Trip Report *Completed* That time we went to Florida and didn't tell anyone...

Hi everyone! I have a surprise trip to tell you about :)

Who?:
My Mom and I (Mary and Megan)
PhotoPass_Visiting_STUDIO_7794117832.jpeg

Where?:

The Contemporary :) This is/was my dream resort so I am so happy we were able to stay there!

When?:
September 30 – October 3, 2016

Why?:

Well, on a rainy afternoon a few weeks ago my Mom and I were making tip envelopes for our November trip and in conversation I mentioned flights and hotels were on sale again. Collectively we convinced each other we should go back down to see if we could possibly see the MSEP once more. Also, we realized our dates would coincide with Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party and my Mom knows I have always wanted to go to that - so that solidified our decision! We asked my sister Jill if she wanted to come, but she couldn't take a day off from work. We asked my Dad and he politely declined so it was just the two of us!

Why a secret?
1. I was sick of my fellow residents asking me why I always go to Disney and not anywhere else 2. I was given permission by my attending on my current rotation to miss a day of work, but was worried that would cause issues and 3. I'm an incredibly superstitious person and was worried that because I talked so much about wanting to see MSEP one last time on our last trip that I jinxed us so I refused to talk about it. A few of my closest friends knew I was going, obviously our family, and @Tuvalu because she saw me there :) Also @DisneyJeff may have known because we are snapchat friends haha.

T-1 day until we leave
I had an insanely busy day at work because we were interviewing potential residency candidates. Still, I managed to call our office and make sure that my schedule was blocked off from 2:20 pm on so I could leave on time for the airport. No problem everything was all set!

September 30, 2016
After a long morning I left the hospital to head to clinic. On the way I got a text that our room was ready! Hooray!!
IMG_2404.PNG

Unfortunately when I get to clinic what do I see? A full schedule! AHHHHH!!!!! :confused::mad:. They booked over the part that said "do not book." Luckily, I have a nice attending who took my last 3 patients for me so I was still able to leave by three. I rushed to my parent's house and we got got the car packed and headed to the airport! I didn't even have time to put contacts in haha
IMG_3297.jpg

We got to the airport at 4:00 pm. Southwest was dead so they again checked us in without having to use the computers. We both had TSA pre-check (yay, didn't have to take my computer out!)! Unsurprisingly the metal detector went off when I went through (again...no clue why), but when they wanded me all was good. I'm convinced there is some sort of metal in my body my parents forgot to tell me about!
We needed to eat dinner so sat down in the Anchor Bar (the best Anchor Bar in my opinion...in case no one knows what the Anchor Bar is its the birthplace of chicken wings) and I looked at my phone and it was 4:08 pm. No lie. We checked our luggage, went through security and sat down to eat in 8 minutes!!!
For dinner we split Buffalo bites (aka boneless wings) YUM!!!
IMG_1324.JPG

My mom was convinced that because we had plastic silverware someone was going to spill while cutting up the chicken. Well I did, but I had black pants on. Unfortunately, she did too but she had kakis on :( She predicted it correctly!
Sad stain :(
IMG_3299.JPG

We sat next to a really annoying woman who was in no hurry to order, but complained when it took too long because she had a flight to catch :joyfull:
Well, we still had plenty of time to kill at the gate so I worked on some TR notes.
IMG_3298.JPG

Actually some guy sitting across from us was also writing notes, but he seemed to be writing them about us, because he kept staring at us...:oops::eek:
Airport selfie!
IMG_2405.jpg

Soon enough it was time to board. You know how for Southwest you wait a little bit while everyone figures out where they are supposed to be in line? This was a great opportunity for us to hear a woman on the phone super upset with her doctor for not sending in her son's acne medication right away. "He needs it because he is a Freshman in college." I get being upset about waiting for a medication, but having been on after hour Friday call before it hurt my heart a little for the poor recipient of the call :oops:. She then proceeded to call her son and let him know it was all set. At this point her son informs her (I could hear everything) that they are "dropping part of his scholarship" and he doesn't know why. One could guess why as he also proceeded to tell her he had a couple C's. She didn't seem to think that had anything to do with it. Poor lady :confused:. We were also boarding at this time and she stayed on the phone and proceeded to knock into everyone with her bags :banghead:.
Luckily we didn't sit near her on the plane :)
We actually had a layover this time and I had a mild panic attack because we were not cleared for takeoff right away due to rain in Chicago. Luckily we still landed at 6:30 Chicago time - 15 minutes early! We rushed to the complete opposite side of the airport to make it to our connecting flight and we did. Everyone who was getting on our flight seemed to be drunk...no lie...everyone was drinking haha.
Time for Magic Bands!
IMG_1330.JPG

The gang was ready (in Halloween gear)
IMG_1328.JPG

Next up: traveling to the MCO

Last edited:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Huzzah! Excited to read your report. I just finished your last one. You and @Tuvalu are keeping the supply of reports up very nicely :p

I try :) haha honestly it will be a sad day for me in June when I graduate from residency and can't hop on planes anymore!

Love reading your reports. Also incredibly jealous you got to stay at the contemporary. Everyone always asks us the same thing, why always Disney? Why not!!!

Agreed! I don't tell people where they should vacation, so stop telling me !!! Loved the Contemporary. Would never be able to stay there without a pass holder discount/short trip though haha

Yeah, I was wondering about those pics!! I was saying to myself "There is no way she's there again!!" :D

I was...haha obviously!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
I would love to do trips like this but, with 4 kids school is killing me!! Looking forward to the TR.

I know! I am lucky in a sense that I don't have kiddos and I only have to support myself for now :)

Wow!! How exciting, I just finished your Boardwalk TR yesterday! I'm in...:D

Thanks!!! Thanks for following

YAY!!! I was really sad for you when I read your last report and you missed the parade. :)

I assure you, I was equally as sad :) haha

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 1 continued
So, at night they turn off the lights on the plane, obviously, and I turned on the light for the woman next to me since she was reading. She proceeded to hit me several times during the flight to ask if I was OK with it being on...well, obviously yes since I turned it on for you :) Also, remember how I said everyone was drunk? This was so much so that the lady next to me had another drink on the plane and proceeded to pass out on her tray table. :facepalm:
My Mom and I passed the time watching Beauty and the Beast :) The flight was actually pretty bad in terms of turbulence and lightening so I was happy when we landed!
We survived!
IMG_1334.JPG

We took our usual "fonorail" pictures
IMG_1336.JPG

IMG_1337.JPG

A business guy, who for sure thought we were crazy first time tourists with all our picture and video taking, offered to take our picture
IMG_1338.JPG

Hello Mickey! Our traditional picture
IMG_1340.JPG

At this point we got a little confused. I can't tell you the last time we picked up our luggage at the airport, but since it was so late we had to. So, stupidly I went to the B side as usual and went to baggage claim. Only our bags were on the A side :p. We eventually figured it out and made our way back to the B side and to the ME!
There was no line for our hotel and we got right on the bus. We did wait a little bit for the bus to leave. We sat in the first row and it took us awhile to realize we were in the handicapped seat...ooops
IMG_1347.JPG

Bus selfie! Who knows why its so blurry! We didn't bring our ears this trip :)
IMG_2407.jpg

I was so excited to be front row so I could get a picture of the sign, only it was no lit up :oops::(
Oh well, at least I got one of the MK sign!
IMG_2423.jpg

Of course the Contemporary is the last stop so we were on the bus forever. We got into our room around 12:30 am
We did online check - in so bypassed the front desk.
We got into our room and we were in love with the view!!! We got a theme park view!! (Thank you, AP discount!!).
IMG_1350.JPG

IMG_1351.JPG

We were exhausted, so fell into bed and fell asleep!!!

Next up: First full day!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
So whilst me and Nicole were planning a meet up you were on another Disney trip - no wonder you were busy and couldn't reply - lol! (I forgive you)
Looking forward to reading the rest of your report it will while away the days till we meet in Epcot on 6th.

RIGHT! THIS IS SO UNFAIR!!! LOL

I'm so sorry for fibbing (although I was truly busy at work)!!! I was trying to keep my secret alive!!!! Can't wait to see you guys soon :)

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Sneaky... Sneaky... I'm so jealous of your little weekend trips to Disney. Might as well get it in now while you can. It's so cool that your Mom travels with you on all your Disney trips. Can't wait to read more!

Exactly
what I was thinking. In 9 more months when I graduate residency I won't have the time :) I love traveling with my Mom. She told me when I get married someday she better still go on trips with me haha

I was so sad you guys didn't get to see MSEP last time... how exciting!!

:) Missing MSEP was awful. It seems ridiculous that I cared so much, but that parade felt like my childhood at Disney

Our short weekend trips overlapped a bit... I wonder if we crossed paths!

OMG! Maybe! You will have to see in my TR if there would have been a time we may have

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom