The 60th Anniversary of Disneyland: The Reality of it All

shortstop

I just hope they stop running PTN two times every night... it creates an insane amount of anxiety amongst park guests! It once took me about 20 minutes to walk from Adventureland to the Matterhorn LOL.

Rich T

I'd love to see them actually do a night parade that's nothing but a conga-line of characters marching along the route singing, "It's a crowd con-trol dis-as-ter...It's a crowd con-trol dis-as-ter...(lift those phones up!) It's a crowd con-trol dis-as-ter...Soooo ma-gi-cuhlllllll...."

VJ

Ok this is terrible news, BUT they did say that the show was for the 60th, so no one here should be shocked or surprised if it closes at the end of the summer.
VMK was open for 3 years (2005-2008). Then closed because it was "meant as a celebration for the 50th anniversary of Disneyland"... that ended at most 2 years prior. So I guess they could run Forever for as long or as short as they wanted with that excuse.

Figments Friend

Well, there is a contrast in words for ya...

Forever has a end.

Heh heh...not so 'Forever' then, is it..!

Yeah...its late.
My lame attempt at humor.

But i digress.......

I am probably the only person not phased by the ending of 'DLF' and going back to 'Fantasy..'.
We were kind of warned ahead of time that this might happen, so I'm not too surprised.

The other reason being that I was not all that impressed with 'Forever'.
I was not a fan of all the busy projections and the yet-another-Disney-video-clip-show format.
The quality of the pyro, however, was great.
Loved some of those newer shells ( color changing orbs ) .
'Remember...' is still the one to top in my opinion.
That presentation was spectacular and creatively done.

I find 'Fantasy' has a kind of retro, old school vibe to it that I don't mind seeing again.
Yeah it's short...yeah, it's 'cheap' to run, but the focus is on the fireworks instead of the sensory overload 'Forever' was for me.
I'm happy to know I have another shot at seeing 'Fantasy' come September.

It was nice having that special show for the 60th.
Keep it for the 60th and here's looking forward to a new presentation, perhaps next year..

-

Last edited:

FerretAfros

I can't help but wonder if this is a somewhat-temporary move until they're able to get Fantasmic! back up and running. By all accounts, nighttime crowdflow has been problematic since the addition of Paint the Night and was only made worse when F! stopped for construction. Disneyland Forever is better at distributing crowds than some shows (I'm looking at you, Remember and Halloween Screams) but still puts most people on Main Street and in the Hub

Part of what made Fantasy in the Sky nice was that you could watch it from pretty much anywhere in the park and get a decent view. This allowed a lot more flexibility, and nobody ever camped out for a prime viewing spot. The Hub-centric shows didn't begin until Believe...There's Magic in the Stars, which was after MSEP had concluded it's run and also had Fantasmic! to divert crowds. Now that there's a parade running through the main viewing area for the fireworks with no competing entertainment, it seems like this could be a chance to break up the crowds some. Perhaps they'll bring back Forever (or some variation on it) next summer when crowdflow is returned to 'normal'

Disney has been training guests to watch the fireworks in front of the castle for a long time, which has become problematic. DL can't do a new hub like WDW, so perhaps it's time to revert to a show that is a little simpler. Believe...in Holiday Magic can be seen well from many locations and typically has less congestion in the Hub, so maybe these issues can be avoided with the right show design

I also feel obligated to point out that Fantasy in the Sky was the generic name that they used for the fireworks show for many decades, even though the show changed many times during that period. There's no reason that the upcoming version of FITS has to be identical to one that has run in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if it incorporated some new music and some of the Forever infrastructure to give it a little more pizzazz than the show from 15+ years ago

Figments Friend

The heat likely scared people away.
I happened to glance at the wait times just on a whim and was stunned at what I saw.
The place looked to be a ghost town in comparison to 'typical' Summertime crowds.

D

Deleted member 107043

I try and ride Pirates at least once a day on our trips to the DLR. By the last day (usually day 4 or 5) my kids and husband start complaining. "Again?!"
Ingrates.

Growing up we went to DLR once a year for a stretch and WDW a couple of times as a family. A few of those trips included my grandmother who LOVED It's a Small World. As kids we always knew that if we wanted to get an extra E ticket for the Matterhorn we had to appease her and endure Small World at least once per trip. To this day I can't ride it without thinking of her.

JediMasterMatt

Re: DL Forever - I'm currently trying to find out from some friends if it's going away permanently or it's just a temporary budget cut. One person has told me the word is it's just for the budget and they expect it back for the summer season with perhaps a bit of modification. I'll let you know if I hear more.

Nland316

I try keeping faith that the show will return next summer, only because I'm sure they'd want to try and space out crowds with Fantasmic 2.0 coming back next year. Something big like DL Forever returning can help spread crowds out similar to when Glowfest was introduced at the same time WOC premiered. It can even be marketed as another Summer Nightastic with PtN, DLF, WOC, and the new Fantasmic.

AndyS2992

I try and ride Pirates at least once a day on our trips to the DLR. By the last day (usually day 4 or 5) my kids and husband start complaining. "Again?!"
Ingrates.
I get the exact same thing with It's a Small World :oops: Every time we walk past I have to ride it :D ''But it's a Walt Disney original!!'' I explain but they aren't having any of it.

AndyS2992

Can't they get rid of the Haunted Mansion Holiday for budget reasons?
As much as I like TNBC I'm kinda over the HMH overlay. I'd much rather they didn't do anything or just put a handful of creepy Christmas decorations around the mansion like you would decorate your own home, for example put a christmas tree in the ballroom scene, wreaths on doors and such, just subtle touches here and there that can be placed and removed over night so the ride isn't closed for half the year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom