Trip Report *Completed* That time we went to Florida and didn't tell anyone...

Hi everyone! I have a surprise trip to tell you about :)

Who?:
My Mom and I (Mary and Megan)
PhotoPass_Visiting_STUDIO_7794117832.jpeg

Where?:

The Contemporary :) This is/was my dream resort so I am so happy we were able to stay there!

When?:
September 30 – October 3, 2016

Why?:

Well, on a rainy afternoon a few weeks ago my Mom and I were making tip envelopes for our November trip and in conversation I mentioned flights and hotels were on sale again. Collectively we convinced each other we should go back down to see if we could possibly see the MSEP once more. Also, we realized our dates would coincide with Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party and my Mom knows I have always wanted to go to that - so that solidified our decision! We asked my sister Jill if she wanted to come, but she couldn't take a day off from work. We asked my Dad and he politely declined so it was just the two of us!

Why a secret?
1. I was sick of my fellow residents asking me why I always go to Disney and not anywhere else 2. I was given permission by my attending on my current rotation to miss a day of work, but was worried that would cause issues and 3. I'm an incredibly superstitious person and was worried that because I talked so much about wanting to see MSEP one last time on our last trip that I jinxed us so I refused to talk about it. A few of my closest friends knew I was going, obviously our family, and @Tuvalu because she saw me there :) Also @DisneyJeff may have known because we are snapchat friends haha.

T-1 day until we leave
I had an insanely busy day at work because we were interviewing potential residency candidates. Still, I managed to call our office and make sure that my schedule was blocked off from 2:20 pm on so I could leave on time for the airport. No problem everything was all set!

September 30, 2016
After a long morning I left the hospital to head to clinic. On the way I got a text that our room was ready! Hooray!!
IMG_2404.PNG

Unfortunately when I get to clinic what do I see? A full schedule! AHHHHH!!!!! :confused::mad:. They booked over the part that said "do not book." Luckily, I have a nice attending who took my last 3 patients for me so I was still able to leave by three. I rushed to my parent's house and we got got the car packed and headed to the airport! I didn't even have time to put contacts in haha
IMG_3297.jpg

We got to the airport at 4:00 pm. Southwest was dead so they again checked us in without having to use the computers. We both had TSA pre-check (yay, didn't have to take my computer out!)! Unsurprisingly the metal detector went off when I went through (again...no clue why), but when they wanded me all was good. I'm convinced there is some sort of metal in my body my parents forgot to tell me about!
We needed to eat dinner so sat down in the Anchor Bar (the best Anchor Bar in my opinion...in case no one knows what the Anchor Bar is its the birthplace of chicken wings) and I looked at my phone and it was 4:08 pm. No lie. We checked our luggage, went through security and sat down to eat in 8 minutes!!!
For dinner we split Buffalo bites (aka boneless wings) YUM!!!
IMG_1324.JPG

My mom was convinced that because we had plastic silverware someone was going to spill while cutting up the chicken. Well I did, but I had black pants on. Unfortunately, she did too but she had kakis on :( She predicted it correctly!
Sad stain :(
IMG_3299.JPG

We sat next to a really annoying woman who was in no hurry to order, but complained when it took too long because she had a flight to catch :joyfull:
Well, we still had plenty of time to kill at the gate so I worked on some TR notes.
IMG_3298.JPG

Actually some guy sitting across from us was also writing notes, but he seemed to be writing them about us, because he kept staring at us...:oops::eek:
Airport selfie!
IMG_2405.jpg

Soon enough it was time to board. You know how for Southwest you wait a little bit while everyone figures out where they are supposed to be in line? This was a great opportunity for us to hear a woman on the phone super upset with her doctor for not sending in her son's acne medication right away. "He needs it because he is a Freshman in college." I get being upset about waiting for a medication, but having been on after hour Friday call before it hurt my heart a little for the poor recipient of the call :oops:. She then proceeded to call her son and let him know it was all set. At this point her son informs her (I could hear everything) that they are "dropping part of his scholarship" and he doesn't know why. One could guess why as he also proceeded to tell her he had a couple C's. She didn't seem to think that had anything to do with it. Poor lady :confused:. We were also boarding at this time and she stayed on the phone and proceeded to knock into everyone with her bags :banghead:.
Luckily we didn't sit near her on the plane :)
We actually had a layover this time and I had a mild panic attack because we were not cleared for takeoff right away due to rain in Chicago. Luckily we still landed at 6:30 Chicago time - 15 minutes early! We rushed to the complete opposite side of the airport to make it to our connecting flight and we did. Everyone who was getting on our flight seemed to be drunk...no lie...everyone was drinking haha.
Time for Magic Bands!
IMG_1330.JPG

The gang was ready (in Halloween gear)
IMG_1328.JPG

Next up: traveling to the MCO

Last edited:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Day 2 continued:
We briefly considered standing around to watch the new castle show, but decided instead to do something newish for me (My Mom insists I did this as a kiddo, but I have no recollection)
The Liberty Square Riverboat :)
View attachment 167827
We JUST missed the boat so took advantage of the shade while we waited!
View attachment 167830
Finally it was time to board the boat!
View attachment 167828 View attachment 167829
View attachment 167831
View attachment 167832
This boat was SO hot! Literally sweat was dripping down my back :hungover: So much for getting out of the sun :)
Some views from the boat
View attachment 167833
I wonder how the construction guys/girls feel about being stared at all day long :)
View attachment 167834
In my mind I built up how great this boat ride was, instead I searched for FPs and tried to not fall asleep :joyfull: I'm sure it would have been better if it wasn't so hot
View attachment 167835 View attachment 167836

Next up: Splashing away

Loving your secret trip. I tell nobody (close anyhow) when going to Disney.

And the River Boat is better in slightly cooler weather. Sometimes when we hit lunch at the MK wrong and it is crowded we head first to Liberty food stand, load up on goodies for lunch, take it aboard the boat, pick a bench and have a peaceful lunch. Moving along the river while dining passes the time and beats a very crowded QS restaurant.

MerMom1981

Secret Disney trip? How fun!!!!!!
I love that you travel with your mom!

I brought my mom to Disney for the first time last year, and she totally feel in love. I would love to do a girls weekend, but it's hard to leave young kids out of the Disney fun. Maybe when my kids are older...

Having fun reading along!

Tuvalu

Premium Member

LeighM

We got stuck in the rain at Disney Springs on October 1st. When the rain showed no signs of letting up, we had to do the store hop. My husband and I were meeting a friend from college so I was the only one in the group who knew the layout of the area - so it was up to me to plan our store hop to get to the Lime garage and resort bus stop LOL.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
At the Columbia Harbour House you can still get an "adult" sized portion of chicken nuggets even though they aren't on the menu. Just ask for a large chicken nuggets, we did this a few weeks ago. Awesome trip report by the way, so cool that you were there for the 45th!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Loving your secret trip. I tell nobody (close anyhow) when going to Disney.

And the River Boat is better in slightly cooler weather. Sometimes when we hit lunch at the MK wrong and it is crowded we head first to Liberty food stand, load up on goodies for lunch, take it aboard the boat, pick a bench and have a peaceful lunch. Moving along the river while dining passes the time and beats a very crowded QS restaurant.

That is a great idea actually! I may steal that :)

Secret Disney trip? How fun!!!!!!
I love that you travel with your mom!

I brought my mom to Disney for the first time last year, and she totally feel in love. I would love to do a girls weekend, but it's hard to leave young kids out of the Disney fun. Maybe when my kids are older...

Having fun reading along!

For sure! My Mom still feels guilty leaving my sisters behind even though we are all grown adults :)

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Have you not heard? I go with the flow! ;) :joyfull:

Free all week. Just send me a plane ticket! :p

@Doc Disney, for future reference you can get all chicken nuggets on the adult chicken & fish entree at Columbia Harbor House.

At the Columbia Harbour House you can still get an "adult" sized portion of chicken nuggets even though they aren't on the menu. Just ask for a large chicken nuggets, we did this a few weeks ago. Awesome trip report by the way, so cool that you were there for the 45th!
Being there for the 45th was really neat! Even if we didn't know it...haha

Thank you both for the chicken nugget tip! Good to know for next time, thankful that we weren't that hungry and the kids meal was enough for us :)

Doc Disney

Original Poster
I would be crying at the parade too... now you just have to go see it at Disneyland!

haha if only! I tried to convince my Mom to go to DL in April with me with our Southwest points...shes not into it just yet

We got stuck in the rain at Disney Springs on October 1st. When the rain showed no signs of letting up, we had to do the store hop. My husband and I were meeting a friend from college so I was the only one in the group who knew the layout of the area - so it was up to me to plan our store hop to get to the Lime garage and resort bus stop LOL.

AH! Disney Springs is one of the worst places to be stuck in the rain...not nearly enough shelter haha

Doc Disney

Original Poster
AH! I promise I will update soon. I have been stuck at work way longer that I anticipated today and still have 2 hours to go so likely no update from me today :(

NutsForFlorida

Day 2 continued
Unfortunately when we got out of the Laugh Floor it was raining harder then ever. We put on our rain coats and made our way to the Peoplemover for a ride and a quick plan. The water on the ground was insane and it had only been raining for like 20 minutes. No lie, it was literally up to my mid calf at one point in Tomorrowland.
View attachment 169373
We decided to head towards Main Street by way of Tomorrowland Terrace. Tink had a short wait so we hopped in her line to get out of the rain for a few minutes.
She asked us if we were having a girl's day and my Mom told her it was a girl's weekend :) She told us to make sure we cause trouble, but if anyone asks it was Peter Pan who told us to :)
View attachment 169362
At this point it was around 7:30 pm and the parade was scheduled for 9 pm. We headed over to the Train Station because figured we could just pop out after the rain stopped to see the parade.
View attachment 169363
You can kind of see the pouring rain in the picture
View attachment 169364
We waited under the train shelter for approximately an hour and 15 minutes and unfortunately there was so sign of letting up. We were kind of hungry at this point so we we braved the rain to pop into Tony's just to see if they had any walk up availability. They did not and they directed us to the Plaza Restaurant. When we went over there they said there was a 45 minute wait. So, we decided to head over to Pinocchio's Village Haus by way of the castle...only they were not letting people through the castle. So, we waded our way through the water to get to Columbia Harbor House. At some point during this rainy trek they officially announced the parade was canceled :cry: Actually it is very odd to be on Main Street when its rainy because it was SO empty!
At Columbia Harbor House we both ordered the kid's meal chicken nuggets and went upstairs to eat. I could have sworn they had adult chicken nuggets on their menu, but they only had the ones with the fish. The kid's meal was fine anyway.
View attachment 169365
This was actually our first visit to the Harbor House and we really enjoyed it. For some reason I don't have a picture but we sat overlooking the Haunted Mansion and watched the crowds. We sat next to a bunch of college girls and they were being negative nelly about the weather and everything being canceled so I tried not to listen to them. They were also talking about how annoying it is when their Mom's worry about them when they don't hear from them :arghh:. My Mom wanted to kill them. Haha she said someday they will understand when they are Moms.
Anyway I actually forgot I had made a FP for POTC at some point in the night so we headed over there. At this point it was around 9:25 and it was still raining, but very lightly. We enjoyed our ride on POTC and when we got out the rain pretty much stopped. I apologize, I have like no pictures of anything haha.
We were actually able to catch Celebrate the Magic then moved down Main Street under shelter to wait for Wishes because the rain picked up again. They made an announcement that Wishes was delayed, but a CM near us assured us it would happen in a few minutes because they were just waiting for lightening to clear from the area. She was right, Wishes started at about 10:10 pm.
We enjoyed Wishes from the street and as cheesy as it sounds I wished so hard the rain would stop long enough for the MSEP to come out.
Around 10:30 pm the rain stopped. Completely !!! They actually showed Celebrate that Magic again for some reason. I went into the Emporium to buy us some ponchos to sit on since it was so wet, but we got a spot on Main Street and waited for a long 30 minutes. (*note to self, why did it take me so long to get ponchos? no clue)
View attachment 169370
Main Street really came back to life once the rain stopped. The music was loud again, CMs were out and tons of people emerged to sit for the parade. A woman next to me was like "I haven't seen this parade in forever." I told her she would not see it again either and she had no idea it was leaving :p. They made an announcement that the parade would start in 10 minutes.
View attachment 169371
There was hope!
Finally that iconic music started and I literally cried. The lady next to me probably thought I was nuts, but I didn't care!
View attachment 169375
After a long day I was just so happy to be there, seeing the parade after an amazing day for the 45th Anniversary :)
I really wanted to enjoy the parade so I only too a few pictures.
View attachment 169376
And, of course my favorite part :)
View attachment 169378
Farewell, MSEP! So happy I got to see it one more time! We headed back to the hotel by way of the pathway. So nice to not have to wait for a bus! Off to bed we went!!

Next up: Rope Drop?

Looks like you and your mom had a lot of fun. I bet my mom would go on a trip to Disney with me and no one else.

AuburnBelle919

I was at Epcot when the monsoon started and really wanted to get back to magic kingdom for the MSEP but I figured it would be cancelled. By the time I got to the TTC I was soaked so I just went back to my hotel instead. Sad I missed out on the late night parade but excited for you that you caught it one last time!

Last edited:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Looks like you and your mom had a lot of fun. I bet my mom would go on a trip to Disney with me and no one else.

Its fun with a small party! We do miss our family though!

I was at Epcot when the monsoon started and really wanted to get back to magic kingdom for the MSEP but I figured it would be cancelled. By the time I got to the TTC I was soaked so I just went back to my hotel instead. Sad I missed out on the late night parade but excited for you that you caught it one last time!

We were so wet!! If we weren't in MK, I probably would not have made it either :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom