The 60th Anniversary of Disneyland: The Reality of it All

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
Well, they usually go overboard about everything. Haha

And also, no one in that discussion even saw the name tag by the sound of it.

Eric The Disnerd

It's all open. We went on Splash and Winnie, and I got the peanut butter cookie from Pooh Corner. Boy have I missed that.

Splash looks alright. I mean, recently I was watching retro videos of Splash back in the day and everything looked a lot better. It just seems like it's crappier nowadays and, really, it is. They did fix certain things that hadn't been functioning for a while, but it's mostly just stupid things, like little things. But these stupid little things add up. I'm referring to things such as the lights on the wall next to the first Brer Fox and Brer Bear that shows the landscape. That was just dark for the longest time because they couldn't replace the light bulbs? What? Or, spinning bees in the honey pot. Why was that broken for so long? Brer Rabbit goes back and forth on his little thingy now, but it's only a matter of time before that and other things are broken. Numerous figures still don't move, such as the frogs in the goose scene or the little dudes hanging from above. It seems those will always be broken, but really, these are hardly the most advanced figures. They barely move! Can they at least do their minimal movement, Disney? The laughing place looked good though and it's nice to see the lights on the Zip-A-Dee Lady blinking again.

The best part of the whole thing was in the queue line where you can see Brer Rabbit at the end of the ride through the window and some punk kid yelled "spoilers!" I don't know, I found it hilarious.

Pooh looks exactly the same as it did before the closure, as though it was just sitting dormant. And I'm sure it was. But I mean, they could have at least repainted the heffalump scene.
Yeah I guess there would be no major changes at all. What I guess you're saying is SM and WTP need a major renovation? I agree 100% because whenever I go on the ride, something is messed up like you said. Although, if you put yourself in Disney's shoes, would you really take the 1,000 or so bucks to fix a little tiny screw up in a ride? I don't know how big this renovation was but it seems like a waste.

GiveMeTheMusic

The musical acts at Disneyland will multiply in performances, and the Disneyland Band will perform new music, starting July 17th, Disneyland's birthday.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...panding-at-disneyland-park-beginning-july-17/

This is an interesting development. It looks like the current long time members of the Disneyland Band are being relegated to their small groups (Pearly Band, Firehouse, etc.) and a new group will become the actual Disneyland Band.

Not sure this is a good thing, but I guess we'll see.

TP2000

This is an interesting development. It looks like the current long time members of the Disneyland Band are being relegated to their small groups (Pearly Band, Firehouse, etc.) and a new group will become the actual Disneyland Band.

Yes, this is interesting. One of the comments on the Parks Blog was concerned about the All-American College Band, but they are still returning for 2015 according to their official Facebook page. That band disappeared from WDW over a decade ago but still lives on in fabulous splendor every summer at Disneyland. Phew!

Now I'm going to tip-toe very carefully into this next comment...

As for the Disneyland Band, I would not be opposed to shaking things up and getting some new blood in there. They appear to all be very talented musicians, and their performances are always spot-on musically. And yet... there's just no spring in their step, no sparkle, no energy in their presentation. It's all very robotic and transactional to them when you watch their performance. And it's not due to age, because while some of the band members are older gentlemen, some are younger and appear middle-aged.

If there's a plan to spruce up the Disneyland Band for the 60th, I'm all for it.

Sage of Time

Perhaps they're just hiring more people? That sounds like a good move.

George Lucas on a Bench

Are the little hanging dudes actually there now (the ones right before the inside drop)? They've been MIA for at least a few years now it seems! So if they are actually there at all that's a huge plus.

Also your review of Pooh is completely counter to what I've read elsewhere. Someone else said it all looks sparkly brand new inside. I will have to check it out and see for myself!

Also... speaking of MIA, anyone know what's up with the donkey from Pirates along with one of the chasing couples earlier in the ride? Both have been missing since at least the holidays now. The self-playing piano was too around the same time, but that finally showed up a month or so ago.

I'm telling you, Pooh looks exactly the same as it did prior to the closure. Actually, the floating Pooh pepper's ghost thing wasn't working. Eh, whatever, it's just a mediocre dark ride made 100% better by the complete lack of a line virtually always and the peanut butter cookies after you ride.

Those characters missing from Pirates have been gone for a while. Unfortunately, it's the way DL does refurbs of AAs, but most times it doesn't really make any sense. We're talking figures with very limited range of movement. I remember a couple years ago, the deaf guy was missing from the Haunted Mansion graveyard for almost the entire year and he barely even moves. I understand replacing skins and wardrobes or whatever, but I feel like the length of time these characters or elements are missing is certainly dubious.

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
WDW News has a picture of what the new 60 year anniversary name tags are going to look like.
https://twitter.com/*****/status/583311814190043136

Thanks! Seeing it again, I definitely like it more. This is a higher res of what I saw this morning. Not too over the top, and the sparkles will hopefully look good in person.

I was told that the diamond in the D may be a faux diamond gem and not just printed on. Just a rumor going around.

Last edited:

GiveMeTheMusic

Yes, this is interesting. One of the comments on the Parks Blog was concerned about the All-American College Band, but they are still returning for 2015 according to their official Facebook page. That band disappeared from WDW over a decade ago but still lives on in fabulous splendor every summer at Disneyland. Phew!

Now I'm going to tip-toe very carefully into this next comment...

As for the Disneyland Band, I would not be opposed to shaking things up and getting some new blood in there. They appear to all be very talented musicians, and their performances are always spot-on musically. And yet... there's just no spring in their step, no sparkle, no energy in their presentation. It's all very robotic and transactional to them when you watch their performance. And it's not due to age, because while some of the band members are older gentlemen, some are younger and appear middle-aged.

If there's a plan to spruce up the Disneyland Band for the 60th, I'm all for it.

More details were released by the union (AFM). Veteran Disneyland Band members will be offered full time spots in the breakout groups (Pearly Band, Firehouse, etc.) and non-veterans will have to audition for the new and revamped Disneyland Band.

I just hope the revamp is GOOD. The "new" Dapper Dans (now getting on 10 years old) are not my favorite since actual trained barbershop singers were booted in favor of 20somethings with shall we say...varying levels of barbershop aptitude.

TP2000

More details were released by the union (AFM). Veteran Disneyland Band members will be offered full time spots in the breakout groups (Pearly Band, Firehouse, etc.) and non-veterans will have to audition for the new and revamped Disneyland Band.

I just hope the revamp is GOOD. The "new" Dapper Dans (now getting on 10 years old) are not my favorite since actual trained barbershop singers were booted in favor of 20somethings with shall we say...varying levels of barbershop aptitude.

Agree on the Dapper Dans. Please keep us posted on how this progresses.

Since it's not debuting for May 22nd, that tells me this is a late developing issue and TDA ran behind schedule or managed this process poorly.

They'll conveniently use July 17th as a faux celebratory date, but the reality here anyone can figure out is obviously they are running 60 days behind on this project to revamp park entertainment offerings.

sponono88

A few more toppers have been installed. Add me to the list of those who think it looks better in person than in pictures. The camera doesn't quite capture the sheen and sparkle of it. Maybe a bit over the top for some but I think it's appropriate for a temporary overlay.

image.jpg

Picture is from @WoC91Elefante via Twitter

And the two pictures below are my own, taken on Tuesday afternoon

07507F27-2E61-43C0-A124-53BD468B22ED_1.jpg

3313FCF9-D3F2-474E-AE02-8DB02E2F82B6_1.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom