Thatched Roof

Phonedave

That's in my hometown! Small world!

Which one? Pompton Lakes, Denville, or Fairfield?

We live almost right between the Denville and Fairfield ones, and we have a rental property that is walking distance of the Pompton Lakes one (I try to market that as a selling point, but it never seems to help)

-dave

prfctlyximprct

Which one? Pompton Lakes, Denville, or Fairfield?

We live almost right between the Denville and Fairfield ones, and we have a rental property that is walking distance of the Pompton Lakes one (I try to market that as a selling point, but it never seems to help)

-dave

The one in Denville! I have to go see if they have a thachted roof now!

wldmn12

My husband and I a while ago were talking about the thatched roof on the Animal Kingdom Hotel. I said it was a real natural thatch material and he said it wasn't. Although I don't know what "thatch" is I know it is a natural grass or plant of some type. I just saw the post here about the new bathrooms in Fantasyland getting thatch on the roofs and it brought back that conversation to me. So the question is - is it real or not?
The thatch is actually a lightweight aluminum, the profile is similar to weadeatrr line. All of the pieces are attached to a common bar and screwed down to the roof surface. Where the thatch is not up close and personal with the guests, it is a plaster ceiling with a profile and paint to make it look like thatch. Also the thickness if the thatck at the edges of the roof is an illusion, there are large end pieces that go on the edge of the roof over the fascia to make the thatch loom 8-10” thick.

You might ask how I know this, it is because I got up close to the thatched roof in the top of the outside spiral staircase at animal kingdom lidge on 6th floor. A single piece of thatch was broke and laying on ground and you could see where it broke that it was aluminum inside.

Attachments

• EDC0B8B1-E27F-4F60-AC1E-11BDF9A722B2.jpeg
    EDC0B8B1-E27F-4F60-AC1E-11BDF9A722B2.jpeg
    255.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 8FD76380-42FA-43C2-B566-5FE2F7008511.jpeg
    8FD76380-42FA-43C2-B566-5FE2F7008511.jpeg
    257.1 KB · Views: 39
  • ED75707A-AE74-4DDB-A1D2-EC1331A27B36.jpeg
    ED75707A-AE74-4DDB-A1D2-EC1331A27B36.jpeg
    224.2 KB · Views: 39

DisneyFanatic12

The thatch is actually a lightweight aluminum, the profile is similar to weadeatrr line. All of the pieces are attached to a common bar and screwed down to the roof surface. Where the thatch is not up close and personal with the guests, it is a plaster ceiling with a profile and paint to make it look like thatch. Also the thickness if the thatck at the edges of the roof is an illusion, there are large end pieces that go on the edge of the roof over the fascia to make the thatch loom 8-10” thick.

You might ask how I know this, it is because I got up close to the thatched roof in the top of the outside spiral staircase at animal kingdom lidge on 6th floor. A single piece of thatch was broke and laying on ground and you could see where it broke that it was aluminum inside.
Yea, and as we saw when they replaced part of the roof, there is a more traditional cement roof under the foe thatching. Some of the newer thatching that they’ve put up is star-shaped, I guess so it fits into other pieces of man-made straw better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom