Pre-Trip The Best Days Are Still Ahead Of Us - January 2016 | Pre-Trip Report

Hey guys! So this is my very first ever pre-trip report and will also be my very first trip report when the time comes so please bear with me as I try to figure things out. It will surely be an adventure, that's for sure.
------------------
A little background about how our trip came to be first and then I'll introduce the gang!

{How It Happened}
So earlier this Spring I was sitting at home dreaming of a vacation as my students were starting to get restless as the year started to come to a close (I am an afterschool teacher and I think we were just all ready for a little break). I had to search through the dozens of empty Dove chocolate wrappers that surrounded me on the bed (I told you those kids and I were ready for school to be over) to find my phone and I quickly dialed my Mother's number. "Mom", I pouted into the phone, "You know how it's been such a long time since we took a family vacation together, and I missed out on that last trip you guys took to Hawaii...", my voice trailed off. Pure silence on the other end. A huge knot formed in my throat as I grew nervous about the question, she didn't seem in the mood to hear about my vacation ideas at the moment, as she had previously turned down several other ideas about Cabo San Lucas and Aruba. "Well, I was thinking...what if, what if we went to Disney World? Giovanni and I could drive to save money and I...". "That was our favorite vacation when you and you were brother were little, I think we could do that!", my Mother cut me off. For a moment I couldn't breathe. Did she really just say yes? I stared blankly at the wall for a moment before responding, "Um, wait, really? Are you sure? And Giovanni can come too?". (For the record, Giovanni is my boyfriend of over two years) "We wouldn't go if he wasn't coming, Megan", she laughed. So it was final, we were going to Disney World, and all my dreams were coming true, I just couldn't believe it. Little did I know though, that I would be the one put in charge of the planning process. As my Mom put it, "You plan, we'll pay...I don't want to deal with that planning nightmare I dealt with when you two were kids." But I'll talk a little more about that later, we'll save that story for another time, because that certainly was quite the experience. Oh boy!

Now I need to introduce myself and my family (and Giovanni totally counts as part of the family! Or at least he might as well be part of it, my parents just adore him!)

{Family}
So funny thing...I actually don't have any updated photos of my entire family, so here's a photo of us at Epcot in 2000. (Don't worry, we'll for sure be getting and updated photo- or a hundred- when we visit WDW)
Mom [Karen], Dad [Bill], Me [Megan-24], Brother [Andrew-turning 21 while we visit]
gyQWNfQ.png

So obviously my little brother Andrew doesn't look very much like that anymore. I really wish I had an updated photo for you guys right now. But since I don't I'm going to have you guys try this...close your eyes...okay, did you do it? Okay great. Now, picture him at about 6'1" and with a full-on mountain man beard. Like left out in the wild for years...decades, without a razor. Or even picture Tom Hanks from Castaway without his companion Wilson. Now picture some glasses as well and you're good to go. That's Andrew. Unless he plans on shaving or something, but I feel that's pretty unlikely. He went all Gandalf on us as soon as he was able to start growing facial hair.
My parents look pretty much the same, they just don't wear their pants as high up on their waists and they look a little bit older (but don't tell my Mom I said that, okay? Please?! Tell her I said she doesn't look a day over 27. Okay, great).

Updated photo of Giovanni [24, going to be 25 during visit] and I (Fun fact: We love Korean food...we are planning a trip to Seoul, South Korea for 2017!)
PJ3pMyE.jpg

Giovanni is a professional videographer who will be making a little video of our vacation for my parents...I'm really excited to see what he is going to come up with and the reason for the title of this thread is because that is the song we have already picked for the video. "Ahead Of Us" by Tom Swoon, Lush & Simon.
When Giovanni creates and finishes the video I promise I'll share it with ya'll, but until then if you'd like to see what you're in store for, you can check out some of his work at his website:
www.giovannilazarini.com

{Trip Details}
Where: Walt Disney World, Orlando Florida - Port Orleans Riverside Resort
When: January 8-13, 2016
Why: Vacation and my brother's 21st birthday!

Stay tuned for the fun details all about my Disney planning nightmare! ;D
I do have to go to work now...we have a field trip with my summer camp students today and I get to go play with all kinds of fun science experiments, so hopefully I'll have enough energy to come write a little later. If I don't, I'll come write you guys this weekend, I promise! I'll at least stop by to come check comments- if there are any :eek: !

Last edited:

StarfishAndStingrays

Original Poster
Thank you guys for your comments! Sorry I didn't end up visiting yesterday...the field trip ended up totally draining my energy, yikes! It was certainly a looooong day!

But yes, the planning as been a lot of fun, once I finally got the swing of things! The only other vacation I had ever planned was cruises, and that never included airfare, so I had a lot to learn with this Disney vacation! It has been fun and I'm looking forward to sharing the details with you guys soon! :)

Last edited:

StarfishAndStingrays

Original Poster
Okay so the moment you've been waiting for...the story of how all the planning went down!
Prepare for some moments of laughter, plenty of tears, several frustrating situations where I almost threw the phone and laptop against the wall and of course the best part- the moment where everything finally came together and it hit me...WE'RE GOING TO DISNEY WORLD!

Part One | My Name Is Megan And I'm A Plan-aholic

The moment I got off the phone with my Mother I began to plan- without any real knowledge of when we'd be going or where we'd be staying or any realistic expectations of a budget. I just HAD to get started. $57,000 for 6 days at Disney for 5? Pfft, sure, why not- sounds reasonable enough. I did mock bookings for each of the 12 months of the year and at all of the Disney resorts that existed, including some off-property hotels. I included some air-fare in these mock-bookings and even added in transportation-because, just in case-despite being fully aware of the Magical Express while staying at a Disney resort. I planned for days and days and covered every scenario I could think of. I covered the highest budget imaginable and lowest budget. So when it was time to call my Mother again a few weeks later to discuss our Disney plans, I was completely prepared...or so I thought.

"So Mom, I have done some research, and...", I began. "Now wait, I know exactly what I think I want to do, Megan", she interrupted. I sighed- after all that blood, sweat and tears I used to plan this dang vacation she already had a plan and couldn't have emailed it to me sooner? "Okay Mom, give it to me..." I said reluctantly, a little sad that I wasn't going to get to run my 362 options by her. "Well, I was thinking that we should stay at a Disney resort and that we should go in January when it isn't very busy. I want to go when you and your brother aren't in school, but when the younger kids are back in school. Oh, and we'll be flying of course". I waited for her continue with the details, but she didn't. "Um, uh, okay...so, right, but which Disney resort, Mom? And when in January? What dates? And what airline exactly? I mean, when you said you knew exactly what you want to do...well, I was expecting more of a plan I guess", I rubbed my temples with my thumbs and shook my head gently as if she could see my frustration from over the phone. "I don't know, what do you think?" she mumbled. At this point I wanted to pull out all my hair. I was glad that I would finally get to voice my opinion, as I was the one put in charge of the planning after all, but I just knew that the minute I suggested something it was going to be the 'Nah, what about...' discussion that would take place for the next two or so days. If I was lucky I may be able to escape before lunch. I took a deep breath before starting in, "One resort I really liked was Port Orleans Riverside. It's really beautiful, Mom. I honestly think you'd love it. You can even take a little boat to Downtown Disney. And the rooms are just so cute with the theme and everything". I swallowed big, ready to have one of my favorite resort options turned down...why in the world did I bring my favorite option up first just to be shot down? It was nice knowing you POR..."That one looks really nice, yeah okay, let's go with that one. We're going to need two separate rooms" she replied. I didn't even question her this time, I didn't want to put any doubts in her mind at all so I just happily wrote down that Port Orleans Riverside was a definite GO and moved on to our next topic- when in January we'd be taking over Disney World.

Stay tuned, Part Two will be posted very soon! And thanks for reading :)

StarfishAndStingrays

Original Poster
Part Two | "It's The Most Marathon Time Of The Year!"

*Click* the phone call suddenly ended. What the?... Did my Mom seriously just hang up on me? Did she get cold feet? Are all my dreams going to come to an end? Bye bye POR and Mickey Mouse shaped ice cream bars, oh and those sweet, sweet Dole Whips...
I frantically dialed her number back and impatiently waited through the rings for her to pick up. "Hello?", she answered casually. "Hello? Yeah, what happened? Why did you hang up?" I stuttered back at her. "Hang up? I didn't hang up? What are you talking about? Didn't you hang up?" she replied. "No Mom, I didn't hang up on you. It must have just been an accident or a dropped call or something. It's okay, let's just keep going...", "You accidentally hung up on me?", "Ugh, no Mom, it's okay, let's just keep going...we were talking about January...", "But did you hang up on me? What happened?", "Mom, it's okay, it probably was just a dropped call it's fine. Let's just keep going because we need to confirm the dates we will be going". If you can't tell already, I'm about to pull my hair out again at this point...I love the woman, but let's yell at AT&T later! Finally I got her on track again, after she went on for about 5 minutes about how we wasted X amount of dollars per month on them just to receive less than desirable service, blah blah blah...
"So yeah, I was thinking since you wanted to go when Andrew and I were out of school, but when the younger kids were back in school, we could leave January 8th and return sometime the next week depending on the number of nights you guys plan on staying" I informed her. "Okay that sounds pretty good. How about we return on Wednesday the 13th?" she said. "Alright, I'll write those dates down and I think we can make that work with Park Hopper tickets" I replied. "Park Hopper tickets?" she questioned. Oh crap, here we go, we're going to get off topic again. "Um, I'll explain that later, let's just stay focused here, okay? I promise you that we'll get to that though...", "No what is Park Hopper? It sounds exciting!", "Well okay, so when you purchase your park tickets you have the option of adding on something called Park Hopper so that you can go to more than one Disney park per day". "You can't already do that?" she replied, confused. "Well, no...when you purchase the tickets you can only visit one park per day, so by purchasing the Park Hopper option you are able to visit as many parks per day as you want". "So we could visit all four parks in one day?!" she said, excitedly. "Well, yeah...but, I mean, I don't think we'd want to really do that...", "I know I was just saying...", "Okay Mom, so anyway yeah, that is what Park Hopper is," I said trying to end the Park Hopper discussion and get back on task. "Well how many ticket days are we purchasing then?" she asked. Alright, I realized now we were done with the travel dates and hotel room and I was going to be forced to move on in this discussion. "I figured we should just go ahead and purchase 6-day tickets, that way we can get in as much time at the parks as possible" I let her know. "Okay great, sounds good" she replied. I was glad to know that she seemed to trust my planning at this point. So far so good, I was hoping this pattern continued throughout the trip.
With our dates written in stone (thanks to my Mother) and our ticket number of days planned, we were ready to book our flights and get the ball rolling.

The only thing I hadn't realized is that during the time we will be taking over Disney World, so will several other people...several other people in New Balances and running shorts. Yep, that's right...we picked dates during Marathon Weekend without any clue whatsoever that we'd be attending during that time. I'm a little nervous, as I know the traffic may be a little higher during that time but I'm also curious to see what it's like during a typically lower crowd-level time at Disney with a big event going on. For the most part I think we'll be OK, but it'll definitely be interesting to see what happens. I'm just glad we won't be there for the New Years crowd.

Stay tuned for Part Three, and once again- Thanks for reading! :)

StarfishAndStingrays

Original Poster
Off to a great start. Love the conversations with your mom! "Now what is Park Hopper? That sounds exciting!" I love it!!! Looking forward to reading about the rest of your plans.
Thank you so much for reading! :)
Oh yes, she certainly always made things interesting and loved to question just about everything. Just wait until I start on the part about the flights, she couldn't even handle it-she kept trying to pass it off for my Father to deal with. It was quite comical. I'm excited to share it with you guys!

StarfishAndStingrays

Original Poster
Also $57,000? Pleas tell me that's a mistake :eek::eek::eek::eek:
Hehe...I think that was for a suite at Kidani Village or something with all these add-on's and first class seating on the plane and what-not. I wanted to play a trick on her and tell her that's the plan I came up with and see her reaction. I did tell her about that and if I remember right all she said was "Are you sure you added that up right? You were never very good in math, honey". Hehe xD

LauraRose

Hehe...I think that was for a suite at Kidani Village or something with all these add-on's and first class seating on the plane and what-not. I wanted to play a trick on her and tell her that's the plan I came up with and see her reaction. I did tell her about that and if I remember right all she said was "Are you sure you added that up right? You were never very good in math, honey". Hehe xD

Oh good gracious hahaha you had my heart frozen! No pun intended

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom