That Disney Trip!

real mad hatter

Good Morning All. Part two of my thread is, how far would you go to finance your Disney trip.Just found out today that friends of mine are selling one of their two cars to pay for a Disney trip.Don't get me wrong,Ive never understood why they needed two cars in the first place,as there's only him,her,& a wee six year old.But the car their selling will give them ( I'am guessing here ) approx $10.000. So have you ever done something like this to pay for your trip.?

Figgy1

Premium Member
Good Morning All. Part two of my thread is, how far would you go to finance your Disney trip.Just found out today that friends of mine are selling one of their two cars to pay for a Disney trip.Don't get me wrong,Ive never understood why they needed two cars in the first place,as there's only him,her,& a wee six year old.But the car their selling will give them ( I'am guessing here ) approx $10.000. So have you ever done something like this to pay for your trip.?
I've cut coupons and shopped sales and skipped buying a few things for me, but I don't think I'd go that far!

Upvote 0

Lisalyn

Uhm...no. I usually put $200 down to secure my room/package deal for the week and pay it off a little bit at a time each month until the due date. I use the "little bit a month" scenario plus coins in a jar I've saved up (towards spending money) and garage sales and such.

Now if the car is something extra they were just going to sell anyways - so be it. But to sell it specifically because I wanted to go on vacation...no matter what the vacation may be...because the money was not to be had any other way? Nope.

Upvote 0

Disvillain63

Uhm...no. I usually put $200 down to secure my room/package deal for the week and pay it off a little bit at a time each month until the due date. I use the "little bit a month" scenario plus coins in a jar I've saved up (towards spending money) and garage sales and such.

Now if the car is something extra they were just going to sell anyways - so be it. But to sell it specifically because I wanted to go on vacation...no matter what the vacation may be...because the money was not to be had any other way? Nope.
Agreed! Wouldn't sell a car just to go on vacation or use the money from the sale for a vacation. Pay a bit each month is the best method...unless you can just write a check for it...but on a teacher's salary...pay a bit each month.

Upvote 0

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member

I would quite happily sell your friends two cars to go on HOLIDAY ;)

Edit : Welcome back @real mad hatter Its been a quiet few days

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

I would never change my lifestyle or start selling off assets to afford a vacation! We cut back on certain entertainment expenses here and there to make some wiggle room in our budget, but we certainly don't jeopardize our ability to pay the bills, etc. Besides, we already live in a beautiful tourist area (the Finger Lakes of Upstate New York), dotted with wineries, state parks, museums and historical landmarks, and abounding with free events, so if paying for a vacation was a financial sacrifice, it would be silly for us to pay to go somewhere else when there is so much to do here. (But we CAN afford it! So we do! :D)

If money was tighter, rather than sell an asset, we would delay and cut back on our Disney vacation. We would drive instead of fly, stay in the campground or a value resort, get standard tickets instead of parkhoppers, bring our own food, etc. If we did these things, the vacation cost would easily be cut in half.

Upvote 0

Skibum1970

I try to save money every month for vacations by having a budget established for savings. Biggest rule for us is no credit card financing of vacations. We use the plastic to book and to pay for food so that we don't need to carry a lot of cash. However, the money has to be in the bank.

Selling a car to pay for a trip doesn't sound like the best method. Even if the car is unnecessary, it still seems that money would be better if saved for the next car that will be needed.

Upvote 0

dopeylover

We just tightened our belts around here quite a bit. We have a baby on the way, my DDs 3rd birthday, we camp every year, and we need to do some updates on our house before we sell in the next 2 years, so we're penny pinching like crazy for the next year or so! Not to mention we are now planning a 2014 WDW trip, and we'd like to go all out this trip, so we're already setting money aside for that, as I'd like to make the deposit on the trip in August. I've decided I'm going to buy 1 Disney GC a every two weeks or so grocery shopping. If I have a LOT in the next year, we can use it towards paying off the trip, and the rest will be used towards souvenirs and drinks and whatnot on the trip.

I don't think I'd sell such a large thing unless I was SURE I didn't need it. We have 2 cars in our family, an unfortunate neccessity where we live as public transportation leaves much to be desired. My husband and I have crazy schedules due to theater and police work, so there's no way we could share a car without waking our DD in the middle of the night to pick someone up! We will, however, be having a rather large yard sale next Spring, after we are done with all our baby clothes, toys, etc. (we're only having 2 kids), and all of that would most likely go to our WDW trip.

Upvote 0

Mrsdonaldduck

God bless them; I hope they have a good trip!
We have never done anything like this to finance a trip. We prioritize and save and when the time comes whatever is in the "vacation fund" determines if we go and how long we go. We do not go unless we have the money saved.

Upvote 0

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
We book a trip far enough in advance that we can pay it off over time and save up the cash - refuse to put vacation expenses on a credit card, so we don't go unless we have the money already in hand. My wife has gotten really good at saving up money for these trips. For someone who doesn't have a "paying job" (I consider taking care of our kids/home the hardest job there is) it's pretty impressive how much she can collect over 9 months to a year.

She typically will buy a Disney gift card every time she goes grocery shopping, or gets $20 cash back and stashes it. This winter she's been selling off the massive pile of kids clothing we've accumulated over the years on ebay. Sometimes we'll use my bonus and/or tax return.

Upvote 0

draybook

I've taken a 401k loan to make one trip, but it's going right back to me anyways and I upped the contribution amount to get back to where I was. I sold my CRX, which needed repairs that I couldn't make and didn't want to shell out the money on, and we used the money for a trip before. The car was a money pit and I didn't have plans for the money anyways.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom