Trip Report The “More SunPass than the average Florida resident/Can you believe this is happening?” Trip Report.

*****Disclaimer*****
This is my first trip using a GoPro as my primary form of image capturing. With this comes some trial and error that I learned along the way so I do apologize for the occasional fuzzy picture as well as the excessive amount of pictures I am about to bombard you with. Additionally, I am not known for my wordsmithing as I favor the 1’s and 0’s over the A’s and B’s so I apologize ahead of time for the inevitable grammar and spelling typos that will surely come your way. That said, I do hope you enjoy the following!

So here we are, Surf ‘n Turf trip number four! For all the funtivities about the who/what/when/etc have yourself a nice read here:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/18-years-of-marital-bliss-means-it’s-time-for-some-surf-n-turf-action…-again.915877/

So after about five and half hours of sleep I was up bright and early at 04:00 with the DW soon up to follow. The DMIL, who was staying over to watch the DD, saw us off and we ended up pulling out of the house around 04:40 to avoid the madness that is Atlanta traffic. We had to make a quick stop to fuel up first:
20161019_044732.jpg

We chose to avoid eating until we got through downtown because I didn’t want to risk getting caught in anything the ATL could conjure up. Soon we were on the south side and ready for some breakfast. We passed a sign for Truett’s grill, Chick-fil-A founder, and thought this sounded good, I love me some spicy chicken biscuit action! We took the exit and made our way to the grill only to find out that they didn’t open for breakfast until 06:00!! Alas, it was only 05:45 and I was on a mission to not waste time so we hopped back on I-75 and made our way south. We ended up dining at a Chick-fil-A in Macon only to learn that the spicy chicken biscuit has now become a regional item!! I pressed the server to make sure she knew what state we were still in and that the idea of a spicy chicken biscuit not being available in Truett’s home state was just plain nuts! So the DW and I settled for a pair of chicken biscuits but had the fortune that a Dunkin Donuts was right across the street so we were able to secure some good coffee for the trip.
[TangetTime]

True story: I actually met Honey Boo Boo at this very Dunkin Donuts during the state wrestling tournament about three years ago. Now aren’t you jealous!!!
hbb.jpg

hbb2jpg.jpg

[/TangentTime]

We would only stop one more time for fuel and restroom access during our travels. We did, however, pass a most entertaining car fire as we entered into Florida. I felt a bit bad for the folks watching their car crisp up and even worse when we eventually passed the FD traveling north about 5 minutes later. What, amazingly, felt like a short seven-hour ride, we had arrived!
GPExportPhoto.jpg

We navigated our way from Western Way to MK’s main gate. Needless to say I was ready to get to the Poly. Here the DW nabbed a pic of me without knowing, it wouldn’t be the last she would get of me.
GOPR0123.jpg

GOPR0124.jpg

G0020129.jpg

Soon we were in the Poly’s lobby talking in the wonderful sights and smells.
20161019_121033.jpg

We made our way to the front desk to learn our room was not ready. We anticipated this and packed our bathing suits and some libations in a tote for an afternoon poolside before our early evening fastpasses. We made for our car and moved it to the DVC parking lot when we got the call…

lostpro9het

Original Poster
So after getting my sunrise pictures I made my way back to Cabanas to get our hot food for breakfast. By the time I got back to the room our room service had arrived.
GOPR0804.jpg

GOPR0807.jpg

While we were enjoying our veranda breakfast the boat did a 180 and started to back into the Castaway dock.
GOPR0805.jpg

GOPR0808.jpg

GOPR0809.jpg

GOPR0812.jpg

GOPR0813.jpg

GOPR0814.jpg

GOPR0815.jpg

GOPR0817.jpg

Still to come: Our journey to Serenity bay and starfish!

lostpro9het

Original Poster
So after another excellent breakfast on our veranda we made for the exit! As we made our way down we found ourselves mixed in with the Castaway 5k folks so we just disembarked with them. As soon as you get off the boat they have towel stations for you to grab beach towels. This year, thanks to Zika, there was also a repellant station
GOPR0818.jpg

GOPR0819.jpg

Thoroughly covered I anti-Zika sauce we made our way towards the heart of Castaway
GOPR0820.jpg

GOPR0821.jpg

GOPR0822.jpg

GOPR0823.jpg

GOPR0825.jpg

GOPR0826.jpg

Can’t come her and not take a pic of Mount Rustmore…
GOPR0827.jpg

GOPR0828.jpg

GOPR0829.jpg

GOPR0830.jpg

GOPR0832.jpg

After about a 10 minute walk we finally made it to the second tram corral, this was the one that takes you back and forth to Serenity bay. I think we may have been on the first tram heading that way and were only accompanied by a handful of guests and a few CMs. Its worth pointing out that the “road” the tram runs on is a landing strip!
GOPR0833.jpg

GOPR0834.jpg

GOPR0835.jpg

Want to know a sure way a husband can tick off his better half? Lean out of moving tram to take a selfie :eek:… someone was not happy.
GOPR0837.jpg

GOPR0838.jpg

Still to come: Serenity bay, Patrick Star, and don't worry, I didn’t forget about the Castaway Cocktail…

Last edited:

lostpro9het

Original Poster
So we had finally arrived! The weather was still fantastic and the water, while initially felt a little chilly was not and in fact very comfortable. Can’t say enough about how nice it is to have a beach free from the madness of hundreds of little minions.
GOPR0839.jpg

GOPR0840.jpg

GOPR0841.jpg

After claiming some chairs we walked the beach to see what may have washed ashore before deciding to make our way into the water.
GOPR0842.jpg

GOPR0843.jpg

GOPR0844.jpg

GOPR0845.jpg

GOPR0847.jpg

GOPR0848.jpg

GOPR0851.jpg

GOPR0855.jpg

GOPR0857.jpg

I even found some space garbage along the way! Just kidding, it’s just regular garbage…:(
GOPR0846.jpg

During our last visit to Castaway I stumbled on a few massive starfish and was on a mission to find a few this trip. It didn’t take long before I found this little guy just off the sandbar.
GOPR0859.jpg

GOPR0862.jpg

He was cute and all but I was on a mission for the “Money Starfish”. It took a little bit of looking then I struck starfish gold!

Still to come: Making it rain starfish, Serenity bay BBQ, and some Castaway Cocktails in the surf.

lostpro9het

Original Poster
So, as promised, I ventured the limits that the Castaway lifeguards would allow.
GOPR0863.jpg

It was in this area where things got fun. Lets all count the starfish together shall we?
Number 1:
GOPR0866.jpg

GOPR0867.jpg

GOPR0868.jpg

Number 2:
GOPR0869.jpg

GOPR0870.jpg

GOPR0871.jpg

Number 3: (he had some critters living on him!
GOPR0872.jpg

GOPR0874.jpg

GOPR0876.jpg

Number 4:
GOPR0877.jpg

GOPR0878.jpg

GOPR0879.jpg

Number 5:
GOPR0880.jpg

GOPR0881.jpg

GOPR0882.jpg

More to come!!

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Number 6:
GOPR0883.jpg

GOPR0885.jpg

Number 7: (This guy was very much alive but damaged so I let him be )
GOPR0887.jpg

GOPR0889.jpg

Number 8:
GOPR0949.jpg

GOPR0951.jpg

GOPR0952.jpg

GOPR0953.jpg

Then we stumbled upon this guy. I’m pretty sure I thoroughly ticked him off trying to get the perfect picture…
GOPR0908.jpg

GOPR0947.jpg

GOPR0948.jpg

We wadded a bit longer really enjoying the water.
GOPR0890.jpg

GOPR0892.jpg

GOPR0893.jpg

GOPR0895.jpg

On the way back to shore I spotted this near the coastline
GOPR0896.jpg

GOPR0897.jpg

Still to come: Shoreline relaxation, lunch, and heading back to the boat.

mcstensrud

Really enjoying your cruise TR.
155 days for us cruise # 10 on the Magic this time!
That bottle you found on SBay reminds me that I told my hubby that's where I want my ashes scattered.;)
Maybe they were someone else's.
Still following along.

coachwnh

Just contacted my growler guy, so we wil see! Have you tried the Ill have what she's having? That one looks good too.
Yes I have. Not something I normally drink, but it was good. I love the names Evil Genius has for their beer. Almost makes them a must try.

lostpro9het

Original Poster
After a good hour+ of starfish hunting we decided to relax on the shore line until lunchtime. This may be one of our favorite “relaxation” activities. There is something oddly nice about sitting in the surf and just running your hands through the sand and seeing what little surprises you discover! Apparently this also acts an excellent exfoliator for rough hands, WINNING! So we moved some chairs down and just chilled for an hour or so sipping on….you guessed it, Castaway Cocktails!
GOPR0899.jpg

GOPR0898.jpg

GOPR0900.jpg

GOPR0901.jpg

The crowd, if you want to call it that, was starting to pick up, nothing like the family beach madness.
GOPR0902.jpg

GOPR0903.jpg

GOPR0904.jpg

GOPR0905.jpg

GOPR0906.jpg

Still to come: Lunch, nap, and heading back to the boat.

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Soon it was hitting lunch time so we pulled our chairs up from the shoreline and made for the Serenity Bay BBQ spot. Here we would bump into Danny, from Palo, again. The BBQ offers a decent variety of salads, grilled meats, and desserts.
GOPR0970.jpg

GOPR0958.jpg

GOPR0960.jpg

GOPR0962.jpg

A habit I picked up about two cruises ago was mixing the chocolate and banana soft serve, its pretty good!
GOPR0963.jpg

We made a little friend while enjoying lunch
GOPR0964.jpg

GOPR0965.jpg

Then we had this little guy posing for us
GOPR0968.jpg

The Dream off in the distance
GOPR0967.jpg

So after lunch we made back for our beach chairs a little tuckered out so we relaxed under the umbrellas for a bit
GOPR0971.jpg

GOPR0972.jpg

Had a little help with the relaxing too, CC for me and a conch cooler for Laura.
GOPR0973.jpg

GOPR0980.jpg

GOPR0974.jpg

GOPR0978.jpg

20161023_141626.jpg

So, we had an exciting morning, fantastic lunch, and plenty of libations. All of this naturally leads to being a little tired. Apparently I was a little more tired than I realized and aren’t you fortunate that I have a wife that decided to document that just for you….
GOPR0976.jpg

Still to come: Heading back to the Dream, Royal Palace, and smashing some music trivia!

lostpro9het

Original Poster
After a lite nap… and a bit more swimming we made for the boat. The timing was spot on as there was a tram waiting for us as we approached the stop!
GOPR0981.jpg

We hopped off at the next stop to check out a few shops while we made the walk to the boat.
GOPR0982.jpg

GOPR0983.jpg

GOPR0984.jpg

GOPR0985.jpg

GOPR0986.jpg

GOPR0987.jpg

GOPR0988.jpg

GOPR0989.jpg

GOPR0990.jpg

GOPR0993.jpg

GOPR0994.jpg

GOPR0995.jpg

We opted to hop on another tram for the final leg of the trip to the boat.
GOPR0996.jpg

GOPR0997.jpg

GOPR0998.jpg

GOPR0999.jpg

One final selfie before boarding!
GOPR1000.jpg

Still to come: Coffee, music trivial dominance, and did he go full risky business?

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Those are some crazy starfish!!

Can't wait to hear about the music trivia. Love the DCL trivia contests.
Our music trivia dominance left some in sad disbelief.:D
I can't get over how bright and cheery that island looks with the crystal clear sky above, and manicured beach area. The little shops are pleasant, too.
The weather was absolutely beautiful and the island, like the boat, was prefect.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom