The Animal Kingdom "Dinosaurs" attraction that never was

EpcotServo

Nice painting, and shows the similarities between the Dino track layout and Indiana Jones. That scene is the equivalent to the "bridge over the fire pit" scene in Indy.

Of course...we didn't even get the cool dino version, much less the awesome Indy version.:rolleyes:

Yeah, everytime I see that bit of art it reminds me of how much Empty Space there is below the bridge area, because it's the same layout at Indy, so all that lava space down there has nothing...

I don't find that "odd" at all. We sort of live in a vacuum here on WDWMagic sometimes, where nearly everyone carries on about how "awesome" Expedition Everest is. But out in the real world, quite a lot of people find the ride pretty boring.

picture.php

tirian

Forget about the CTX art; I'm drooling over the labyrinth. I still get excited every time I see this exact same BK concept artwork over and over. :lol:

Rob562

Brontasaurus?

The computer on the ride identifies it as a "Sauropod".

Sauropods are actually an entire class of dinosaur, which includes Brontosaurus (now called Apatosaurus), Brachiosaurus and Diplodocus.

I'm not sure what specific species appears in the ride.

-Rob

agent86

I've ridden Expedition Everest quite a few times in the last year...not once have I heard reactions of disappointment or boredom.

Well I've never heard 9 out of 10 dentists tell me that they prefer Trident gum, but that doesn't make the claim suddenly false. In other words, just because you haven't personally heard the comments, doesn't mean it's not true. It just means you haven't personally heard it...simple as that.

That being said, I can tell you that I've personally heard a LOT more negative remarks about Everest than positive ones, but just like you I'm only one person who just happened to be there within earshot when the remarks were being made. Consequently, my experience is no more statistically valid than yours.

But all that aside, the vast majority of unbiased comments and reviews (outside of hardcore Disney fan sites such as this one) regarding Everest are generally not flattering toward the ride.

agent86

Do not open that can of worms again. This topic is for CTX/Dinosaur, not EE.

Surely in the 2 1/2 years that you've been a member of these forums, this isn't the first time you've seen someone post a comment that deviated slightly from what's written in the thread title. Not to mention, my remark was actually in response to another poster who brought up Everest...so it seems odd that you'd direct the complaint specifically at me. :veryconfu

And why do I suspect somehow that if my response had been something to the effect of, "What?? Your daughter doesn't appreciate Everest for the awesome ride that it is?? That's crazy! Everest is the best ride ever!"... you wouldn't have had an issue with my "opening that can of worms". :rolleyes:

agent86

Sauropods are actually an entire class of dinosaur, which includes Brontosaurus (now called Apatosaurus), Brachiosaurus and Diplodocus.

-Rob

Wow! You're either REALLY into dinosaurs, and possess abundant knowledge about them off the top of your head....

...or you went to Wikipedia and typed in "brontosaurus". :lol:

goodtimes5286

Beastly Kingdom and LC are not even close to each other.

Look at the site on the first page, and you'll see the concept art for BK. Yea, they're both centered around myths, but that's where the similarities end.

A dragon themed hanging coaster, a unicorn coaster, both ideas for beastly kingdom, i wish i knew where the link was but someone gave me this link to a HUGE article to everything about BK, and its def a fact that w/o BK there never would have been a LC, the imageneers took there plans from here :wave: and went to universal and were like "hey take a look!" :lookaroun The exec's were like :eek:.

just lookin at art doesnt tell you the tale of what happened behind the scenes.....

-Rob
OMG thats my FAV dino on the ride (but jus b/c the computer says it funny), and right after the comp says that dr.? is like "ok locking on our dino NOW!" (ish something like that).

is it true that dinosaur (when it was countdown to extinction) was faster and crazier? i cant remember b/c it was so long ago and i was like 9

SirGoofy

A dragon themed hanging coaster, a unicorn coaster, both ideas for beastly kingdom, i wish i knew where the link was but someone gave me this link to a HUGE article to everything about BK, and its def a fact that w/o BK there never would have been a LC, the imageneers took there plans from here :wave: and went to universal and were like "hey take a look!" :lookaroun The exec's were like :eek:.

just lookin at art doesnt tell you the tale of what happened behind the scenes.....

Again, not true. I didn't get my info from art. While some Imagineers that were laid off after DAK was complete did go and work for Universal Creative to help complete IOA, Lost Continent was always planned for the park. It may not have been the quality it is today w/o them, but it still would have been there.

Dragon Tower and Dueling Dragons are similar only in that they were coasters. DT would have been mostly indoors, with show scenes and a HUGE AA dragon, and a queue that would have had giant AA bats. Sure DD has a great queue, but the ride itself is not comparable to DT.

And the Unicorn attraction for Beastly Kingdomme was going to be an interactive, uber-themed maze, not a coaster. Plus, the Flying Unicorn was not an original attraction.

Rob562

Wow! You're either REALLY into dinosaurs, and possess abundant knowledge about them off the top of your head....

...or you went to Wikipedia and typed in "brontosaurus". :lol:

I typed in "sauropod" because I remember that from the ride audio, but yes. :lol:

-Rob

bluetrain84

Newly-registered person here (not new to reading the forums, just new to being a member)! I am FINALLY returning to WDW next week after a 6 year absence, is what used to be Countdown to Extinction drastically different? :-( I tried searching the forum to find out more about Dinosaur vs Countdown to Extinction but couldn't find anything. This used to be one of my favorite rides at AK, is it a letdown now?

Thanks!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
No. Dinosaur is virtually the same as you`d remember CTX as being, though CTX did become Dino before your last visit. Some visual FX are sadly absent since the ride opened though (all the lasers and vortex pyro for example)

Cmdr_Crimson

No. Dinosaur is virtually the same as you`d remember CTX as being, though CTX did become Dino before your last visit. Some visual FX are sadly absent since the ride opened though (all the lasers and vortex pyro for example)

I was just watching this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIwvhaHLYes
CTX looks better than Dinosaur although a few lines changed and other stuff..it looks good...Wish I had to ride it before the redo

Rob562

I was just watching this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIwvhaHLYes
CTX looks better than Dinosaur although a few lines changed and other stuff..it looks good...Wish I had to ride it before the redo

Wow. I hadn't seen that before. That dialog is pretty darn cheesy in places. I'm glad they re-did them (though the lines do explain a couple things that aren't obvious in the current ride, like the rover getting hit by a mini meteor after the raptors, which kills the rover's external lights).

Oh, and you might want to go in and check your URL... It doesn't work without a little editing. This is the correct URL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIwvhaHLYes

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom