Thank a Veteran Today!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Thank you to all the men and women who have served in the military. Although the hospital where i work didn't give us the day off, it was nice to see that the management put out a nice buffet for the veterans that work there. The vets seemed pleased to be acknowledged for their service.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
To the active and retired service members and their families, thank you all for your sacrifices.

May those in service overseas and in places of danger come home soon, and come home safe.

You are appreciated, you are loved, and you are missed.

aAV68x9_460s.jpg

@englanddg signing off...

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
My grandfather gave his WW2 naval service cover to my sister for her birthday. It's something she wanted...not sure why.

It's nothing special...looks like this.

sailor%20hat.jpg

Of course, she saw it as a fashion item (which we all thought was cute), but it meant a lot more to me and my parents, and it's funny as you get older you can see things people don't say sometimes better than what they do.

I hope she takes care of it.

Nemo14

Original Poster
We kind of stumbled into a local ceremony today that was quite moving. We had stopped to see a friend who's in a pulmonary rehab place , and they were just getting ready for a salute to the Veterans there. It was really touching to see those men (and women), most in wheelchairs, with their hands over their hearts during the flag ceremony, while a group of younger vets stood at attention.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
We kind of stumbled into a local ceremony today that was quite moving. We had stopped to see a friend who's in a pulmonary rehab place , and they were just getting ready for a salute to the Veterans there. It was really touching to see those men (and women), most in wheelchairs, with their hands over their hearts during the flag ceremony, while a group of younger vets stood at attention.
Every SEC game I attend has this portion of the pre-game, right before the anthem, where they ask service members to stand up and be recognized.

Even if they don't, you can always tell who they are because they salute the flag during the anthem.

I was really hoping to be able to take my grandfather to Disney and try and get him to be vet of the day this year, but his health took a turn for the worse (among other things) and I had to cancel that trip.

There won't be another chance, at least for him. My sister and I are trying to cook something up with the UTenn alum association though for my Dad.

Nemo14

Original Poster
Sorry you didn't get to do that trip. I remember reading about your plans. Has your dad done the flight to Washington thing (the name escapes me at the moment). I wish my dad had lived long enough to do that - he would have loved it.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Sorry you didn't get to do that trip. I remember reading about your plans. Has your dad done the flight to Washington thing (the name escapes me at the moment). I wish my dad had lived long enough to do that - he would have loved it.
No. And he's not into that. He was a JAG. He's proud of his service, but his philosophy (rightfully so) is that while he was trained to make the ultimate sacrifice, he was never (by job description) asked to do so, and therefore shuns any personal glory from his service due to that philosophy, even though he's got a Legion of Merit with 4 oak leafs clusters and a Silver Star.

He was a cold warrior, and he feels (and I agree with him here) that the honors should go first to the people who went into hot zones.

Nemo14

Original Poster
My dad was infantry - he drove tanks. He never talked to us much about what he did, and his records were destroyed in a fire, but my sister and I have pieced together some of what he did.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Oh, @Nemo14, it just occured to me you may be referring to the program for WWII vets to fly to DC to see their memorial.

No, my grandfather is no longer in a position where he can do that. Flying doesn't work for him...part of why I had to cancel the trip.

He's still alive and active with his Mason Lodge, but really going more than half an hour away from the house (and major medical care) is probably not the best idea for him any longer.

I won't go into much more detail because it's not necessary, but the man is 92...

Nemo14

Original Poster
Oh, @Nemo14, it just occured to me you may be referring to the program for WWII vets to fly to DC to see their memorial.

No, my grandfather is no longer in a position where he can do that. Flying doesn't work for him...part of why I had to cancel the trip.

He's still alive and active with his Mason Lodge, but really going more than half an hour away from the house (and major medical care) is probably not the best idea for him any longer.

I won't go into much more detail because it's not necessary, but the man is 92...
I get that - my mom is 94.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
My dad was infantry - he drove tanks. He never talked to us much about what he did, and his records were destroyed in a fire, but my sister and I have pieced together some of what he did.
He may have been Infantry at some point (everyone starts out there, in theory, with Basic)...but if he drove tanks he was Armored Calvary. Small note for you two to look into if you are researching him ever.

Nemo14

Original Poster
He may have been Infantry at some point (everyone starts out there, in theory, with Basic)...but if he drove tanks he was Armored Calvary. Small note for you two to look into if you are researching him ever.
Oh we know that - we do have some info and a pretty good idea now of where he was. I can't even begin to imagine the atrocities he saw.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Oh we know that - we do have some info and a pretty good idea now of where he was. I can't even begin to imagine the atrocities he saw.
The men who served in my family are equally quiet about it. Though, I know my father was mostly administrative and international law.

Then again, a large part of the military is administrative and logistics.

My grandfather is retired from 3 services (yep, three, long story)
His two sons, one is retired Air Force, the other Army.

prberk

Had the blessing today of attending my local county's annual service at the old courthouse building. It was very nice, with a good number of veterans, even a number of new trainees from Fort Lee. It is good to remember.

Veterans Day 2014 in Chesterfield (7).JPG Veterans Day 2014 in Chesterfield (8).JPG

I recommend watching some of the wartime films made by Walt Disney Productions during the war for WWII. They were put out several years ago as a piece of the Walt Disney Treasures series, but I was moved in watching them, at how much closer to the war effort we were at that time. Today we take so much for granted. Back then, Disney even did a cartoon to encourage people to save bacon grease and return it to stores for re-use as oil for machinery.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Had the blessing today of attending my local county's annual service at the old courthouse building. It was very nice, with a good number of veterans, even a number of new trainees from Fort Lee. It is good to remember.

View attachment 73327 View attachment 73328

I recommend watching some of the wartime films made by Walt Disney Productions during the war for WWII. They were put out several years ago as a piece of the Walt Disney Treasures series, but I was moved in watching them, at how much closer to the war effort we were at that time. Today we take so much for granted. Back then, Disney even did a cartoon to encourage people to save bacon grease and return it to stores for re-use as oil for machinery.

Without a doubt.

My Generation (tail end of X is me, but I associated mostly with Y) doesn't remember the cold war. I do...vividly.

But I also saw East Germany as a child.

War is something, to many people, that isn't a national effort, rather it's a constant state. And as a result that take for granted (outside of lip service) the people who participate in it and their respective roles.

I'll just leave it at that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom