.

Ouch

TyTrap

Maybe it was just me but I really liked this movie. The screenplay was well written, Spielberg did what he does best on the directors chair. The pacing was perfect. Every actor/actress turned in a stellar performance especially Mark Rylance and Ruby Barnhill, their on screen chemistry was excellent. Not just because of Speilberg but I could see this movie in contention for best picture of 2016 at the academy awards.

Figments Friend

I went to a preview two days before it was released nationally, and liked it.
A decent family film with a fun story and some interesting twists.
Had a lot going for it...some beautiful imagery and a few sweet moments.
It drew you into the characters and why they were doing what they do, and more importantly made you care about wanting to learn more about what motivates them.

The only down sides I saw was two instances of 'questionable humor'....and the rather off putting title.
I realize it is the title of the book, but for Joe and Jane Average movie goer the title does not really tell you anything about the film or grab your curiosity.
Once you see the film however, the title comes to mean something after all and perfectly sums up the story.
I see the title alone perhaps 'confusing' people though.

Regardless, I thought it was a entertaining hour and a half.
They surprised us at the preview, revealing at the last minute we would be seeing the film in 3D which was great!
Several scenes had some handsome imagery and CGI effects that looked terrific in 3D.

Worth seeing if you like to experience a adolescent having a extraordinary adventure in a fantasy world, as well as real world escapades in extraordinary settings.
Also a dash of mild gross-out humor with a large serving of magical 'pixie dusted' yet pleasant moments.

Curious as what our UK friends think of this film....
Certain scenes made me think of how they might have reacted to it.

-

Last edited:

brb1006

I went to a preview two days before it was released nationally, and liked it.
A decent family film with a fun story and some interesting twists.
Had a lot going for it...some beautiful imagery and a few sweet moments.
It drew you into the characters and why they were doing what they do, and more importantly made you care about wanting to learn more about what motivates them.

The only down sides I saw was two instances of 'questionable humor'....and the rather off putting title.
I realize it is the title of the book, but for Joe and Jane Average movie goer the title does not really tell you anything about the film or grab your curiosity.
Once you see the film however, the title comes to mean something after all and perfectly sums up the story.
I see the title alone perhaps 'confusing' people though.

Regardless, I thought it was a entertaining hour and a half.
They surprised us at the preview, revealing at the last minute we would be seeing the film in 3D which was great!
Several scenes had some handsome imagery and CGI effects that looked terrific in 3D.

Worth seeing if you like to experience a adolescent having a extraordinary adventure in a fantasy world, as well as real world escapades in extraordinary settings.
Also a dash of mild gross-out humor with a large serving of magical 'pixie dusted' yet pleasant moments.

Curious as what our UK friends think of this film....
Certain scenes made me think of how they might have reacted to it.

-
You might also want to check out the 1989 animated version of The BFG which was one of the few films that Dahl actually liked that was based on his works.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom