The 60th Anniversary of Disneyland: The Reality of it All

George Lucas on a Bench

Paint the Night doesn't have much repeat value for me. I don't like the disruptions it causes and the closure of the Storybook Land Canal Boats. There comes a point in the evening where it seems the entire park just becomes anarchy due to Paint the Night, fireworks and Fantasmic.

brb1006

I liked Paint The Night quite a bit, primarily the lighting effects and the terrific music.
Although I'm not a fan of the heavy Pixar related elements, as a whole it is a welcome addition to Disneyland.

-
I agree, I was disappointed due to the lack of other classic Disney films such as Pinocchio. While Pixar get's most of the attention as seen in most of the advertisements for the new parade.

Nland316

60th bunting was swapped for Halloween bunting. Pretty shocked that it was done, but I'm glad they aren't just abandoning Halloween decor this year.

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
They did. I think it looks good in person.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 64

prberk

I just found something that I had copied and sent to myself on another e-mail account in July of 2005. It comes from a news report, but not sure the newspaper. Probably the Orlando Sentinel. Sometimes it pays never to delete e-mail!

Anyway, here is a copy of the speech Diane Disney Miller gave on July 17, 2005, to re-dedicate Disneyland, on the occasion of its 50th anniversary:

Diane Disney Miller Rededicates Disneyland

On July 17, 2005, in the forecourt of Sleeping Beauty Castle, Walt Disney's eldest daughter, Diane Disney Miller, rededicated Disneyland on the occasion of its 50th Anniversary. Her comments:

"Thank you for your kind welcome! It is truly wonderful to be here to celebrate this milestone occasion with everyone who is here and to honor my father's vision - - his changing vision - - and his dream come true: Disneyland. I only wish that my sister Sharon was here by my side.... but I find I have a host of other Disney family members... we're all cousins almost the whole first three rows here.... and Art Linkletter is here... and that is the best! I love you, Art Linkletter. Thank you. Happy Birthday!

Some of you who are here today, were here then, fifty years ago... I wasn't! Neither was my mother nor my sister. My father had said to us the day before... "I don't want any of you women coming out there tomorrow, it's going to be a mess and I don't want to have to worry about you too." Our feelings weren't hurt at all, seriously. We knew how important that day was to him.

The invocation that day was given by the Rev. Glen Puder. My Dad chose Glen because he liked and respected him and Glen was also married to Dad's precious and only niece, Dorothy Disney Puder. Dorothy is the daughter of Roy and Walt Disney's oldest brother, Herbert. Dorothy and Glen were not able to be here today, but they live quite near me in Napa. Their daughter, Linda Puder Taylor is here though, with her family and the family of her brother, Paul. Linda and her brothers David and Paul were here with their parents fifty years ago.

Dad's vision called for this, for Disneyland, to be something that would grow more beautiful every year and it has... he saw that it would change and grow... and offer continually new, even more delightful entertainment to its visitors. I really don't think, though, that he envisioned that a lot of people would resist too much change, because they loved some of the original attractions so much. But the creativity and skill of those who developed the attractions... the talent and dedication of every cast member, the good will and good spirits of everyone who has been a part of this wonderful experience through these past fifty years have brought it along and will carry it on. Dad often expressed his gratitude to the public... those who understood and appreciated what he gave them. The support of the public, he said, enabled him to grow, and to move on to do more and more. All of you who love this place so much have with your continuing support enabled it to go on, fulfilling his hopes and expectations.

Now I don't expect to be here for the 100th anniversary, but I'm certain that there will be one. And maybe some of you that are here today will be here then with your children and grandchildren, and I'm willing to bet that The Enchanted Tiki Room will still be here when you come. Thank you."

(Invoking Walt's original 1955 dedication) "To all who come to this happy place... Welcome."

—Diane Disney Miller July 17, 2005

Last edited:

Sage of Time

I just found something that I had copied and sent to myself on another e-mail account in July of 2005. It comes from a news report, but not sure the newspaper. Probably the Orlando Sentinel. Sometimes it pays never to delete e-mail!

Anyway, here is a copy of the speech Diane Disney Miller gave on July 17, 2005, to re-dedicate Disneyland, on the occasion of its 50th anniversary:

Diane Disney Miller Rededicates Disneyland

On July 17, 2005, in the forecourt of Sleeping Beauty Castle, Walt Disney's eldest daughter, Diane Disney Miller, rededicated Disneyland on the occasion of its 50th Anniversary. Her comments:

"Thank you for your kind welcome! It is truly wonderful to be here to celebrate this milestone occasion with everyone who is here and to honor my father's vision - - his changing vision - - and his dream come true: Disneyland. I only wish that my sister Sharon was here by my side.... but I find I have a host of other Disney family members... we're all cousins almost the whole first three rows here.... and Art Linkletter is here... and that is the best! I love you, Art Linkletter. Thank you. Happy Birthday!

Some of you who are here today, were here then, fifty years ago... I wasn't! Neither was my mother nor my sister. My father had said to us the day before... "I don't want any of you women coming out there tomorrow, it's going to be a mess and I don't want to have to worry about you too." Our feelings weren't hurt at all, seriously. We knew how important that day was to him.

The invocation that day was given by the Rev. Glen Puder. My Dad chose Glen because he liked and respected him and Glen was also married to Dad's precious and only niece, Dorothy Disney Puder. Dorothy is the daughter of Roy and Walt Disney's oldest brother, Herbert. Dorothy and Glen were not able to be here today, but they live quite near me in Napa. Their daughter, Linda Puder Taylor is here though, with her family and the family of her brother, Paul. Linda and her brothers David and Paul were here with their parents fifty years ago.

Dad's vision called for this, for Disneyland, to be something that would grow more beautiful every year and it has... he saw that it would change and grow... and offer continually new, even more delightful entertainment to its visitors. I really don't think, though, that he envisioned that a lot of people would resist too much change, because they loved some of the original attractions so much. But the creativity and skill of those who developed the attractions... the talent and dedication of every cast member, the good will and good spirits of everyone who has been a part of this wonderful experience through these past fifty years have brought it along and will carry it on. Dad often expressed his gratitude to the public... those who understood and appreciated what he gave them. The support of the public, he said, enabled him to grow, and to move on to do more and more. All of you who love this place so much have with your continuing support enabled it to go on, fulfilling his hopes and expectations.

Now I don't expect to be here for the 100th anniversary, but I'm certain that there will be one. And maybe some of you that are here today will be here then with your children and grandchildren, and I'm willing to bet that The Enchanted Tiki Room will still be here when you come. Thank you."

(Invoking Walt's original 1955 dedication) "To all who come to this happy place... Welcome."

—Diane Disney Miller July 17, 2005
Ah, happy tears.

SpaceMountain75

I can only imagine how crowded Disney Star Wars Frozen Adventure, I mean, uhh, Disneyland, will be by the 100th anniversary. If I'm still alive I'll be so old and cranky, still going ape**** over the Haunted Mansion Holiday and World of Color, if they still exist. I hope not!
On the bright side you'll have a cane to shake at Haunted Mansion Holiday!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom