The American Idol Experience - reviews!

mansionfan84

Is this attraction filling the space left by Who Wants to Be a Millionaire: Play It!? I loved that attraction. Still have 2 32,000 point polo shirts hanging in my closet :)

imamouse

^^ Toy Story Mania went into the old Millionaire space. American Idol is in the ABC Theater (Super Star Television used to be in there years ago).

Thelazer

Just wait till you have 3 lackluster disney park GUESTS performing.:(

Look I'm all for new stuff.
I'm just not so sure this is really going to go over all that well.....

Todays show had 3 lackluster Disney employees performing. I'm guessing by their talent that the judges didn't have much to choose from.

raven

Just wait till you have 3 lackluster disney park GUESTS performing.:(

Look I'm all for new stuff.
I'm just not so sure this is really going to go over all that well.....

I'm right with you. I think they kind of missed the mark on this one. American Idol was HUGE when it started. Now that it's been around for several years the hype has worn down. I'm sure it takes years of planning for attractions but it seems this one might have come too late.

I'm guessing merchandise will be sold outside of the attraction. Maybe they could sell some official American Idol ear plugs. :brick:

hokielutz

It was alright. The show depends on the talent casted. I went in with an open mind, and was entertained. Much better than sounds dangerous. It needs a bit of tweeking, but all and all, not bad. I think fans of the show will love it, and others, like myself, will be sorta mid-range on their ratings. The judges definately save the show...mostly because they're actually pretty funny. (many are former Pleasure Island comedians).

Good to hear on the last point... those performers are really quick on their feet, and when you have contestants with unknown personalities, you need someone reliable to keep things entertaining.

kc1296426

AIE is still in its 'testing' mode and is not the final product... trust me, it will get better in time. Just like the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor, that show I thought was a total bust too when it first came out but over time it progressed to be a better show because they really fine tuned it and figured out what's better and what's not.

Please don't judge this attraction on one first look and try, try it once in previews and once again when it's finally open, and maybe once at a later time. The show will get better, and it's a great addition to the Studios in my opinion. :wave:

EpcotServo

AIE is still in its 'testing' mode and is not the final product... trust me, it will get better in time. Just like the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor, that show I thought was a total bust too when it first came out but over time it progressed to be a better show because they really fine tuned it and figured out what's better and what's not.

Please don't judge this attraction on one first look and try, try it once in previews and once again when it's finally open, and maybe once at a later time. The show will get better, and it's a great addition to the Studios in my opinion. :wave:

The problem isn't the show around the show, it's the TALENT that's in question. And without real good singing, I can't see every show being as meaty as they should be.

We'll see. Whatever happens, happens.

nanna

Original Poster
I thought the winner of the 11am show was very good. Lackluster? If some great voices!!

I agree about it having a more old MGM studios feel to it.

Next 2 days there will be no previews, with another 2 days of cast member previews after that.

raven

I thought the winner of the 11am show was very good.

The judge named Randy put it best: "Who would pay to see him perform? The only musical theatre I would expect to see him at is one that sold steaks." (a steak house)

The song he sang, Go The Distance, was too complicated for his voice. He was consistantly off pitch to a point that 2 of the judges kinked their heads while he tried to sing the higher notes. Since the original AI has proved to be more of a popularity contest than an actual talent competition, Disney has followed the same path. The guy had charm in his smile and eyes which caused the audience to forgive his lack of talent. Not me.

I would have rather voted points on each persons performance rather than just voting for who I thought was the best. I think that outcome would have been different in that case.

Chape19714

Any insider info on maybe times they may do soft open previews? After the Block Party bash maybe?
It won't be announced until that day, just like all soft openings, if it opens at all. Grand opening isn't set until Feb 14.

It would be more likely to be before as all of the GAMs in Block Party are the barkers in the que line.

Not True, there are others that can do the pre-show intro. And not all GAM are involved in AI.

Einselen

It won't be announced until that day, just like all soft openings, if it opens at all. Grand opening isn't set until Feb 14.

I understand that nothing is concrete, but I know there are tips, for example MILF was to swing by after the 3 PM parade (BTW what time is the 3PM parade?), etc. That is why I thought maybe after BPB as crowds will be standing right there.

disnyfan89

I understand that nothing is concrete, but I know there are tips, for example MILF was to swing by after the 3 PM parade (BTW what time is the 3PM parade?), etc. That is why I thought maybe after BPB as crowds will be standing right there.
See my above post!

Edit: Saving this review for later since we're not supposed to share yet.

Let me just say, unimpressed. Cheap looking set. Terribly boring show and I was at the cast finale today. Cute for the first few minutes then just gets repetitive and boring with an anticlimactic ending.
No way will people take this finale as a good substitute for fantasmic. But I did like the jab one contestant gave a judge from adventurers club.

disnyfan89

Edit: Saving this review for later since we're not supposed to share yet.

Let me just say, unimpressed. Cheap looking set. Terribly boring show and I was at the cast finale today. Cute for the first few minutes then just gets repetitive and boring with an anticlimactic ending.
No way will people take this finale as a good substitute for fantasmic. But I did like the jab one contestant gave a judge from adventurers club.

American Idol was never meant to be a replacement for Fant! despite what other rumors you might have read!

Also, while everyone is entitled to their own opinion, IMO the American Idol stage is a work of art and amazingly complex. You can tell a lot of hard work went into the design and construction of the stage. My favorite part is the fact that all the lights and non-manned cameras automatically follow the performer on stage thanks in part to a tracking device worn by the contestant. Fun fact about the AIE stage: The main screen located in the center of the stage is the only one of it's kind besides the screen on the actual American Idol show!

Einselen

Also, while everyone is entitled to their own opinion, IMO the American Idol stage is a work of art and amazingly complex. You can tell a lot of hard work went into the design and construction of the stage. My favorite part is the fact that all the lights and non-manned cameras automatically follow the performer on stage thanks in part to a tracking device worn by the contestant. Fun fact about the AIE stage: The main screen located in the center of the stage is the only one of it's kind besides the screen on the actual American Idol show!

I agree with you on this. I did the Passholder Tour and my jaw dropped at the stage. Also the tracking system is cool, really helps since a good portion of the people will not be use to performing on a stage with camera and lights following them. The stage is also done to be "green" or at least more energy efficient but it also still looks amazing and like the real set. Hopefully this weekend I will maybe catch a soft opening (not going to wait around as I need to get a lot of video footage from all 4 parks) but if I just happen to be in the studios I will be checking to see if anything is going on.

Also what is GAM?

pjammer

I was pretty impressed. The stage looks amazing and has potential to be used years and years from now after AI is dead. The show itself was done well. It felt very AI and like a live taping.

I miss the old Studios day when you go watch live taping of Wheel of Fortune or Jeopardy or MMC. I can also see the appeal of the finale show. After watching my preview show, I kinda thought about how if the contestant I voted for and saw was good, I would want to see if they won the last show. Even if it just standing outside at the jumbotron for the last minutes of the show.

The flow of the show was stale at moments but it was just a technical rehearsal and I could see obvious glitches here and there, things I am sure they will work through with time. I am really curious to go and watch the show with actual guest to see how they react to it. All in all it should be interesting. Definitely shouldn't be a flop, but has great potential to be a hit.

EDIT:
I wanted to add after reading some of the other post that I think that finding good talent for this show might not be to hard. Florida, esp South Florida has alot of aspiring musician/artist in it. And combined with the FOYB offer, I couldn't think of a reason why some of them might not make the trip to DHS since they don't have to pay to get and try to audition for the Golden Ticket for an AI audition. The sad thing is that only time will tell.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom