Test Track question

Jordan's Mom

Original Poster
I have never been on this ride (but I'm dying to!). My question concerns my preschooler... he likes to go fast, but doesn't like Goofy's Barnstormer -- because of that I've never tried him on Splash Mountain or Thunder Mountain, which he says look "too scary". I think it's the drops that shake him up, and I heard that Test Track is more about "fast" than roller coaster-like.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated before I accidentally scar him for life dragging him rides with me! LOL!

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
TT is nothing like a roller coaster, there is one curved path in which you speed up to 65mph, but thats about it- even then i'd compare it to an average city highway then to a roller coaster

Maria

I think you could help by telling him first that he is going to experience how the cars are tested before they go into the market; so when he goes inside the ride he knows what´s going on, and I am sure he will be more interested on it and will enjoy it more. Then he will get into the speeding part and I am sure he will like it. Tell him to pay attention to the board outside and he will be waiting to see how fast his own car is going! Something exciting to tell to his friends at preschool...... hehe ;)

Lance

I don't know... The only intense part is the speed test. I don't think I would let my preschooler go on it, if I had a child, but depends. My 11 year old sister didn't want to go on it, because she heard the wizzing(of the cars going by every 10 seconds) once your close to the building. But after she went on, she loved it, of course. But here's the funny part: she is never hesitant to go on RnR, thinks it's the best, but she was hesitant to go on TT, so it's anybody's guess.

Jordan's Mom

Original Poster
I may go ahead and try it. I know that I go faster then 65 at times (shhh, don't tell anyone) and as long as there is nothing else that is scary or traumatic (potentially) I think it's worth a shot. Maybe I'm just desperate. I haven't been on a thrill ride since before he was born, so I'm trying to indoctrinate him and make him LOVE them as much as I do (except for simulator rides, which make me really sick for some reason... doesn't make sense that I can ride any coaster but NOT simulator rides!).

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I hear a lot of people say that TT is useless because you can drive faster than that in your car on the Freeway.

Well rememeber that on Test Track you are sitting just a few inches off the ground, in an open top car, driving around steep banked track. Oh and best of all - there is no driver! ;)

I would also add that Test Track goes faster than Rock N RollerCoaster - and I dont hear people complain that RnR is slow. :)

Trust me, a trip on Test Track is nothing like a ride along the Freeway! :)

I have never seen anyone come of Test Track freaked out like they can when they come of a coaster - so I think you will all be fine - give it a go! :)

wdwrules

we went last year with my little sister, she also gets scared on the rollercoaster rides. she was a little nervous waiting in line for tt but we explained to her that there is no loops or drops on it so she went on it. after the first time we went on it 4 more times cause it turned out to be her favorite ride. the only part that might be a little scary is on the speed part of it but if he likes speed he will love this ride

Chris

Last time I was at Epcot my Kindergardener and my 3 year old rode it. They thought it was great. If they don't get scared in the line as the cars woosh over their heads they should be fine on the ride.

sillyspook13

I'm afraid of a lot of things...:cry:

You could even call me a little paranoid...:lookaroun

But....:veryconfu

I once fell asleep on Test Track!!!:brick:

So he should be fine.:slurp:

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by Jordan's Mom
I may go ahead and try it. I know that I go faster then 65 at times (shhh, don't tell anyone) and as long as there is nothing else that is scary or traumatic (potentially) I think it's worth a shot. Maybe I'm just desperate. I haven't been on a thrill ride since before he was born, so I'm trying to indoctrinate him and make him LOVE them as much as I do (except for simulator rides, which make me really sick for some reason... doesn't make sense that I can ride any coaster but NOT simulator rides!).

My husband is the same way...he can go on RnR, SM, Duelling Dragons at IOA, any coaster, but hates Star Tours, Body Wars, and the teacups because they make him queasy! I, on the other hand, hate heights, but can go on the teacups, BW, ST, 10 times in a row!

Debbie

If you succeed in getting your pre-schooler on TT, please write back and let us know. I have been in your shoes for 6 years now! My son is 6 now and my husband and I are tired of doing parent swap. But my husband refuses to make Don ride something he says he is scared of for fear he'll never want to go on anything the rest of our trip. Our only solution for next time we go is to leave the boys at home;)

Dizknee_Phreek

Originally posted by Debbie
If you succeed in getting your pre-schooler on TT, please write back and let us know. I have been in your shoes for 6 years now! My son is 6 now and my husband and I are tired of doing parent swap. But my husband refuses to make Don ride something he says he is scared of for fear he'll never want to go on anything the rest of our trip. Our only solution for next time we go is to leave the boys at home;)

i respect you all so much for doing that!! the first time i went to WDW, i was in the 2nd grade, and the only amusement parks i had been to was a place called Holiday World in Santa Clause, IN and Dolly World in TN. so i really had no experience at all with scary rides or roller coasters, no kidding! they really freaked me out! so we're at MK our first trip in 1992, and i was a little afraid to get on Haunted Mansion, but my parents forced me on anyway. the entire ride i was crying and had my face buried as deeply as i could in my dad's arm. the times i did look up were the worst possible times...i remember one in particular was in the hallway of doors, and just so happen i looked up when the one with the hands on the door are bending the corner down....for some reason it looked a lot closer to me then it actually is. i was so tramatized by that though. i swear it was years before i went on it again...actually, my parents forced me on it yet again. i was so angry that they forced me on that i never once closed my eyes...i've been going back on it, at least once every trip since then.
as for roller coasters...it took a few years before mom forced me onto Barnstormer. (i think that was the year Toontown opened, or around the time it opened) that was, what? 1997? so i was in the 7th grade when i rode my first roller coaster. and now i have to ride Big Thunder and Space Mountain everytime i go....i gave up on Barnstormer because it was too short.
anyway, moral of the stories....don't ever force your kid onto a ride that he/she thinks looks scary. my stories may have ended happily, but i'm sure not all stories like that end the way mine do. don't risk it. and by personal experience, it makes your kid hate you for an hour, at least, which i'm sure isn't a pleasent experience for any loving parent! like i said, don't risk it....when they feel like they're ready to ride it, they will. just don't make them.

The Mom

Premium Member
Thanks,Diznee Phreek! I wish every parent at every theme park could read your post...and follow your advice!!!

My son went on TT as soon as it opened. He's 8 now, so I guess he must have been about 5? No problem whatsoever, he loves it! However, he was a little scared about SM last time (he loves Splash & has been fine with BTM) but went on it anyway. He was OK, but really doesn't like it. He still refuses RnR and ToT, and that's fine with me, as I have no interest in them...I don't like heights and don't do upside down very well...I've tried it...don't like it!

As Diznee said, get in line, and if your child is really upset, wait until later.

Debbie, I know it seems like it will be forever until they get big enough to ride everything, but trust me, you'll look back and wonder where the time went! The day will come when they'll be forcing YOU to go on a ride that frightens you!

Jordan's Mom

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for their input on this topic! I plan to get in line, but if he is scared or says he doesn't want to go on, we won't. He's tall enough now for Splash and Thunder Mountains, but we aren't going on them since he readily says they're "too scary for me."

My barometer for rides that he says he wants to go on (particularly dark rides) is immediately after we get off, I ask him if he'd like to go on it again some other day. If he says "no", then I know it was a bit much (this happened last time with Haunted Mansion).

I leave Monday morning so I'm getting really psyched now. :D

monorail256

i think he'd like it except for the part where the truck comes out and looks like its gonna hit you... thats the only part I hate!!! it still scares me and I have rode that ride tons of times!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom