The American Idol Experience - reviews!

expedition_evan

im going to WDW in easter and planning to audition, and i have a few questions about the show

1. are the song choices just disney songs?
2. if a person auditions and doesn't win, can they come back to try again another day?

Chape19714

1- No, there's a wide variety of songs to choose from, from most genras and generations. Disney songs are included in the selection, but they're just a small part of what's available.

2-Not Sure.

EpcotServo

Today while I was there, there was a LOT of signs of a sneek preview from opening until 1, but none to be seen for me. Perhaps they opened up later, I'll never know.
:shrug:

If you're a wee bit squeamish towards this show (or were offended at the lack of WDW Midway Mania Merch), I suggest you tune away from the Update I'll put up later, as it contains graphic images of rampant American Idol merchandise.

I'm not the biggest detractor of this ride, but I have to say I was actually offended at the amount of things they have for sale.

(To give a taste, no pun intended, they actually have AMERICAN IDOL EXPERIENCE LIP BALM. )

:dazzle:

EPCOT Explorer

Today while I was there, there was a LOT of signs of a sneek preview from opening until 1, but none to be seen for me. Perhaps they opened up later, I'll never know.
:shrug:

If you're a wee bit squeamish towards this show (or were offended at the lack of WDW Midway Mania Merch), I suggest you tune away from the Update I'll put up later, as it contains graphic images of rampant American Idol merchandise.

I'm not the biggest detractor of this ride, but I have to say I was actually offended at the amount of things they have for sale.

(To give a taste, no pun intended, they actually have AMERICAN IDOL EXPERIENCE LIP BALM. )

:dazzle:
Good God.:zipit:

SoccerMickey

I went to the 1pm show and the finale show on Wednesday of the Cast Previews. The 1pm had a flamboyant extremely young Disney entertainment cast member, a 52-year old custodial cast member, and a young girl from High School Musical. And I have to say the custodial cast member, who won both the 1pm show and the finale stole the show! He was having such a good time up there compared to the boy who seemed very nervous and unsure to the girl who missed a lot of her notes. The show itself, is what it is...karaoke...right down to the words on the screen in the back of the theatre.
The lighting and the sound of the theatre are EXCELLENT and its really hard to get the American Idol theme song out of your head while leaving the theatre.
Questions I have are will the typical day guests tolerate someone criticizing the talent on stage like Simon Cowell. In this day and age of stage mothers that will be very interesting. Also once the show starts will they use the same jokes and video clips for the finale show as they do for the regular shows throughout the day? The Ryan Seacrest video at the beginning of each show was different but the "congratulations" video to the winner was the same. The warm up guy, the host, and the judges all used the same jokes too.
Its great to see former Adventurers Club performers working in a high profile job again and some really had fun with the role of judge, however the one female who said she was formerly with Tarzan Rocks and another one who was supposed to be the "Paula" judge was a little off in terms of feedback and trying to come up with clever things to say. I realize that these were just tests and they haven't found their comfort level with the script yet but these are equity performers.
The show is entertaining enough, whether or not it belongs in a theme park, still not sure about that...but its definitely a good diversion for guests waiting for their Toy Story Mania fast pass time window to come or your priority seating. Especially in a park with 2 attractions down and one attraction closing at 3pm!??! The seats in the theatre are really comfy too.

lightboy

Let me just say, unimpressed. Cheap looking set. Terribly boring show and I was at the cast finale today. Cute for the first few minutes then just gets repetitive and boring with an anticlimactic ending.
No way will people take this finale as a good substitute for fantasmic. But I did like the jab one contestant gave a judge from adventurers club.

I have a few responses to this. Many of your personal comments on the show...sure, why not. You're entitled.

BUT...
Cheap looking set? Disney had the same set designer that designed the real American Idol sets design theirs. In fact, the construction is 10x better as it has to be used as a full-time set 365 days a year. Not a backdrop that gets torn down after each season. Minus a few things in the setpiece that were cut for simply the dimensions of SuperStar TV Theater (height and the moving video screen)...it's an identical looking set.

Plus, many other people have thought it was amazing. So, not exactly sure what you were expecting. Solid gold? It's a setpiece. It matches what is on television (and actually looks nicer)...therefore, it serves its purpose.

And one more time...
Really sick and tired of hearing this.

American Idol IS NOT a replacement "finale" for Fantasmic! THERE ARE NO NIGHTLY FINALES/SPECTACULARS AT DISNEY'S HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS THE NIGHTS THAT FANTASMIC IS DARK. They are unrelated. Get over it. Seriously.

SoccerMickey

American Idol IS NOT a replacement "finale" for Fantasmic! THERE ARE NO NIGHTLY FINALES/SPECTACULARS AT DISNEY'S HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS THE NIGHTS THAT FANTASMIC IS DARK. They are unrelated. Get over it. Seriously.

Is it a replacement for Illuminations then? :ROFLOL:

teebin

but what's it actually LIKE?

Like ok now I know that CM's are the judges (because I thought they would have like wax figures of the 3 judges and depending on how good you sung, there would be pre-recorded voices, from the real judges, so u felt like you were on the actual show...... in retrospect that's kinda creapy), but what else?

Like when I went it looked like while you were waiting in line outside, you could see the person singing on T.V. could you hear them? Also what's the inside like? I bet they tried to model it after a couple locations, but like what's it actually LIKE? It looked like it might be the same type of building structure as RnRC (pre-show of course)

Details plez....

What is this deal with starting a sentence with "like". I thought that went out in 1989. Wasn't that a valley girl thing?

I would recommend:

Ok now I know that CM's are the judges...

From the outside line, it looked as if...

and it is spelled "please".

Like, I completely, have no respect for like, people that like, have no interest in like, constructing like, a reasonably decent sentence... like, a proper one. I instead focus on their apparent ignorance and/or laziness and move on to the next post.

smk

what is this deal with starting a sentence with "like". I thought that went out in 1989. Wasn't that a valley girl thing?

I would recommend:

Ok now i know that cm's are the judges...

From the outside line, it looked as if...

and it is spelled "please".

Like, i completely, have no respect for like, people that like, have no interest in like, constructing like, a reasonably decent sentence... Like, a proper one. I instead focus on their apparent ignorance and/or laziness and move on to the next post.
Ouch, next post please.....

I have a few responses to this. Many of your personal comments on the show...sure, why not. You're entitled.

BUT...
Cheap looking set? Disney had the same set designer that designed the real American Idol sets design theirs. In fact, the construction is 10x better as it has to be used as a full-time set 365 days a year. Not a backdrop that gets torn down after each season. Minus a few things in the setpiece that were cut for simply the dimensions of SuperStar TV Theater (height and the moving video screen)...it's an identical looking set.

Plus, many other people have thought it was amazing. So, not exactly sure what you were expecting. Solid gold? It's a setpiece. It matches what is on television (and actually looks nicer)...therefore, it serves its purpose.

And one more time...
Really sick and tired of hearing this.

Stumpy u crack me up.

disnyfan89

Also what is GAM?

It stands for Green Army Man. :wave:
im going to WDW in easter and planning to audition, and i have a few questions about the show

2. if a person auditions and doesn't win, can they come back to try again another day?

I don't remember 100% but I think the breakdown goes like this:

You are allowed to audition once per day everyday unless you move on to the producer. Once you have seen the producer you are not allowed to audition for another six months. If you are an actual contestant on stage you cannot audition for another year. I forget if there is any rules regarding if you win the "Dream Ticket."

Hope that helps. :wave:

Captain Hank

I don't remember 100% but I think the breakdown goes like this:

You are allowed to audition once per day everyday unless you move on to the producer. Once you have seen the producer you are not allowed to audition for another six months. If you are an actual contestant on stage you cannot audition for another year. I forget if there is any rules regarding if you win the "Dream Ticket."

Hope that helps. :wave:
Not totally correct. Guests can only audition once per day. If they make it past the 2nd audition and sing on stage, then they can't audition for 30 days. If a Guest is voted best in the show and goes on to compete in the finale show, they can't audition for a full year.

If, for example, you audition and make it to the producers but aren't selected to sing in a show, you can still come back the next day and re-audition. However, you aren't guaranteed to make it past the first audition, even though you did on the previous day.

MousDad

If, for example, you audition and make it to the producers but aren't selected to sing in a show, you can still come back the next day and re-audition. However, you aren't guaranteed to make it past the first audition, even though you did on the previous day.

That's when the 10-day MYW ticket will come in handy. :lol:

kcnole

Are there any plans to actually film idol live at this location like they did with millionaire from time to time? If they would bring the show down to DHS and actually do it live then that could make this a very cool addition. I'm not sure they could really do the final 12 or whatever it is there since it seems there's no room for a live band there, but maybe some of the earlier shows in the season could be filmed there.

lightboy

Are there any plans to actually film idol live at this location like they did with millionaire from time to time? If they would bring the show down to DHS and actually do it live then that could make this a very cool addition. I'm not sure they could really do the final 12 or whatever it is there since it seems there's no room for a live band there, but maybe some of the earlier shows in the season could be filmed there.

Bringing the whole show to DHS for a show or two? I'd venture to say that won't be happening. Not like millionaire.

Without hearing anything official or confirmed...I think there's an extremely high chance of something being taped or done live. Like segments or cuts.

Captain Hank

I went and saw it in Cast previews today. While I'm not an American Idol fan by any means, and I didn't enter with high expectations, I still found it enjoyable. Not "great," but "good" at least. I can see how a lot would depend on the Guest talent. Thankfully, my show (2:00) had three very good people. Though one was better than the other two, they all did very well. It was surprisingly lightly attended, with about 150 or so people in the theater.

As others have said, the set was very impressive, as was the lighting design. There were great pains taken to make it feel like a real film shoot--even more than LMAX or Indy. The judges were pretty good, though you could tell that some of their comments were scripted. I didn't recognize anyone as being from the Adventurers Club, though I think one was from Comedy Warehouse. The host was okay, though just a little "wooden." There were lots of clips interspersed in the show from previous AI winners, offering advice and words of encouragement to the contestants. Some of them were mildly painful (IMO), particularly those from a younger AI guy--kinda clueless on the name, though from the crowd reaction, he's pretty well-known. There was also audience participation during a pre-recorded music video that was filmed in DHS. I think my favorite part was watching the judges interacting amongst themselves during performances or the interludes.

All-in-all, I'd say that this is a pretty decent attraction. I'm sure that American Idol fans will love it, and even those that aren't may enjoy it. I'm sure it'll improve as kinks are worked out and the Cast gets more comfortable in their roles. I'll probably pop in from time to time, but it's certainly not an every-time attraction for me. But, hey, it's a whole heck of a lot better than an empty building!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom