Trip Report That time I dislocated my kneecap in WDW...

Hi friends :) I’ll get back to that title in a little bit, I’m much better now but that certainly put an unwelcome twist on the trip. My best friend, trying to make me feel better, said I'm lucky-who gets to experience a hurricane and dislocate their kneecap both in Disney within a few months. She does have a point ;)

But first...a couple months ago, right before I went on my November trip, I was already getting bummed because I didn’t know when I’d be going back (I have problems:oops:…). That same day my cousin texted me saying she had a meeting in Orlando January 14th and asked if I wanted to fly down for the weekend and join her at Disney for a couple days. Well, DUH :D
We didn’t really talk about it much in the next few weeks until we saw each other over thanksgiving. My aunt was on board and I wanted my mom to come too but she said no – it’s too much trouble for her to ask off of work. I was bummed but understand the position she is in so didn’t push it – I also had an idea up my sleeve…
I suggested to my dad that we give my mom this trip for Christmas. I talked to her boss about getting the time off, explaining we wanted to surprise her etc and it was no problem. In the meantime, my cousin tells me that her little ones will be coming along, an even better surprise that once my mom found out about, she wouldn't miss this for anything.
SO I tell my mom the trip isn’t happening – made up an excuse about having mandatory things at work I really can’t get out of so my cousin is just going to the meeting and not spending any time at Disney. A relief for my mom so she didn’t have to worry about work. ;)
Christmas morning comes, my mom unwrapped her magicband and she was SO confused and excited when she figured out all our scheming. We let her unwrap gift certificates for the dining plan (something we never do), photopass, our hotel & flights, then the kids magicbands. Until that moment she thought it was just my aunt, cousin and me. She couldn’t believe it! What was even more exciting is that the trip was less than 3 weeks away!
My cousin didn’t tell the kids until New Years and they were just as excited!

So here we are –

Me
Eliska – 6.5
Julian – 4.5
Michelle- my cousin
Phyl- My Mom/Auntie to the kids :)
Bev – My Aunt/Nonna to the kids

We were in Orlando from Friday January 13th – Tuesday January 17th.
My mom and I stayed Friday night at Port Orleans French Quarter
Michelle & Fam stayed at a nearby hotel where her conference was going on
Saturday we all switched to a Cars Suite at Art of Animation

Hope you'll join along! :)

samantha788

Original Poster
FRIDAY – JANUARY 13th
Initially, my mom and I weren’t going to fly down until Saturday morning because Friday flights were so expensive and my mom and I couldn’t get the day off to make the cheap morning ones. A few days after booking our Saturday flights, sure enough the Friday ones dropped so much so I changed them around and booked us at Coronado Springs. A few days after that, I saw POFQ became available and was cheaper so switched – we love that hotel!:joyfull:
Our flight was supposed to be at 4:45 from Newark, which should have given us enough time to make it to MK, catch Wishes, hit some rides and make it over to the Poly for a Lapu Lapu.
As we are about to leave my apartment for the airport, I get a notice that our flight had been delayed 2.5 hours. NOOOOO. I was so frustrated. Out of curiosity I tracked it back – that plane had been delayed since it’s first flight at 7am that morning, why were we finding out just 2 hours ahead of ours that it was delayed. It still hadn’t left from its previous destination! :banghead::banghead:I was just annoyed. Eventually we got on the plane and were off…
Sven was ready

Meanwhile – the kiddos were waiting to leave from Virginia Beach!

Once we got to Orlando, we didn’t have a long wait for the magical express and quickly got to our hotel. I think we were in building 7 at French Quarter – allllll the way at the end haha, but I had never stayed on this side, so it was a nice walk.
An awful picture of the not lit up sign hah

There was no way we were making it to Magic Kingdom and even trying to get to the Poly for a drink seemed like a stretch, so we decided to head down to Sassagoula Floatworks and Food for a (very) late dinner, splitting a burger, then headed next door for a drink. We were both tired anyway and were getting up early the next day, so this was the better (smarter) choice with our delayed arrival. It was nice to end the night at the Scat Cat's Club and enjoy our short time at POFQ :)

samantha788

Original Poster
SATURDAY-JAN 14th
We were up and out early to drop our bags off at bell services and hop a bus to MK to meet my aunt and the kids!

We got to MK and the Train station looks so sad :(

We found each other and were off!

It was such a beautiful day, it was snowing at home!:p

Julian was very excited he was tall enough for everything, the last time the kids were there was almost two years ago so he was very anxious to get on the big rides.
So our first stop was big thunder mountain!

Eliska sat in between my mom and I and oh my goodness- she laughed so hard through the entire ride:D I loved it so much. Also, this was my first time on Big Thunder Mountain since the refurb and SUCH a difference! I thought the ride felt much smoother. And noticed they redid the pouches for your belongings in the cars haha:rolleyes:

Our next ride was Pirates! Eliska wasn’t such a fan of this, she had herself buried into me the whole time :joyfull: Julian was into it though!
We don't get to see the kids too often, so it was such a good feeling that they wanted to sit with us, or hold our hands etc. Eliska was my little shadow this whole trip and I loved every second of that:inlove:

Eliska picked to go on Aladdin’s Magic Carpets next – to which Julian said “this was a good choice Eliska, thank you for picking this” hahaha –the first of many great quotes from Jules:p

Auntie and Nonna couldn’t figure out the seat belt:rolleyes: they kept us laughing the whole time.

samantha788

Original Poster
We decided to get lunch and my mom and I suggested our favorite – Columbia Harbor House. There was basically nobody there which was very nice:)

After lunch we had some time before our next fastpass so made our way over to Monsters Inc Laugh Floor. Julian was getting pretty tired, they landed late and didn’t get to their hotel until 1am, so he had every right to be tired, but was being a trooper.

We made it over to Tomorrowland and everyone enjoyed the laugh floor :)

After, we went over to Princess Fairytale Hall to see Rapunzel and Tiana. Julian put on the brakes as soon as we walked in – he’s definitely not shy so just wasn’t feeling it right now. Eliska was loving this though, I don’t know what the princesses were talking about with her, but the pictures are so cute.

Julian had been asking to go into the castle, not understanding that you actually can’t go IN it, but we showed him the murals which he thought was neat. We couldn’t walk all the way through because the set up for Mickey’s Royal Friendship Faire – which was our next stop!!:inlove::inlove:

samantha788

Original Poster

samantha788

Original Poster
It had been a little drizzly so I was hoping they would still do the show, one of the dancers came out and was looking over the stage before giving the okay. Meanwhile, my aunt had thrown a poncho over the kids in the stroller, which they thought was so fun and woke them up a bit.

Then their faces when the music started and the characters came out were THE BEST! They got so excited. I probably looked the same haha

So so so many pictures, I can't help it:oops:

abzoo

I definitely (literally) feel your pain on the patella dislocation front. It's happened to me a handful of times (usually when I'm dancing like a fool) and it's both painful and also really gross if you have to push your kneecap back into place. It happened to me about a year ago and I went to WDW for a weekend trip about a week later but luckily I still had my knee brace from the times I went to the doctor for it in high school. Did you have to go to physical therapy when you got home?

Anyway... I'm glad to actually be following your trip report as you post it. Your pictures are amazing as always!!

samantha788

Original Poster
I definitely (literally) feel your pain on the patella dislocation front. It's happened to me a handful of times (usually when I'm dancing like a fool) and it's both painful and also really gross if you have to push your kneecap back into place. It happened to me about a year ago and I went to WDW for a weekend trip about a week later but luckily I still had my knee brace from the times I went to the doctor for it in high school. Did you have to go to physical therapy when you got home?

Anyway... I'm glad to actually be following your trip report as you post it. Your pictures are amazing as always!!
Oh my goodness- I cringe just thinking about it! I actually did it the first time a year ago too- I couldn't breathe without it hurting and was on crutches for weeks. That's amazing you were able to go to Disney a week later!! They didn't send me to physical therapy last time, but this time I think i'm going to. Did you go? I don't want it to happen anymore!

I'm in! Love all the pics!
Thank you!! :)

YAY! Along for the ride. :D

That Flynn though... :inlove:
Love himmmm! :inlove: Yay happy you're reading!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom